Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I’m going to be honest I don’t really need the portability now. But slim gaming laptops are nice bits of kit.
  • I have my PC at a desk and use wired Steamlink to play it on the big telly. It even manages streaming 4K @ 60fps.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Audica is out:
    Another rhythm game I'm crap at.
    This dude just ain't got no rhythm.
    You rang.....
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Probably your reflexes are shit too. You're welcome.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    I have my PC at a desk and use wired Steamlink to play it on the big telly. It even manages streaming 4K @ 60fps.

Ideally want to hook up the Quest wherever, lounge, kitchen, bedroom and abroad with just the one USB C connection. Even a small case isn't an option because of the aforementioned monitor need. Would sell the laptop if the next wireless headset is a doozy.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    If it’s only to carry around the house don’t worry about the ultra thin ones. They will cost a lot more. Just get a standard one with good components. It’ll be thicker but you’re only moving it from room to room. Oh and make sure the SSD is nice and fast. Makes a massive difference.
  • @jimmy the lips
    I don't have a Facebook account blad. I can't accept your request or chat without one. Fuckers.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Yup.  That’s the let down with this.  Fuckers.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Create a fictional one chaps then forget about it.
  • Probably your reflexes are shit too. You're welcome.

Oh hell yes.
    Too many years living in arcades have worn them out.
    At least I can still play tiddlywinks (if only that was available on the quest).
    You rang.....
  • b0r1s wrote:
    God I’m nowhere near that. I have an MSI GS75 i7 and RTX 2070 MaxQ. At the time I needed a portable gaming laptop as I was travelling to the missus a lot. It’s more like a MacBook Pro form factor.

It’s got a nice 17” 1080p 144hz screen and steelseries keyboard but I paid quite a bit more for portability. It handles everything VR wise fine. And most games even RTX stuff fine at 1080p.

After your post I did a bit of research and have invested in a similar machine to yours. Thanks fella, delivery this weekend. I really appreciate your write up and can’t wait to see how it all works out. Properly looking forward to pc gaming again, haven’t done that for over 15 years and can’t wait for the linkage on the quest.
  • pantyfire wrote:
    @jimmy the lips
    I don't have a Facebook account blad. I can't accept your request or chat without one. Fuckers.

Rubbish. Get facebook, don’t discriminate against me because I have social media.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    God I’m nowhere near that. I have an MSI GS75 i7 and RTX 2070 MaxQ. At the time I needed a portable gaming laptop as I was travelling to the missus a lot. It’s more like a MacBook Pro form factor. It’s got a nice 17” 1080p 144hz screen and steelseries keyboard but I paid quite a bit more for portability. It handles everything VR wise fine. And most games even RTX stuff fine at 1080p.
    After your post I did a bit of research and have invested in a similar machine to yours. Thanks fella, delivery this weekend. I really appreciate your write up and can’t wait to see how it all works out. Properly looking forward to pc gaming again, haven’t done that for over 15 years and can’t wait for the linkage on the quest.

Bloody hell that was quick. I spent ages deliberating over about four different laptops.
  • Don’t underestimate how much focus and attention I put into my research, almost full specs are 17.3" MSI GE75 Raider 9SG-1066UK, FHD, IPS, 240Hz, i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD+1TB HDD, 8GB RTX 2080, Win10

Saved a boatload compared to the Alienware machine I was looking at, didn’t consider the msi but you pointed me in a different direction and I think I defo got a better deal. thanks fella.
  • Remember that a 2080 in a laptop is not the same as a 2080 in a desktop and CPU performance is similarly affected. Clock speeds are set lower and it's heating that causes most of the problems.

You're probably looking at a 10 - 15% difference in the highest frame rates in VR but it's the lower end that sees the biggest problems as this will trigger reprojection, and micro stuttering is a common VR problem in demanding games when the juice isn't quite there. Get thicker laptops that have better cooling if possible.

A well ventilated PC should also give you a healthy overclocking bonus to widen the gap further.

Saying all that, a 2080 laptop for the Quest should be more than enough for any game you can throw at it as it's only pushing 80Hz.

Edit: https://www.techspot.com/article/1849-desktop-vs-laptop-gaming-performance/

• Looks like SideQuest doesn't have stuff to load custom songs for BeatSaber anymore. Is that shut down now?

There's a lot of cool demos up on there now. Will be giving Pavlov a go
  • Consensus is don't use SQ for Pavlov, get the latest from the Pavlov discord and use the install.bat. Not sure why, and some do use SQ, but the devs always say don't install via SQ.
  • Looks like SideQuest doesn't have stuff to load custom songs for BeatSaber anymore. Is that shut down now? There's a lot of cool demos up on there now. Will be giving Pavlov a go
    Yes there's a new way of doing it now with something called BMBF. 
    You can still install BMBF via SQ but after you have you can download songs to your quest while in the quest.  
    It runs from inside oculus tv.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Right then, new system setup and ready...  stupidly I thought the charge cable that came with the quest would work but I get a message saying that it wont work and to get a better cable for linking it to my laptop...   buggar..   guess im waiting until Monday then :-(
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yep and not all work with it. Check the listing and try different USB ports if it still doesn’t work. Some do som don’t.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I may be able to buy a quest but still not quite sure on the pc boost aspect. Any help?
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Sorry Reg what do you mean by boost? You mean the Oculus Link?
  • It's not bad reg. It's too front heavy for me for long play and the fov sucks. Screen door okish.

I still think it's best suited for short acadey stuff tbh, which it's fucking great at. If it's purely for stuff like Elite Dangerous and Alyx then tethered hmds are coming out thick and fast. I suspect the new Samsung one will be a belter.
  • FOV is much better than PSVR by far which was my previous benchmark. I did look at a rift s but the new lady looked hugely unimpressed so going to stick with the quest and link
  • Right then, new system setup and ready...  stupidly I thought the charge cable that came with the quest would work but I get a message saying that it wont work and to get a better cable for linking it to my laptop...   buggar..   guess im waiting until Monday then :-(

Yeah it kind of sucks they didn't have the foresight or mind to make the charge cable a proper data cable too. I just realised my official cable doesn't come till late Feb too so I have to wait :(
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    Sorry Reg what do you mean by boost? You mean the Oculus Link?

Basically I think having a quest and hooking it up to a pc gives it a boost. Is that right? How it work.
  • Yes it does, so it can deal with better gfx, textures etc. It will work with Alyx tethered, whereas not tethered it won't.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Reg, the Quest store is accessible through the headset and bespoke games are kept on it's internal SSD.

Using a compatible cable, you stream the Steam/Rift/Vive store games from your PC (and thus all the graphics).

• When it’s Linked, your PC thinks it’s a Rift S.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!