Le grand chien 3.0
  • A winner is SNES!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Djornson wrote:
    First to 12 now is it? What is this madness?

It lost me when people started ignoring the objective fact that the Dreamcast is the superior console and started voting against it because they never owned one.

it's like saying that a tin of baked beans is somehow superior to Kobe beef.

I've played a lot of the games people love on it on other systems.
    I would still vote Snes.
    As good as DC games might be you are putting them up against Super Metroid, SMW, Yoshis Island, Super Mario Kart, FF6, Chrono Trigger, Starfox. The list goes on and on.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    The SNES was the first console I ever owned, and introduced me to the joys of console gaming. The Dreamcast was the first console I ever bought with my own money.

I love both of them, but the SNES holds a special place in my heart, so it's through gritted teeth but my vote is the SNES.

Quoted for the page turn bug.
  • Snes although a hearty handshake and good game to DC
  • Dreamcast for me. Suited my gaming preferences more than any other console has past or present
    Highlights for me:
    Ikaruga
    Guilty Gear
    SF3 Triple Strike
    Gunbird 2
    Soul Calibur
    Powerstone
    VT2
    Metrostreet Racer
    MvsC2
    Shenmue
    Ferrari 355
    JSR
    Crazy Taxi
    Daytona
    Bomberman
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • LivDiv wrote:
    I've played a lot of the games people love on it on other systems. I would still vote Snes. As good as DC games might be you are putting them up against Super Metroid, SMW, Yoshis Island, Super Mario Kart, FF6, Chrono Trigger, Starfox. The list goes on and on.

Yes.

And the Dreamcast wins.

for innovation, games, hardware design, et al

on every conceivable metric it is the better machine.

You can even use DreamSNES and play every single SNES game on it.
  • It’s over, SNES won. 

DS vs. Wii next. 

My vote goes to...

Wii
  • Elf, let reg do it.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    It’s over, SNES won.  DS vs. Wii next.  My vote goes to... Wii
    Weird opening gambit, given we all know the DS is going to win the whole thing.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Should allow a day for each battle, Swirl hasn't voted yet FFS.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yeah but who knows what he would pick
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Yeah but who knows what he would pick
    Heh.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    The SNES was the first console I ever owned, and introduced me to the joys of console gaming. The Dreamcast was the first console I ever bought with my own money.

I love both of them, but the SNES holds a special place in my heart, so it's through gritted teeth but my vote is the SNES.

Quoted for the page turn bug.

Goobs still pissed from Saturday morning.

• The Dreamcast was a fine beast for sure, but looking at the big list of games from a few pages back I can see why I was never that tempted. A lot of arcade games, vs fighters and racers, which by that point I wasn't fussed about. Same with the online stuff. No doubt it was superb at what it did though.

The SNES on the other hand stands out especially for me because that was when I used to play games with friends regularly. Bomberman, Striker, Smash Tennis, Mario Kart and of course the mighty SF2 Turbo will always be my greatest multiplayer memories. But also because some of its games are still up there as the best of all time even now. Genuine timeless classics.
  • Dreamcast had Bomberman online (which if the console had survived would have seen a wider release)

Sega Worldwide Soccer is a better game than Striker 

Virtua Tennis is better than Smash Tennis.

Street Fighter 3: Third Strike is better than Street Fighter 2

Which just leaves Mario Kart, which is great for nostalgia but has been superseded many times and the SNES had no racers that could compete with MSR.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Should allow a day for each battle, Swirl hasn't voted yet FFS.
    I just woke up to about 8 pages of this madness!

All I can conclude is you were all spoiled as kids. I didn't even know about consoles as a kid, and no one I knew had one.
    Closest I got was a nephew with a GameBoy, I wasn't allowed to play it but I could watch while he was playing Mario. And it's impossible to try and look in on a GB screen. He later ended up in prison for serious things so that makes me feel slightly better about missing out on the whole gaming thing growing up.

• The problem here is we're quite often comparing a console we played on to one we didn't. The above is certainly true, but if you played the SNES ones with your mates, and not the DC ones, you're going to go with the SNES.

I actually didn't own either at the time of release. I played on friends consoles, but only bought them myself long after they were dead. I certainly had a lot more fun with the DC games.
  • Nina wrote:
    He later ended up in prison for serious things

Reg, due to this new information, you need to reverse the MS/GBA decision.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Nina wrote:
    He later ended up in prison for serious things

Reg, due to this new information, you need to reverse the MS/GBA decision.

Bye
  • Dreamcast had Bomberman online (which if the console had survived would have seen a wider release) Sega Worldwide Soccer is a better game than Striker  Virtua Tennis is better than Smash Tennis. Street Fighter 3: Third Strike is better than Street Fighter 2 Which just leaves Mario Kart, which is great for nostalgia but has been superseded many times and the SNES had no racers that could compete with MSR.
    Whether or not I agree with those, and I don't entirely (much prefer SF2 Turbo to SF3 for example), that's not really the point I was going for. There are loads of better footy games than Striker, and it certainly isn't one of the games that's aged well, in fact it's crapness was part of the appeal and one of the reasons we had an absolute blast with it back then.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I can't even remember seeing consoles at other kids places, or seeing them in Christmas / Sinterklaas catalogues. It just didn't seem to exist when growing up. I remember at some point kids having pc's with games, but not consoles.

(and please don't reverse MD - GBA, I was talking original Gameboy, nothing comes close to the GBA)
  • The problem here is we're quite often comparing a console we played on to one we didn't. The above is certainly true, but if you played the SNES ones with your mates, and not the DC ones, you're going to go with the SNES.

I actually didn't own either at the time of release. I played on friends consoles, but only bought them myself long after they were dead. I certainly had a lot more fun with the DC games.

Thems the breaks.
    The fact the Neo Geo and DC didnt sell well feeds into it.
    I think both have similarities in that they offered the "Arcade at home" experience. Which is great if that is what you want, which leads to people being quite passionate about them.
    If you want something else or more variety from a console both are pretty poor compared to their peers.
  • I really rate the DC but snes is so clearly the winner here just on impact and legacy alone. The games were great too. I had one so probably biased but, I mean, c'mon.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    I WAS ACQUITTED
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Thems the breaks. The fact the Neo Geo and DC didnt sell well feeds into it. I think both have similarities in that they offered the "Arcade at home" experience. Which is great if that is what you want, which leads to people being quite passionate about them. If you want something else or more variety from a console both are pretty poor compared to their peers.

The Dreamcast was more than just an arcade at home experience, the majority of its most innovative games didn't have arcade releases.

The Neo Geo didn't sell because it was expensive, at £199 the Dreamcast didn't sell because people were stupid.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I think the DC didn’t sell due to poor marketing and anticipation of PS2. It was my favourite console at the time and I actually didn’t bother getting a PS2 for quite a while because if it and then only to play Ico.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    I think the DC didn’t sell due to poor marketing and anticipation of PS2. It was my favourite console at the time and I actually didn’t bother getting a PS2 for quite a while because if it and then only to play Ico.

I didn't get a PS2 at all until 2014, god damn bullshit about 20 times the power and the emotion engine, lying shit bags.

and people (and governments) fell for it.
  • Best games though.
  • Sega's reputation ruined the DC as much as anything. After the Mega CD, 32X and Saturn they'd undone all their good work and people weren't paying attention. By the time they realised the DC was actually pretty decent it was already being discounted.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!