GOTY 2019 & GOTD 2010-2019 - Full results on Page 1
  • One of my Zelda images wouldn't upload. Oh well, you all know what it looks like.
  • Pour one out for all the writing I did on those low-tier games
  • I skipped to the end and was disappointed. Nice job Jon.
  • (srsly well done)
  • (that's not sarcasm)
  • Thanks again to everyone who did last minute writing. Hopefully people will give it a proper read through.
  • I think it's a great list overall. I do wonder if it doesn't fully represent the forum though, knowing how popular certain multiplayer series are, for example. Like Forza Horizon, which had a bit of a split vote, but even put together it would have been surprisingly low.
  • Ah trippy, I almost put in a reference to The Road, but pulled it at the last moment.

The only thing that nags me about The Last of Us is that they give you the option to stealth, but then require you to kill people at certain points.

It was doubly frustrating when you actually managed to sneak past all the baddies only for the game to refuse progress because it wanted to do a cut scene and it needed you to kill everyone to trigger it. I didn't mention this in the writeup because I'm sure I was a niche case, but it was the only part that I didnt like.

I only mention this now because of the reference to battles. I had the opposite experiance, taking every opportunity to avoid conflict, using the distraction of throwing a brick, and well timed darts between cover. If they had fully comitted to each option this game would have been perfect.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Hmm maybe I should play botw. WiiU version isn't too nerfed right??
  • My only real grumble is the lack of votes for Mario Odyssey.  It's obvious how/why it happened and I'm partly to blame myself having voted for 3D World instead, but it's odd not to see it on a list of the best 147 games of the last decade.
  • Here's another thing that may give some indication how opinions (or perhaps just the forum) have changed over time.

Comparisons with previous GOTY top 5s (original score/GOTD score)

GOTY 2012
    The Walking Dead – 96/6
    Journey – 80/18
    Far Cry 3 - 64/3
    XCom – 58/12
    Trials Evo – 42/24

GOTY 2013
    The Last of Us – 200/61
    GTA V – 142/31
    Fire Emblem: Awakening – 84/12
    Super Mario 3D World – 72/20
    Tearaway – 65/0

GOTY 2014
    Destiny – 73/8
    Mario Kart 8 – 56/15
    Bayonetta 2 – 37/0
    Dark Souls 2 – 28/0
    Alien: Isolation – 20/7

GOTY 2015
    Bloodborne – 150/61
    Metal Gear Solid V – 101/20
    Witcher 3 – 62/54
    Ori and the Blind Forest – 58/10
    Rocket League – 49/36

GOTY 2016
    The Last Guardian – 211/38
    Dark Souls 3 – 110/12
    Forza Horizon 3 – 107/3
    Doom – 96/8
    Inside – 81/23

GOTY 2017
    Zelda: BotW – 257/151
    Mario Odyssey – 157/0
    Yakuza 0 – 66/25
    NieR: Automata – 52/8
    Splatoon 2 – 50/16

GOTY 2018
    Slay the Spire – 60/34
    Dead Cells – 44/7
    Celeste – 39/8
    God of War – 38/0
    Into the Breach – 36/9

GOTY 2019
    Sekiro - 29/6
    Control - 18/4
    Untitled Goose Game - 18/0
    Apex Legends - 16/0
    Resident Evil 2 – 16/0
  • And a few observations to add to that:

Hollow Knight finished joint 8th here – it’s vote was split between 2017 and 2018 for GOTY.

Destiny 2, 16th for GOTD, only finished 10th in 2017, below a number of games that barely featured in the GOTD list.

Hotline Miami – only 10th in 2012, ends up joint 13th for the whole decade.

Spelunky HD – way down in joint 26th in 2012, ends up 10th for the decade.
  • And finally:

Breakdown of the top 20 by year

2010 - 2
    2011 - 3
    2012 - 2
    2013 - 2
    2014 - 0
    2015 - 3
    2016 - 1
    2017 - 5
    2018 - 1
    2019 - 1
  • JonB wrote:
    I think it's a great list overall. I do wonder if it doesn't fully represent the forum though, knowing how popular certain multiplayer series are, for example. Like Forza Horizon, which had a bit of a split vote, but even put together it's would have been surprisingly low.

It is an interesting one.

I erred and didn't put d2 in my gotd, even though hours have been poured.

Its become a game I just play, not gaas, but gaah (game as a habit).

I tended to vote for the big highs and the feels.

I can't remember if gav voted, but I wonder if he, or others who still do football titles, wouldn't necessarily put a fifa in their goty, despite pumping hours into multiple iterations.

Come to that I didn't even think of putting in nba2k, even though I had a great time with 2k11 and 2k15.

Weird how we compartmentalise stuff sometimes. Imo. Etc.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • D2 is simply down to quality of post launch dlc udpates. It was a fun romp through release date content for 30 odd hours, and mp was solid, but I could take or leave it for a while there, but anyone who returned after a year or two was in for a treat and a lot of stuff to do.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    I think it's a great list overall. I do wonder if it doesn't fully represent the forum though, knowing how popular certain multiplayer series are, for example. Like Forza Horizon, which had a bit of a split vote, but even put together it's would have been surprisingly low.

Firstly, outstanding job collating and presenting the participants votes and thoughts, beanies off mate.

Had ten badgers playing Forza Horizon on Friday but only a few of us took part in this. Bit of a shame for the poll and the series really because as you rightly say, it's a lively corner still going strong after almost a decade. Believe we are firing up Horizon 2 again on the 14th, now in it's sixth year. #forzaplayers.

retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Well that was interesting!
    Well done JonB!
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Yup great work Jon. Makes Elf's standard efforts look frankly amateurish.
  • Top work Jon, much enjoyed.

The Walking Dead and Tearaway nearly, nearly made my list. On these things I only ever put one of a series, or Destiny would also be on there.

Looking at the thread, I apparantly did not vote in 2017, despite posting in the thread multiple times. I could have sworn I did, as I have memories of voting for ARMS. Perhaps there was another thread. Either way, I would have certainly voted for D2 top. I think though the votes are coming from Forsaken onwards, which is well past the launch months.
  • Be too hard and not worth the hassle, but it'd be interesting to work out which titles lost votes over the decade due to change in forum members/drop off vs better games or just lack of staying power for different titles.

2017 seems to have been a bumper year, botw seems to have retained the love it got. Mario odessey hasn't.

Anyhoo.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    My only real grumble is the lack of votes for Mario Odyssey.  It's obvious how/why it happened and I'm partly to blame myself having voted for 3D World instead, but it's odd not to see it on a list of the best 147 games of the last decade.

I decided to go for one Mario game. When I could vote for Galaxy 2, there’s no reason to vote for Odyssey which was somehat disappointing anyway.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Yup great work Jon. Makes Elf's standard efforts look frankly amateurish.

Yeah yeah I get it.

Anyone else wanna rub it in?!

JonB so best though. Top work, must’ve been a mammoth effort. I look forward to your GotY 2020 and GotG.
  • I own both GotD 3 and 4, both having been night on release. I have played neither. 

Fuck my life.
  • I know my tastes tend to differ from most, so I was curious how popular the games I voted for would be with others. As I thought...

10. ARMS: Only I voted for it.
    9. Mad Max: Only I voted for it.
    8. Stardew Valley: Only I and one other voted for it.
    7. Uncharted 4: Only I voted for it?*
    6. The Last of Us: Lots of people voted for it.
    5. Sleeping Dogs: Only I voted for it.
    4. Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor: Only I voted for it.
    3. No Man’s Sky: Only I and one other voted for it.
    2. Marvel’s Spider-man: Only I and one other voted for it.
    1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild: Winner winner chicken dinner.

* The score suggests that at least one, and at most three other people voted for it but, looking through the thread, I can only see superflyninja mention it, and even then it’s not clear which game would get the vote.
  • Top work Jon. This was a good read - enjoyed going through everyone’s thoughts, regardless of whether a game was my thing or not.
  • Yup I've read it twice now. Adding write ups was a nice touch. It's blates not for me, but I've developed a spot of Destiny 2 fomo. It does sound good.
  • Really good read, B&B at it’s finest.
    Massive props to JonB for his efforts
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Outstanding thread work by Jon, and indeed all who contributed their thoughts.
    I have thoroughly enjoyed reading all this.

3O2roDt.gif

well done!

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • So where are the results for GotD? This thread is confusing
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!