Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Observation is a million times better and criminally overlooked
  • I enjoyed Gone Home but found Tacoma a bit of a chore.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Outer Wilds is on the list. It's very appealing. Clunky controls? Looping structure? Weird? What's not to like...? No company discount, though...my team is the red headed stepchild of our group. Indie games, what's the point, amirite?  Once I have money, though, i'll be on it.
    I personally don’t get the control gripes people have been having, it’s very basic spaceship control stuff - thrust, pitch and yaw and all that. The autopilot does 90% of the work if you decide to use it. It’s basically a game where the mechanics are 100% required to tell the story and that is one of the greatest compliments a game can get.

The controls are pretty simple for me, but I guess not everyone will get them. I reckon Ive played enough Ace Combat to cope with it, and even then it feels so much slower that its never a case of feeling out of control.

Autopilot, on the other hand, is occasionally very unreliable. Crashing into the sun or dark bramble at 400m/s is not unheard of. I put it down the the Hearthian's early space tech being a patchwork job.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • I finally got Ace Combat 7 for PC, and I can safely say it will be getting into the top ten. Ace Combat 6 would probably have been there for the last decade, played that to death. I even played through again it on the hardest difficulty, something I normally don't bother doing with games, and I think I'll be doing the same with 7. Exhilarating stuff.

You can get it for a decent price on CD Keys currently.
  • Do you have a flight stick? It's bloody hard with it, but so much fun.

The VR is a gamechanger though.
  • Just a controller, pretty happy with it. I should get a flight stick for space sims and such at some point.

The music is great too, and all the little details and menus, it all just feels great.
  • Just had one of the best gaming moments this decade in Ace Combat 7. Swooping over a large scale battle in my crazy Russian fighter/bomber firing off missiles and bursts of machine cannon, stooping down on a platoon letting a couple loose before rolling slightly to one side dodging SAMs and leveling out a few metres above the sand, surveying the map in between attacks and rushing to intercept formations of bombers before they get to our base, fending off swarms of fighter drones before afterburning full speed up the backside of the mothership trying to hit its engines, proper full mental exhilarating Independence Day shit.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Tacoma was atmospheric but relatively laboured.

I would recommend What Remains of Edith Finch.
  • This is looking like my final list as Shakedown Hawaii and Blood & Truth are the only other 2019 releases I'm likely to finish by the end of the month.  

After much deliberation:

1. Heave-Ho [10]
    2. Supermarket Shriek [9]
    3. Lonely Mountains Downhill [9]
    4. Shovel Knight: King of Cards [9]
    5. The Outer Wilds [8]

and the rest of the better-than-7's:
    Spoiler:

Disappointments of the year: Creature in the Well [6] and the still-excellent Trials Rising [8]

Will update OP shortly.
  • I've finished Control, just some optional post-credits stuff to polish off. Don't think it's quite a top 5, but not far off.

Only Death Stranding left to play now, which I haven't started yet. I doubt I'll get through before the end of the month. So I should put my own list up.
  • I didn't include a worst/most disappointing game category in this because I thought someone might do a separate thread. But since no one has we may as well include it here.

So, feel free to edit in a 'Worst/most disappointing game' category into your lists, with up to 3 choices.
  • For me they would be

1) luigis mansion - utterly pointless, wacky controls and not gamily interesting in any way just trudgy

2) outer worlds - I only played one world and it felt like a hermetically sealed vacuous piece of fluff pretending to be Douglas Adams. Narratively conservative with a eyelashes batting towards of thought provoking in what is supposed to be a writing based game. On a gameplay level this happens: Max chat skills and do anything you want. But also kill everyone so you can scoop things in peace. An RPG where you just play to the mechanics rather than any character.

• 1. Creature in the Well.

Pretty good really, but that wasn't what I was after. Pinball Furi should've been an [8] or above.

2. Trials Rising

It's the front end that sucked, the game is still superb. The progression system didn't need to be messed around with and the changes turned what should have been a near perfect game into a chore. Easily my most played game this year across two consoles but the annoyances are enough for it to get a mention.

3. Baba is You

Was disappointed I didn't like it, but I'm sure it's great for galaxy brains.
  • If you haven't, edit them into your other lists please.
  • I think you mean rising there moot - fusion had a decent UI at least.

I’d keep playing rising but sitting playing it was messing my back up. I think I put more hours into it than every other game over the past 2 years combined.
  • 1) luigis mansion - utterly pointless, wacky controls and not gamily interesting in any way just trudgy
    Crikey. I’ve heard nothing but joyful praise for it so far.

I made a mental note a while ago about what the worst game of 2019, but now I can’t remember. I’ll need to go digging.

I’m probably going to have to revise my main lists anyway, to accommodate Outer Wilds.
  • I think disappointment has to go to blasphemous.

I think it's this year, and it's been patchy so far.

No other qualifiers.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Disappointment of the year goes to me for being too thick for Baba is you and not having the necessary attention span for Outer Wilds
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Andy wrote:
    1) luigis mansion - utterly pointless, wacky controls and not gamily interesting in any way just trudgy
    Crikey. I’ve heard nothing but joyful praise for it so far.

I.

I think If it had been actually funny or cute or challenging in a fun way I’d have given it more credit but It did all of those things with the smelly qualifier “for a game”.

• Disappointment of the year for me was not playing hollow knight til now.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Disappointment for me is Outer Wilds. Just never clicked. And I'm disappointed more with myself.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Disappointment for me is Outer Wilds. Just never clicked. And I'm disappointed more with myself.

Tried again yesterday after listening to the crate and crowbar game of the year podcast.  Finally got somewhere but I just don't feel intrigued to understand what happened which is in complete contrast to how I felt with Disco Elysium

• GotD still open?
    For me it's either Dark Souls (yeah, yeah) or Witcher 3.
    Both milestones in their own peculiar ways.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • So just a reminder to everyone: 

Voting closes at the end of the month.
    Votes will only be counted if they're in numbered list form.
    See OP for format.
  • Anyway, this is me:

Game of the Year
    1. Astral Chain 
    "Platinum at its best. Finding a new twist on those peerless combat mechanics and building a comprehensive future cop simulator around them. The genius is in how it ties the chain and the legions into everything you do, from rescuing cats to battling enormous trans-dimensional beasts."
    2. Resident Evil 2
    "The new benchmark for remake games. It's so clear that the developers have looked at the original in great detail, pulled it apart and understood exactly what to keep, what to improve and what to ditch to make a top-tier modern action game that still respects its source." 
    3. Baba Is You
    "Less a puzzle game and more a system for creating puzzles, Baba is as endlessly flexible as the language it uses. It's tough because the basic block pushing formula actually asks you to think in very different ways depending on the words involved, without any guidance. Stick with it for some incredibly rewarding solutions." 
    4. Arise: A Simple Story
    "It is a simple story, told expertly through visuals, sound, environment design and player interaction. A great example of how games can convey emotional themes differently to other media."
    5. Control

6. Slay the Spire
    "The best use of the Roguelike formula I've seen in the last few years. An incredibly nuanced and well balanced rule set makes each battle a series of interesting decisions." 

Best sound Design
    1. Sayonara Wild Hearts
    2. Ape Out 
    3. Arise: A Simple Story

Best visual Design
    1. Arise: A Simple Story
    2. A Plague Tale
    3. Concrete Genie

Best writing/story
    1. Control
    2. Heaven's Vault
    3. Arise: A Simple Story

Best character
    1. Goose (Untitled Goose Game)
    2. Piku (Pikuniku)
    3. Melie (A Plague Tale)

Best ongoing game released before 2019 (anything that received further support, a major expansion/update etc. this year)

Best game you played this year that didn't come out this year
    1. Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Worst/most disappointing game
    1. Left Alive
    2. Vane
    3. The Church in the Darkness

Game of the Decade
    1. Dark Souls (360)
    2. Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Sw)
    3. Bayonetta (360)
    4. Metal Gear Solid V (PS4)
    5. Invisible Inc. (PS4)
    6. The Last Guardian (PS4)
    7. The Witness (PS4)
    8. Dragon Quest IX (DS)
    9. Celeste (PS4)
    10. XCom 2 (PS4)
  • Nice top 10 bar number 6 (obvs)

• I agree it should be higher.
  • It is. Jon just made a mistake and probably won’t correct it though.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • monkey wrote:
    I agree it should be higher.
    In this day and age, the camera “work” alone should grant it a top 3

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!