Are 50 pound notes genuinely rare in the UK?
  • Could there be a system where each server has their own little contactless thing so you could tip direct?
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • I’m pretty sure I’ve only ever seen £50 notes at work. Even then, I could count them on my fingers, possibly on one hand.

The shops not taking them is not so much the prevalence of fakes, as far as I know, but because they are so rare, fakes are less obvious to cashiers.

I don’t think it’s that amazing that they are so rare. There is very little need for them.
  • I'm sure it is completely possible to track tips to server's login numbers/wavey key jobbies.
    I just dont trust owners to implement it properly, would rather give them some cash.
  • Anyone else see an app opportunity? Like PayPal, but anonymised, for tips.
  • Andy wrote:
    Anyone else see an app opportunity? Like PayPal, but anonymised, for tips.

WE'RE RICH!
  • LivDiv wrote:
    I'm sure it is completely possible to track tips to server's login numbers/wavey key jobbies.
    I just dont trust owners to implement it properly, would rather give them some cash.

I believe some restaurants have policy where all tips are pooled and shared out anyway

• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I heard somewhere in the world that there’s a system for beggars using QR codes which puts money into some sort of account for them, so the tech clearly exists.
  • Just give your bar staff the change from your round it it's under £3. Don't the the guy who pays for a £100 round with notes then gets £2 and keeps it.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I can’t recall the last time I paid for a round in cash.
  • Don't think I've ever had a 50 pound but I've seen a fair few from when I worked in retail.

You get them all the time in Ireland and its kind of an inconvenience. Two twenties and a ten is just easier to deal with and I don't need to feel bad handing it over.

I always assumed it was because pounds were worth a bit more and things tended to be much cheaper in the UK.

• A lot of wallets don't fit a 50 do they?
    A 20 pretty much just fits in my wallet, almost like it was designed for it.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I can’t recall the last time I paid for a round in cash.

Typical yuppie
  • Tbf cash is pointless in London when a totally unassuming pub is charging over £5 a pint. You get through it too quickly.
  • I used to get fifties when I worked in the pub. A lot of tradesmen get paid in fifties, labourers etc.

High percentage of fakes and the fact most small shops won’t take them mean they’re a pain to get.

It’s like getting a Scottish note. It’s legal tender but a ball ache to get accepted unless it’s a chain shop.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Tbf cash is pointless in London when a totally unassuming pub is charging over £5 a pint. You get through it too quickly.

True, typical Londoner.
  • Also my friend has a greyhound and goes to the dogs a lot to gamble. He often has some
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • In Scotland you can get 100 pound notes. Try spending one of those in London.
  • The new £20 note is out next year.
    So in a few years they are likely going to have to make a call on updating the £50 or dropping it I would have thought.
    I can see it getting dropped now most people use cash for smaller values.
    It benefits HRMC to make large cash exchanges less convenient.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I didn't think tipping was a thing in bars in Britain. It certainly isn't in Ireland. Or wasn't at any rate. Maybe things have changed.
  • Yeah, I never see fifties. It’s because ATMs don’t give them out. Only people who actually take cash out of the bank in person hold fifties nowadays.
  • On the other end of the scale I see way more fivers than in the past.
    I remember starting uni and being amazed that the campus cash machine dished them out.

Since the updated note I see them all the time and regularly get them at cash points.

The old ones were seriously fucked up as well, I remember most were barely holding together, unlike the £10 notes which were normally pretty good even before the update.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I very rarely tip bar staff, even though all the change is a ball ache to carry around. Taxi drivers, waiting staff, the delivery driver from my weekly take away all get a tip. I've started using my card in pubs now so I don't suppose I'll start.

Five pound a pint is regular up here these days, although you can still get a pint of Guinness for £2.50 in the Bigg Market.
  • When I meet up with mates who still live in London I get all the standard news like how family, friends and friends of friends are doing but I will always be guaranteed to get a "Guess how much a pint is now in ..." or "...paid £6.50 for a pint the other day" story.
  • I don’t often tip in bars any more. Partly it’s the prices. But mostly (at the risk of sounding like a boomer and inflaming Tempy) I can’t remember the last time I was served by a bartender who seemed to want tips.
  • We all want tips cos we get paid minimum wage and deal with assholes all day!
  • … you can still get a pint of Guinness for £2.50 in the Bigg Market.

Yes, but then you’re in the Bigg Market.

I was married to a barmaid. And my Mum was a barmaid. I always tip.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Sneer all you want, it's a nice pint in a small friendly pub and they have the football on. Winner.
  • poprock wrote:
    I was married to a barmaid. And my Mum was a barmaid. I always tip.

My mum was a barmaid, too, throughout my entire childhood. And my dad was a barman for most of my teenage years.
  • Yeah I never tip. I fight for your right to a living wage instead.
    Spoiler:
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • It's going very well.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!