Are 50 pound notes genuinely rare in the UK?
  • g.man wrote:
    How appropriate. You fight like a Kow.
  • Kow wrote:
    But tipping isn't really a custom, so it's not strange not to get them. I mean it's not people being mean, they just wouldn't think to do it any more than they'd think to bow or curtsy as a sign of respect. I suppose anyway, can't speak for England, obviously.

It might just be an age thing, it's certainly commonplace these days. I can't think of any non-fastfood food/drink establishment I've been in since coming to Glasgow that hasn't had an obvious tipping jar, or had the bill given to you on a plate/container for tips.

Common parlance at the bar is when being given money, people will say "get yourself one" which seems to be an unwritten "take a pound" as 1) we can't drink on the job 2) a pound would only third of a pint if that pint was Carling.

Someone mentioned earlier in the thread the idea of not carrying cash, but the bar my partner works in only takes cash, by dint of that she does better on tips than me, they usually do double per hour what we do in my work (both places pool all tips and split them between staff)
  • hark at Tempy, hanging around fancy pubs with plates for the money. ;)

Pretty sure if the change was returned on a little plate in our local pubs it would more likely be returned with force than cash on it.
    but why make a distinction with fast food/drink places? seems to me that staff at mcdonalds or costa or whatever are prob as lowly paid and put upon by customers, why not tip them? "get yourself a cheeseburger too mate"
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • The distinction has been made for me by those places, not by me, unfortunately. They never have tip jars, probably policy. Worth noting that most fastfood places are trying to get you to do as little customer interaction as possible, it's quite gross. If I am ever at a loss for a quick bite between shifts, going into McDs is always an absolute last resort. I feel very hemmed in by the entire way the world works and seems to want me to take advantage of someone or something just to part money for food/goods. I am trying to cut out Amazon too, but the amount of work that can go into sourcing stuff from Not Amazon is a nightmare, one person can only do so much I guess.

Also you only get the plates etc at pubs that do table service, my pub you pay for food at the till etc.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Tempy's attitude is making me rethink tipping in general.

Not sure I'll bother anymore.
  • I don't have any white shoes anyway!
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I hope you don't end up eating any yellow snow this winter.
  • Listen, I don't have a lot but I am not to the point of eating snow YET
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Can't say I've ever known anyone to tip bar staff in my life. Waiters sure, they do actual hard work. Bar staff just bum about pouring pints and drinking free coke.
  • Tempy's attitude is making me rethink tipping in general.

Not sure I'll bother anymore.

Thumbs up for some good collective “punishment”. You’ll have more change, begrudgingly, in your pocket.

We gotta hero over here chaps! Fighting for manners and tone!
  • You will take your tips when I decide and you will be grateful, Tempy.
  • Tempy wrote:
    I am swinging between being entirely jovial about this and being utterly deadly serious because I am mentally wounded from still being on minimum wage jobs at 32.

I felt that hard.
  • Andy wrote:
    Tempy, I didn’t really want to do this, but need I remind you that you’ve been on the receiving end of the generosity of various members of this forum, so attacking us for how we choose to distribute disposable income is not a good look?

Bud, you know I love you, but please don’t do that. Generosity here should never have strings attached, ever. For any reason in any discussion. I don’t want anyone in trouble here or struggling in any way not coming forward because they’re embarrassed it’d get raised later. I mean that in the nicest way, truly.

Recently I turned down a very generous offer from someone here for help for that reason. But, truth be told, at the time I really needed it. Things are kinda better now, but I had no way of knowing that then...I just hated the idea of owing anyone and having it ever held against me.
  • I'd second that.

I don't think there is anything wrong with anything Tempy has said either.
  • I always tip waiting staff but don't always to bar staff, and I've worked both. Bar staff work hard but waiting can be exhausting and the arguments tend to be much worse, and the job is generally a lot, lot more stressful. I don't tip much in bars only because I tend to forget, never having got tips when I did it, although when I remember I generally keep tipping every round.

I'm not saying working behind a bar isn't awfulI but I never forget the sheer horror of waiting and always leave a good one, even if the service is awful. Service is generally bad because the managers are under pressure to cut staff hours, not because the waiter is lazy. You just couldn't be a lazy waiter anymore than you could be a lazy astronaut.

I shall endeavour to remember to tip bar staff more often.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Generosity here should never have strings attached, ever. For any reason in any discussion.

I don’t begrudge anyone here anything, and nor do I feel there should be strings attached. But, equally, nor do I feel I should be made to feel like a cunt because I don’t hand my money away in a different circumstance. I genuinely feel for anyone struggling on minimum wage, but I really, really don’t appreciate any resentment sent my way because I’m deemed to not be satisfactorily rectifying the situation myself.
  • And that’s fine. I understand the tipping issue - I’m with tempy on the issues but I don’t begrudge people for seeing it differently. We can debate it, that’s cool, and if you see it my way then that’s great, but if you don’t I’ll respect that and not try to make you feel like a cunt.

But, I’d argue generosity and help between forumites should always be off the table.
  • Today my boss got a very complimentary email from a family I dealt with in A&E. And it's now a Thing that'll be brought up in Huddles. So there's my tip I suppose.

But also
    446.jpg
  • Where if not here can make I seething posts about the middle aged people who make every friday and saturday of my life hell? I’m sorry it made you feel bad Andy but any vitriol was over the top for the sake of having fun. Do what you want with yer cash, it’s not actually going to make me put people on a list, i’m not that kind of person.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    15-20% tips here, almost everywhere. Even places where you take out or food trucks these days have "15% - 18% - 20%" buttons on their iPad that they'll rotate around once they've swiped your card.

Hairdresser got a screen like that as well.

I think you're also supposed to tip the Latino man at the car wash but I find that very confusing. Since the one giving back the key isn't always the same guy as the one cleaning. Last time they took all the quarters from the car anyway and left the smaller coins. Which was annoying as I use those for the laundromat. You don't need to tip there, just 17 coins into the big machine.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I am a bad person wrt to tipping I suspect.  Hairdressers: yes.  Taxis: no.  Food places where I can do it on the card: yes.  Food places which don't do it on the card: iff I have change.  Tip jars by cafe checkouts: fairly rarely :-(.  Pubs and bars: lol no this is London, that's not how we roll.
  • Tipping bar staff is rare in the UK, really. But we do it sometimes. I do it when I’m feeling flush, or when I’m buying a big round. It’s not a case of dropping an extra quid every time you just buy a pint.

Other service industries though? I tip in restaurants, taxis and hairdressers. Never in fast food places. I don’t usually tip in hotels, but I’d leave a tip behind for the cleaners if I’ve stayed somewhere for a longer period.

When I stop to think about it, I’m at a loss as to how hairdressers got themselves included in that list. But they definitely are.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Tbf I haven't got a taxi for like a decade
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I‘ll always tip an Uber driver. I feel bad enough that my occasional Uber usage is supporting the gig economy as it is.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I have only ubered once, when somebody else insisted.

Yoss confirmed Tory, meanwhile
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I just took a taxi. I didn't tip him. I don't really understand why I should.
  • I didn't take Tempu to be criticising me. Oh Andy.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • To be honest, I don’t know why we do either. It’s just expected. I understand tipping waiting staff etc – very low wages etc.
  • I tip hairdresser, restaurant and taxis but not ubers.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!