ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    but that acapella, still gutted reet petite beat it to number one, fucking plasticine
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Trentham Gardens, April 16th 1999.
    The canvas awaits the two heaviest of hitters to go into battle.
    Ropes wrap around the ring encasing the weapons of choice, a pair of decks and a mixer.

A Date with Destiny awaits.

Who will be the winner.
    ding ding
    Seconds out!

Round 12

Introducing the boy from Brighton
    A Mighty Dub Kat and a House Mmmmmmartin
    Fat
    Booooy
    Sllllllllllimmmmm

And his opponent

From the streets of Boston
    The Funk Phenomena
    The Witch Doktorrrrrrrrrr
    My My My
    Its Armand
    Van
    Heldeeeeeen
    LivDiv wrote:
    Now here are the rules.
    No hitting below the belt and no House Martins crap.

I wanna see your Rockafella Skank and you Big Bad Wolf energy.
    LET'S GET BONKERS!

For page turn
  • If we were doing Beautiful South I would allow House Martins but I dont think Norman shined enough, it doesnt personify him like Fatboy or Dub Katz does.

Also doesnt fit the theme of the battle which is a House off.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    No way, completely agree, only reason I figured I'd mention that as at least y can actually hear him sing on it, unlike (possibly) anything else
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • This is gonna be tough for me.
    Armand Van Helden was my Uni.
    Despite being a bit late me and a few mates were big into Armand at the time.

FatBoy though, man.
    You've Come Along Way Baby was my first real album.
    I had my own tapes and shit before that but they were always novelty or stuff my bro or dad liked.
    My 12th birthday I got YCaLWB on CD and one of those mini Hi-Fis that were all the rage back then. Silver plastic with blue detailing of course.

That album was the soundtrack to gaming through late N64 into Gamecube and PS2.
  • Aye, Van Helden I think passed me by, but I had a lot of love for ole' Fatboy back in the day. 
    Need to have a think about this.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I definitely recommend exploring Armand.
    He was never as big here of course but he has some serious bangers.
  • 18 years old.
    Coated in Boss in Motion.
    A couple of shots of tequila down and a power shandy in hand.
    Young Livdiv makes his way to the dance floor in the Ice Room of Oceana Milton Keynes.

• cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Only a mix and not really in for consideration, but I kinda left dance music for a long time, big beat, skint, underworld were what brought me back for a few years in the nineties, but as an aperitif

• Haha.
    That's from the beach thing right.
    My housemate at Uni had it on DVD and we would whack it on for pre drinks.

(Same mate with the shit stag do for reference, hence my dismay. I mean that DVD was his bible and they are taking him to llundundon for his stag).
  • If we are going Daft Punk stylee.
  • Great Armand track.
    Even has his Myspace link at the start.
  • I mean if you think you dont know any Armand.

Man I love House, it is so fun. I need to get my Traktor up and running again super fun to mix.
  • I know the name, but couldn't place a a single AVH song.

Old Norm though, oof. This is gonna be tough.
  • I fully expect Norman to walk this but would be cool if peeps checkout Armand. I think there will be a fair bit of "oh he did that".
  • Just watching the Gangsta Trippin video.

It is early youtube before early YouTube.
  • Both a bit meh to me as not my focus at the time. Ambivalent but vote for Slim Boy Fat on back of involvement with Beats International Dub be good to me, which is one of the few songs that is miles better than the original version.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Worth noting for those desperate for Beastie Boys (who will feature at some point) Feat Fatboy

• Not to mention one of the biggest and best hits of the 90s.
  • Oh shit I forgot that was him. I dont think it would beat his own stuff, but still.
  • For balance.
    One of my favourites I have on vinyl. Must be played loud.
  • Gangsta Tripping is a banger but for me it has to be Right Here, Right Now.
  • Fatboy, obvers.

Will deffo check out Armand, though, Liv.
  • Armand Van Helden on really exists as a remix guy on my radar.  Professional Widow, Spin Spin Sugar etc - high charting singles where I can remember his name being attached.  

So it'll FBS for me.  Only had You've Come A Long Way, Baby, so I expect I'll pick something from that after listening again shortly.  Haven't heard it for ages.
  • I used to buy mixmag every month from about age 17 to mid 20s or so, Armand was always there as a hardworking and respected DJ/producer, but I never dipped other than You Don't Know Me and Professional Widow, both bangers. Will have a deep dive over the weekend.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Totally ignorant of Van Helden

Slim was part of my 90s soundtrack.....You've come a long way baby.  Have it as part of my highly selective vinyl collection.

Right Here Right Now - a wall of sound.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • When me and a mate ‘borrowed’ an empty student house in Hull for the summer, our next-door neighbour was Norman Cook. We threw parties and he brought round a wee ghettoblaster on an extension lead from his house (we didn’t have any electricity etc).

So technically I think I can say that Fatboy Slim DJed our house parties.
  • Heh. When I look, I am reminded that I owned and hammered pretty good armand's second album.

Gonna listen today.

Got me thinking of another beats/DJ group from late 90s. British. Name on tip of my tongue. 2 word name I think.

Not basement jaxx or chemical brothers.

I think they were a 1-2 album nad then gone thing.
    I'm still great and you still love it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!