The Greatest Hit. RIP
  • Ooh. Great shout. Always a bit more of a pearl jam man myself, but more than happy to dive in.

Foo could have their own, TBF.

Quite a career.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Yeah I will do Foo eventually, they have enough alone to make for a decent chat.
  • I maintain that the Foos have been all downhill since that great first album. Minority opinion, I know.
  • Assembling behind Face as a Pearl Jam man, do love me some anthemic rock.

For Nirvana it's All Apologies way out in front, with MTV Unplugged always worth a mention when discussing greatest live albums. It's so good.
  • Alice in Chains for me but all 3 are excellent.
  • Their Unplugged is quality too.
  • It's probably actually a pearl jam/soundgarden tie for me, with nirvana third, if we're talking strictly Seattle grunge.

Its just the pj v nirv angle was 90s Beatles/stones attempt.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I could talk all night about my favourite Nirvana tunes. But I'll go with On a Plain, just because it's fucking awesome.
  • A rare case Where  the most famous tune is the best 

Smells like teen spirit

Great origin story great chorus great riff
    The Forum Herald™
  • Loved Nirvana Unplugged rendition of The Man Who Sold The World.

I love so many of their tunes. Lithium, Come As You Are, Heart Shaped Box, About A Girl, All Apologies. What a band. But my vote goes to...

Smells Like Teen Spirit

Way too iconic to ignore.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I'm more of a In Bloom man myself.

Wasn't really an indie kid growing up, so first time I listened properly to Nirvana was about 8 years ago. Clearly a great band and I can see why they're so influential to generations.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Larry David is correct. It's their best track.

They have a great range of tracks though. There's a lot to pick from. Of the top of my head I'd add love buzz (although I think that's a cover) lithium, come as you are (sold a whole load of flange pedals), dumb and scentless apprentice are top favs.

Always thought they stood apart from the seattle set because of their lack of pure rock influence. Alice in chains, sound garden and pearl jam are all great (I'm a Complete mark for pearl jam) but all those bands had a much more polished sound. Nirvana always felt more raw. Great band, amazing singer. Some great tracks.And aneurysm is their best.
    SFV - reddave360
  • What a band and what a voice. Frances Farmer, Territorial Pissings (Jonathan Ross show live version is immense), Heart Shaped Box, Lithium, Negative Creep, Dumb (I thought he sang out to 'African Doll' when I was young) All Apologies plus as Elf says one of the best covers ever in the Man Who Sold the World.
    But all the right people are right with Aneurysm
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • I'd forgotten how good lithium is.

Fair chunk outside of the singles on nevermind I could take or leave.
  • Drain You for me, in terms of their own songs.

For covers, it has to be Where Did You Sleep Last Night

• Mate at work shares most of his top level adulation between Patton, Waits and Nirvana, so I thought I'd ask him for a favourite track to chuck in.  Lounge Act, apparently.
  • Don't like Nirvana, but I do like Come As You Are.

Even if it was done better by Ghost of the Robot.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    I maintain that the Foos have been all downhill since that great first album. Minority opinion, I know.

I'd not disagree, plenty of good stuff in there, but I never felt they truly deserved the praise they got. But that said more than enough bangers to justify their longevity if not their stature
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Best Nirvana is a tough one for me. My favourites aren’t their ‘best’.

I want to say Negative Creep. I sort-of want to say Territorial Pissings. Maybe even Molly’s Lips. I suppose that shows I have some internalised anger, or something.

My favourites are all LOUD. Whereas Nirvana were all about the dynamic. The tension between loud and quiet. Rage and tenderness.

They made as much of All Apologies as they did the punk fury of my above favourites, after all.

Best Nirvana has to be a song with both sides of the coin, I think.

Polly, Lithium, Heart-shaped Box, etc. But it’s going to have to be Smells Like Teen Spirit. Feels like this is a one of those contests where picking anything but is just being a poseur.

I remember the first time I heard Teen Spirit. In the car with my Dad, listening to the top 40 on Radio One. Straight in at number one, it’s Nirvana. And it sounded like nothing else I’d ever heard. I couldn’t even parse it as music. It was just sound. Big sound, small sound, subtle then screaming. I didn’t understand it. But I wanted to hear it again, immediately. I was hooked.
  • Did all of nevermind.

Its pretty good.

Their most abrasive stuff still doesn't really do it for me.

Kinda goes for any band with that sort of shtick.

Very easily seems just annoying and pointless if you don't assign it some arbitrary gravitas to it because.... Reasons.
  • Also, to sound even more like an old man, I think I like lithium because I can understand the fucking lyrics.
  • I love the abrasive stuff, and 'Milk it' is probably my favourite of their tracks. Love the riff, the bass, the chromatic wandering and the 'sharp dynamic contrast'.
  • In hindsight, while not my favourite - it's hard to think beyond Teen Spirit. It has such a place in pop culture. I think everyone knew it when it broke big and not many songs genuinely can fall into that category. I thnk I read somewhere that it wasnt even meant to be the first single, imagine not just Nirvana or the world if it hadnt been the first single. 

We might have gotten Chinese Democracy with the original line-up.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Almost thinking that. It is the Michael Jordan of their songs. Even if you have a different fave, you do know that that one was a VERY BIG DEAL INDEED.
  • I think I can say with some degree of accuracy, I'd be a very different person without it, even though it wasn't a favourtie (still a great track but never grabbed me) Without it, many of the bands I know and love from the grunge scene probably wouldnt have happened or at least been given the exposure to get to me at that point in my life.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Oh boy. Nirvana are incredible, so many amazing songs, Smells like Teen Spirit is especially incredible, one of the best songs ever especially in terms of cultural impact but my favourite is All Apologies - i just love it, it takes me somewhere else, i can close my eyes and hear it.
  • When I started dabbling with expensive headphones/DACs/amps/lossless audio etc I found the heavy hit drums into grunge plunge at the start of Teen Spirit to be immensely satisfying in terms of justifying my latest fad.
  • Nirvana are too good to really limit to one track. Most of the best ones have of course been mentioned above- About a Girl, Love Buzz, Negative Creep, Territorial Pissings, In Bloom, Been a Son, All Apologies... I can never nail down which of their albums I love the most; listening to any one of them takes me right back to being a skinny, angry teenager with ridiculous hair and a wardrobe full of too-big shirts. 

Still, I remember the first song of theirs I heard was Drain You, which my older brother had put in the middle of a mix CD for me. It blew my mind so completely that I skipped back and listened to it four times in a row at steadily increasing volumes. So yeah, the first hit is the best, I'll go with Drain You. 
  • I’ve lost my copy of Everett True’s (really bloody good) biography of Nirvana, which is doubly annoying because ET signed it for me. His scrawled comment was “Nirvana were a band from Olympia” which I think he meant as a truth that skewers the ‘grunge/Seattle’ hegemony. It wasn’t true though, really. They came from Aberdeen, WA – a dirt-track small town in the middle of nowhere – but they were forged in the spirit of Olympia and riot grrrl. “Nirvana were a band from Olympia” is a lie that feels true. Maybe even should be true.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!