The Greatest Hit. RIP
  • Would also accept Sugababes.
  • Or any girl band

The Nolan’s ?

For what’s it’s worth though Nicola Roberts solo album is a sublime work of genuine genius
    The Forum Herald™
  • Girls Aloud yas!

Everyone home alone, watching Girls Aloud videos, with a loo roll shortage!
    You anarchist.
  • Girls aloud was my suggestion and I’m as conformist as they come

Or how about 80s New Romantics?
    The Forum Herald™
  • I vote Girls Aloud too.

Or following Bob’s other suggestion, how about Duran Duran?
  • Should at some point widen it out and do one for the best Eurovision tune, in the spirit of this year's competition being cancelled and all of the songs from 2020 being scrapped. Nothing more feelgood/bonkers than that.
  • Would also accept Sugababes.

Imagine the bickering. Best lineup vs best tune. Mutya fans vs everyone else.
  • Kazuo wrote:
    Should at some point widen it out and do one for the best Eurovision tune, in the spirit of this year's competition being cancelled and all of the songs from 2020 being scrapped. Nothing more feelgood/bonkers than that.
    If someone reminds me we can do that when the comp should have been on, which is mid May normally iirc. Same day as the FA Cup final generally.
  • poprock wrote:
    Would also accept Sugababes.
    Mutya wins
  • Five

We made guys on the phones in a call centre use "What's your favourite Five song?" as small talk to avoid dead air.
  • Right calling this.
    There were some popular tracks most stemming from early days but Miami got a fair few mentions.

The winner is Summertime. How could it not be, great tune and an all timer.
  • There has been some calls for a pop group, im not sure many have the variety to dedicate a round to so lets do a versus.

The year is 1995 and Oasis are going head to head against Blur in the charts. Fast forward 12 months and the talentless hacks at Smash Hits don't have an original thought so another Brit pop battle is on the horizon. Because money says so.

In one corner we have the originators of the Girl Power movement the Spice Girls.

In the other corner the one you are allowed to like because they wear khaki trousers All Saints.

Spice Girls vs All Saints

Usual rules, pick a track for each then pick a winning group. No solo tracks or anything from "Appleton", shudder. I will allow that one hit the Spice Girls had as a four piece.
  • Its the Spice Girls, almost regardless of track.
  • Pure Shores is better than anything the Spice Girls ever did imo. 

I'm basing this on very hazy memories of the outputs of both bands though, plus I only ever really heard the singles and big hits.
  • Dante going straight in with his gut feeling. Gotta respect that.

Spice Girls were a cultural juggernaut, crushing everyone in their way. All Saints lost out by every possible metric. Or did they? Revisiting their oeuvre throws up some moments of stone-cold genius – just not very many of them.

Check out the sales figures, and Never Ever actually beat every Spice Girls song bar one. Only Wannabe outsold it. And as LarryDavid pointed out, Pure Shores is a fucking TUNE. Co-written by William Orbit, no less.

I think giving both bands a proper catch up might show this to be a closer contest than we’re expecting. We all know who’s going to win, but it could go a few rounds after all.
  • Wasnt aware Never Ever sold that well. That is quite impressive. Singles actually sold back then as well, the twilight years of the real charts.
  • Nb. I’m only talking UK sales up there, I’ve not checked international.
  • Spice Girls probably smash them internationally, they broke America.
    I'm not sure All Saints ever did, possibly Pure Shores because of The Beach.
  • Pure Shores and Never Ever are both better than anything by the Spice Girls musically.

The video for Wannabe however, is a one shot masterpiece.

Going by music alone, All Saints win.

If solo/collab stuff was allowed, Mel C's debut album was better than anything Spice Girls or All Saints put out.
  • Yeah listening to Pure Shores atm and it's so evocative of a time and place for me, great tune.

I actually liked the Spice Girls at the time 'cause I wasn't afraid to like what I like, I just didn't tell my friends :) Think I had the album copied off a similarly covert buddy.

Culturally Spice have this, musically probably All Saints - gonna enjoy doing a bit of digging.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    poprock wrote:
    Mutya wins

Dunno she let herself go
    The Forum Herald™
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    On instinct I'd have said All Saints clearly the better band. However Dante's post made me think it might be an age thing. Spice Girls were probably the first "tween" band, so I guess if you're 38 or over that might have put you off at the time, though me and my mates were still rating them on bangability when they first hit the charts. Will be interesting to go back and listen with different ears, after all, given the music I choose there's no way I can claim to be averse to "pop songs"
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Bob wrote:
    LivDiv wrote:
    poprock wrote:
    Mutya wins
    Dunno she let herself go

Wow, first instinct was just to grab a Paul Sinha photo and agree, but then I googled her to check, and yeah I feel bad about instinct now
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Never Ever gets docked a massive amount of points for basically stealing the tune to Amazing Grace.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Possibly controversial.

I prefer the All Saints version of Under the Bridge, even if it lacks the gravitas of the original's meaning when it was sung by Kiedis.
  • Oooft. I suppose someone had to die on that hill. Sorry to see you go Liv, you’ll be missed.
  • I had such a thing for Melanie Blatt back in the day. There was a TV advert with her photocopying her bum that blew my mind.
  • Pure Shores is amazing, no doubt.

Spice Girls tracks wise... Always had a soft spot for Viva Forever
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!