The Greatest Hit. RIP
  • Haha
    I've actually seen him live. He came on during an Ash set at Reading. Highlight of the set, I'm not an Ash fan.
  • The man, the legend. Like Prince reincarnated in the body of Ron Jeremy.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    The man, the legend. Like Prince reincarnated in the body of Ron Jeremy.

haha, so much this. there are (less than there used to be) few men I'd sleep with yet Prince and Har Mar are both on the list, they both have that thing of being sexy without being attractive. Which soudns horrible but can be blody brilliant, and is probably the only reason I'm not a virgim
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Like a virgim, mouched for the mery mirst mime.
  • cockbeard wrote:
    Yaass, I'd been waiting for Hr Mar Superstar

I've been posting for years.
  • Snorting with laughter here, well done boys.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    You're too tall Alex
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • The answer is push the button by sugarbabes.

Next.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • That’s not even the best Sugababes song. You’re doing this all wrong.
  • No u
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    It seems you all clearly missed the point

• poprock wrote:
    And let’s not forget Shampoo. There’d be no Spice Girls without them.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Touche, I won't bother finding similar quotes from me. But fr some reason (likley a recent sample by Girl Talk) "I know what boys like" came up first and that was really disappointing, was a submission, it sucked
  • Not sure they are the same though.
    There may not have been Spice Girls without Shampoo but Spice Girls werent working back room venues either.

I mean, was there Shampoo without Blondie?

That manufactured or semi-manufactured thing is definitive in girl/boy bands.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I think, at least for me, that the manufactured thing is less relevant in the past as it is today, purely because media like Youtube didn't exist it was impossible to hit the whole world at the same time unless you'd been championed by an R1 dj. Even the stuff the pop factory was puting out had folk who went on to make their own careers, and they all did the hard miles, even as late is Spice Girls and beyond. Yes lad culture Loaded helped them, as did greasing the palsm fo radio execs, but even with that they still had to play shitty venues
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    The Jam had (I think) six or seven consecutive number one hits, early in their career, no mater what stock aitken and waterman would try they couldn't match that
  • I mean mainly in the context of our head to head here. Really The Supremes would be a better comparison.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    I mean mainly in the context of our head to head here. Really The Supremes would be a better comparison.

Aww, now you said that got The Ronettes in my head instead, it;s true my brian is a contrary cunt
  • I went to see Ronnie Spector live a year or two ago. She did a sort of spoken history of her career, and after every 10 or 15 mins of chat her band would start up, Ronettes walked onstage, and she belted out a song. Fucking incredible stuff.
  • I think what was special about the Spice Girls was that they took the attitude of punk and riot grrrl (filtered down to a palatable level by Shampoo) and applied it to fairly bland mainstream pop music. They took ‘being bolshy’ to pre-teen girls.

We would have had All Saints, Sugababes and Girls Aloud without them. Spice Girls were something different. A tangent from everyday pop.
  • I think I go back to my first post. Any of the singles off the first 2 albums beat All Saints easily. It's to difficult to pick a best song, so as this is a head to head and I think Wannabe is winning I'll go with that, because All Saints really really shouldn't win this.

As an aside - the Spice Girls music videos are all wonderful nonsense. I think Say You'll Be There might be my favourite.

• Right then. Lets call this.

Spice Girls: Wannabe
    It just is their best song and defined them as a group. If they launched with another of their hits I don't think things would have panned out quite the same. A perfect storm.

All Saints: Pure Shores
    Definitely their best song, not much else to say.

Winner: Spice Girls
    Not my choice but it is hard to deny the huge impact they had, a true global success that, as proven by the come back tour, can still sell out stadiums.
  • Having sat through a lot of Spice Girls vids a few months ago (very brief yet bright burn obsession for daughter), it's surprising how stilted Posh Spice is in almost all of them. She gets a lot of stick for being rubbish...but she really is a rubbish stick.
  • Next round
    A man who started off in a shit boy band but became one of the best pop artists of the last couple of decades Ronan Keating Justin Timberlake.

Like many I am sure I was dismissive at first around his solo career, figured it would be more N-Sync but with less marker pen goatees.
    How wrong I was. 
    Teaming up with Timberland and The Neptunes ensured he had one of the hottest solo debut albums of all time, OF ALL TIME!

So anything Timberlake is fine, I will let you have N-Sync tracks but if you choose an N-Sync track over his solo career you need to take a long hard look at yourself.
  • My partner would say “what goes around” but she doesn’t post here and I’ll call it the unfinished redo of Cry Me a River.

Cry me a river gets my vote.
  • Although SexyBack is a cloooose second.
  • Oooh, jt deep dive tomorrow. I'm there for it.

Early top of the head vote goes to my love. Those keyboards are fucking killer.
  • I always hated that bellend tbh.

EDIT: It's more an instinctive reaction to seeing someone dressed head-to-toe in denim and immediately throwing them into the mental subsection marked 'dickheads'. Maybe he has good records, I've never really investigated.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!