The Greatest Hit. RIP
  • I was devastated when he went because when he last came to Glasgow, I had been offered a ticket at face value on the night, but I said "nahh it's Prince man, he'll be touring for forever".

It's what made Shona go out of her way to get us Petty tickets for Hyde Park. Sadly she was right.
  • I saw him on the symbol and he did a lot of jamming and new stuff and to be honest it was a bit dull
    The Forum Herald™
  • Got it down to a top 5 now.

Purple Rain
    Raspberry Buffet
    Gold
    The Holy River
    Guitar

Purple Rain is a great song, but by christ it doesn't half go on. Guitar is having a much stronger showing than expected, its so god damn catchy, and its a rare song that showcases his voice rather than blending it into the song.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Still leaning towards this. Near enough perfect pop song, yet more and funky as hell with it

"I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • A shout for the Holy River.

I'd just moved to the isle of man all on my own when Emancipation came out so I spent a lot of time holed up in my apartment listening to all three CDs. An amazing work but the Guitar solo on holy river is immense.
    The Forum Herald™
  • So something felt a little... off about The Holy River. I was enjoying it sure, but it hasn't sounded quite right. Now this is the only piece of Prince music that I actually own, so I dug out the CD

i4ETz6O.jpg

And if we look at the tracklisting

AEZKD6d.jpg

It turns out I've spent years listening to a different version of the song. I put the CD on for a spin, and was hit by the good stuff. It doesn't seem that this version is available on streaming platforms, but the music video is this version.

Also, the descripton of Emancipation on the back of this:

YW8kQis.jpg
  • Will
    Listen

Christ Spotify’s prince selection sucks
    The Forum Herald™
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Right. To the silly motherfuckers shouting Raspberry Beret, I can only fire a series of hits at them but they're all stupid.

Fuckin Cream, from the opening of the video, everyone is going to fuck. This song hasn't been mentioned once and it's an absolute crime. It's 2000x a Raspberry Beret. And the music video has never been bettered by any artist ever. 

U Got the Look!

Man, how can you ignore Prince's disregard for the proper English language - and in an absolute banger!

The Everlasting Now

Damn, this is the ultimate fuckjam. Just makes me think how we lost a massive talent. He really goes on a journey through this song. 

If you all think Raspberry Beret is better than that fucking give your head a wobble. 

Anyway, the winner is P.Control?wmode=opaque" data-youtube-id="

This is more party pop than anything in the 80s. If you can't see that I don't know what planet you are on. It's not Planet Pop. 2007 kept fucking going.

Call My Name 

Damn, this is the ultimate fuckjam. Just makes me think how we lost a massive talent. He really goes on a journey through this song. 

If you all think Raspberry Beret is better than that fucking give your head a wobble. 

Anyway, the winner is P.Control" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>?wmode=opaque" data-youtube-id="AODPEoVaBDc

Anyway, the winner is P.Control?wmode=opaque" data-youtube-id="

This is more party pop than anything in the 80s. If you can't see that I don't know what planet you are on. It's not Planet Pop. 2007 kept fucking going.

Call My Name 

Anyway, the winner is P.Control" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    The fucking state of this thread Raspberry Bereting. 

Honest to fuck, do you have no dignity. Where's Muggins?!

Dead inside 

(Sorry, I just really love Prince. I love you all)
  • Weird post reg and P.control isn’t even the best song on the album it’s on

Your right though raspberry beret isn’t all that.

And the batman sound track has not aged well
    The Forum Herald™
  • We get it Reg, you have OPINIONS on this one.

Raspberry Beret is still my favourite. I rate Cream, I rate Kiss, I rate Little Red Corvette, I rate Sign O the Times … I rate a lot of his stuff, even Sexy MF and My Name is Prince, but I rate Raspberry Beret highest. Head wobble or not.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    You are a criminal
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Fuckin disgustin crimes this round. Everyone involved should remember their posts and will be reckoned in 3039.
  • I don’t rate cream either that album has about five good tracks on it and cream ain’t one money don’t matter tonite is a banger
    The Forum Herald™
  • Most of those just sound meh to me, but P.Control, well.

i-would-say-v06www.jpg

I think we're down to Holy River, and Gold.
  • It’s still when doves cry
    The Forum Herald™
  • That made the original cut, but not the upper echilon. Although I've just found the video on YouTube, and it's 2 minutes shorter.

DO single releases cut the bloat out of all the songs? If they're all like that this could have been thrown into chaos.
  • From memory the hits 1 and 2 cds had edited tracks I always assumed it was to make them fit on the cd - could be single edits though.

Anyway fuck it it’s probably Kiss.
    The Forum Herald™
  • I'm torn between 1999 and Sign o' The Times on this one.
  • Bob wrote:
    From memory the hits 1 and 2 cds had edited tracks I always assumed it was to make them fit on the cd - could be single edits though. Anyway fuck it it’s probably Kiss.

Son of a bitch, they're all different.
  • Just a shout for those making long lists, please make your final decision easy for me to find. Lots of posts in this one.
  • Ok definitive top 3 Prince tunes to make it easy Liv just copy and paste this.

3. Thieves in the Temple
    2. Kiss (A song so good even Tom Jones couldn't fuck it up)
    1. WHEN DOVES CRY
    The Forum Herald™
  • Great shout re thieves. Low key great one.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • I should mention again basically all of symbol album. I didn't really dig prince until that one. And then I retroactively came around to all of it.

Still find a lot of his 80s output great despite production, not because of it.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Last
    Minute entry for Jack u off
    The Forum Herald™
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    No one have cream the time of day.

This will be remembered..
  • I think the thing to remember is that you wrote the word 'fuckjam' not once, not twice, not even thrice but four times.
  • Also cream sucks
    The Forum Herald™
  • It's probably because it's not very good.

Some songs are improved massively with the single version. 1999 strips all the wierd shit out and is back to the stone cold classic I thought I had imagined on listening to the album version. Purple Rain is half the length and twice as good.
  • Cream is fine but it's basically Prince being a creepy uncle at a party. Raspberry Beret is nice and not creepy because hats are never creepy.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!