The Greatest Hit. RIP
  • More solo stuff.  I'll go with this one from Only Built 4 Cuban Linx:

Huge.  

And a spot of Jarmusch:

• Guest verses?

The Cheese stands alone.

Enough vid spamming from me but that's a showstopper.
  • What a group. For their collective output I always thought it was a clear downward trend after 36 Chambers, most every track of which is a banger on some level. A bizarre but perfect blend of raging, ultra-violent posturing through to genuine, soulful introspection. It's a wild ride, but I love going back to it.

Can't really argue against Protect Ya Neck or Chessboxin' as obvious classics, and C.R.E.A.M is a very fair shout for what might be their best and most influential tune of all. 

However I've always been a big fan of 7th Chamber (once you get past the slightly inane skit at the beginning), Shame on a N***a, and Meth's grandstanding solo moment.

Need to go back on a deep dive through the solo material this afternoon, should be fun.
  • Changing my vote from Little Ghetto Boys to C.R.E.A.M because it deserves it, with Da Mystery of Chessboxin' finish third.  Debut album is still in with a shout for greatest Hip Hop record of all time and it's hugely impressive how strong so much of their solo work is.  Really enjoyed this week, legit heavyweights of the genre.
  • I'm sticking with Gravel Pit. Nothing else really grabbing me.
  • Posting it because it's nowhere near as shit as it should be.

• I nearly posted it, but Fred Durst is a cringe machine as good as Method is. SMDH at myself in the folly of my youth getting this CD and thinking I was cool.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • I’m voting for C.R.E.A.M. too, but there are just so many options.

Shoutouts for Shimmy Shimmy Ya, Protect Ya Neck, Got Your Money, Ice Cream, NYC Everything, Method Man, Gravel Pit, and especially Nowhere to Run, Nowhere to Hide. Gravediggaz haven’t been getting enough love in this thread.
  • Roujin wrote:
    I nearly posted it, but Fred Durst is a cringe machine as good as Method is. SMDH at myself in the folly of my youth getting this CD and thinking I was cool.

See also, ODB's typically bonkers collaboration with Insane Clown Posse, his contribution to which they apparently received as a rambling, incoherent rant down the phone about bitches, which they then had to cut into some semblance of a track. It's... something.

• Ahaha, I did not realise that was him. Best $30,000 ever spent.

Also, on the same album Snoop Dog does a verse, and rather than going through his label, he asked them to to meet him at a private location with $40k in a briefcase.
  • I unreservedly love ODB, the mental bastard. Particularly enjoy his work with Busta Rhymes on the remix of Woo-Hah, which is several hundred times better than the original track. Extreme crackhead energy.

His verse on Big Daddy Kane's Show & Prove, following some young guy called Jay Z, is none to shabby neither.

Having listened back to the first set of solo albums as well I've got a new appreciation for the Dirty 36 Chambers. Lacks the brain-blowing quality of Liquid Swords but is so bafflingly mental that it's just amazing fun to listen to. The guy was so completely off his nut that no other hip-hop album sounds like it. I especially like Goin' Down, which he randomly starts to sing Somewhere Over the Rainbow in the middle of. 

It also yielded Brooklyn Zoo, which is definitely my favourite of the Wu solo tracks. Think Larry mentioned it further back, but it's just such an angry, foul flow of aggression that it feels like he recorded it in a single go after coming in from a fight. 

So yeah, C.R.E.A.M I think is a good shout for the best Wu Tang track, and I'll take Brooklyn Zoo for best solo track. Special shout out for Wu affiliate Shyheim, who proved that Wu Tang truly is for the children. 

• Bonus episode: I enjoyed RZA proving what a giant nerd he is by breaking down some of the old kung fu films he sampled for the various old tracks. 

• regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I like the Wu Tang but know nothing about their output. This has been one of those occasions where the thread has been a genuine treat and I've learned about tracks I've never heard of.
  • Nutmeg is a really good opening number.
  • I do like C.R.E.A.M but it's not my favourite. I love that first album and it was Method Man and Protect Ya Neck that really stood out for me on there. From the earlier solo stuff, there are so many incredible tracks from what might be the single greatest run of hip hop albums of all time. I'd go for:
    'Bring the Pain' from Tical (Method Man)

'Duel of the Iron Mic' from Liquid Swords (Gza)

'Daytona 500' from Ironman (Ghostface Killah)

'Glaciers of Ice' from Only Built 4 Cuban Linx (Raekwon)

'Brooklyn Zoo' from Dirty 36 (ODB)

'Defective Trip (Trippin') from 6 Feet Deep (Gravediggaz)

If I thought it was really applicable I'd go for that last one, because that is one of my all time favourite albums - it's utterly superb. But it's not really a solo album and it's not really a Wu group effort.

Special mention to a Rza solo joint that it took me ages to find on CD - 'Tragedy' - which I ended up buying an extremely average compilation to get.

It seems unfair to have to choose one, but if it had to it'd be Protect Ya Neck (group) and Daytona 500 (solo).
    Gamertag: gremill
  • I certainly wouldn't object to CREAM as a winner here, it's a great track. But I suppose I'd prefer something with the full lineup if I had to pick just one track. So I'll stick with Protect Ya Neck.

Never got ODB. I thought that solo album was poor apart from Shimmy Shimmy. Best solo track would have to be something from Cuban Links.
  • Cuban Links is still a banger of an album. Stands up really well. Hard to pick a single track, though.
  • I don't actually know the answer, it's almost impossible. 

But in recent years, I've hit this pretty hard...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K5h0bVCakw

Uh Huh from this

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi1.wp.com%2Fthekoalition.com%2Fimages%2F2010%2F02%2Fwu-tang-vs-the-beatles.jpg%3Ffit%3D560%252C560%26ssl%3D1&f=1&nofb=1

Amazing album.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Likewise, I listen to that Wugazi album more than any actual Wu-Tang these days.
  • Sorry guys in dealing with some shit at the moment which I may type up later elsewhere.

If someone wants to take the lead, round this up and choose the next one I can handle the OP stuff
  • We could just leave it on hold, Liv. We’re not running to a schedule here.
  • Yeah, pople still working through tracks, so no need to wrap up just yet.
  • Yeah, I'd happily spend some mroe time with the Wu this week.
  • Ok. That's fine then.
  • poprock wrote:
    Likewise, I listen to that Wugazi album more than any actual Wu-Tang these days.

How can I get a hold of this?
  • I just nabbed it on bandcamp for $1.
  • poprock wrote:
    Special treat for everyone here. Wugazi. Wu-Tang mashed up with Fugazi. Far, far better than that sounds. It’s an incredible album. Here’s Rolling Stone mag writing about it. Here’s a link to it in my Dropbox, because you can’t download it officially any more. Enjoy.

Didn’t know it was on Bandcamp, I thought it was unavailable through official channels these days. Do that instead.
  • Cheers Pop.
  • Hi all. Gonna wrap this up tomorrow, let's say by 6pm.
    Forgot I said we would do Eurovision which would have been this weekend.
  • Also I havent been very engaged with this round. If someone wants to do a tally and write up that would be super helpful.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!