The Greatest Hit. RIP
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Yeah, modern love is better than any of the rest of this greatest hits stuff, but here we are.

And yes, I know its in his greatest hits.

That is democracy for ya.
  • I can go totalitarian and just declare it Magic Dance.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Yeah, modern love is better than any of the rest of this greatest hits stuff, but here we are.

It's absolutely not.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:

It's absolutely not.

Fuck it isn't, I listened to that obsessively 17 years ago.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Best_of_Bowie
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Strikes me as a guy who never discovered disc 2.
  • NO CONFESSIONS! NO RELIGION!
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I've done that song absolutely out my skull at Japanese karaoke more times than I would like to say.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    God and man
  • It's a fascinating round this, what with the longevity of Bowie's career. 
    I love the guy, and several of his songs would make the MY LIFE playlist, were I ever to bother, but I've never been a big fan. Indeed I'd argue that no other artist boasts a career catalogue of such highs and Lows. The man consistently topped up every one of his albums with at least some absolute musical drivel, but boy, when he was good, he was up there with the very best.
    All that being said, I'm still surprised that even taking into account the diverse spread of ages here, so many have thrown their voices behind whichever period of Bowie aligns with their individual adolescence.
    It's interesting.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Capitalising of Low i see you.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Speaking of which, we have a framed copy of that in our house cos we love it.
  • I DID THAT JUST FOR YOU.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm still demanding acknowledgement on the greatest hits
  • To be fair, wikipedia lists fifty-four separate official compilation albums. Man knew how to milk dem hits.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Couple of odds and sods. There's quite a bit of Bowie in our family, at one point my dad lived 2 doors down from him and Jagger who were staying together (no comment on Angie here).

The closest I ever got to him was the Reality tour in 2004. Because I worked the bar in the hotel next to the secc, we gave the roadies free booze. In return I got this pass

7mDY483.jpg

I got to his door but he was in and it was do not disturb, so I went to the skyy vodka bar that was backstage then enjoyed the gig front row.

We have a lot of bowie vinyl in the house, mostly from dad who is an obsessive. This is his 1981 or so copy - there's some mad bootleg and such in the house, but i like this best

k6MgzQd.jpg
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Like could we be more dull and disserving to bowie than the fucking radio 6 playlist.

Maybe I've got it wrong but I thought the point of this thread was to pick not the personal favourite of a particular act but rather the track which works best as a "if you only listen to one track to get an idea of the act"

If we are going purely on personal favs, I'd change mine to time will crawl. Not a great album track but the one time I saw Bowie Playing live he belted this out like it was an insane mother fucking rock anthem. I've searched youtube for a vid of a similar performance and cant find one so its possible I've bigged it up in my head but even when I hear the album version it gives me happy-happy joy-joy.
    SFV - reddave360
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yeah, i guess I'm getting precious. Modern Love is on his most famous best of tho.
  • It's a shame reg never got to meet Bowie, ore he'd of asked him wot his best song ever was and he'd of said "I really don't know, just pick any from my greatest hits lad"
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    He'd tell me to fuck off and get a girlfriend.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Yeah, i guess I'm getting precious. Modern Love is on his most famous best of tho. 
    Nah, you're nine years too late with yer Best of Bowie cash-in.
    This is the definitive one...
    lvO1mZ6.jpg

*winkysmiley*
  • He would say "I dont know but almost exactly 4 years after I am gone some twat on the internet will make a thread then after 23 Rounds of more important people like Take That and All Saints he will get to deciding my greatest hit".
  • Are you doing the voice? You're totally doing the voice, aren't you! :D
  • Of course Im doing the voice.
  • LADS! HE'S DOING THE VOICE! :D
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I'm with Gnozo, Modern Love is just an all timer, I cannot say no to it
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    All that being said, I'm still surprised that even taking into account the diverse spread of ages here, so many have thrown their voices behind whichever period of Bowie aligns with their individual adolescence. It's interesting.

It is, and I'd not noticed it or thought it an issue, but yeah, you're right, and I imagine that given any band the same thing will likely happen
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • cockbeard wrote:
    g.man wrote:
    All that being said, I'm still surprised that even taking into account the diverse spread of ages here, so many have thrown their voices behind whichever period of Bowie aligns with their individual adolescence. It's interesting.
    It is, and I'd not noticed it or thought it an issue, but yeah, you're right, and I imagine that given any band the same thing will likely happen
    I'm not so sure about that, but I could be completely wrong.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Strikes me as a guy who never discovered disc 2.

You're right, I just listened to the actual albums.

tenor.gif?itemid=5565292
    g.man wrote:

Except me, who's entire top 15 songs were all released before I was born.

To be fair to Modern Love it is a very good song, just nowhere near as good as the big hitters. I'm less surprised by it than Sound and Vision, a song I'd literally never heard anyone express any feelings on before this thread. It's just sort of there, I can't fathom what people see in it.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:

It's absolutely not.

Fuck it isn't, I listened to that obsessively 17 years ago.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Best_of_Bowie

Cum to think of it, I do believe that is the only Bowie album I've ever owned. I thought I'd bought one of the lame efforts from later in his career, but that was the rolling stones.
  • Yeah, that's what I've found interesting Dante, because for once, your opinions are in line with my preconceived notion.
    As for Sound and Vision? It's just one of his greatest. Trust me, yeeeeeeears from now when you think of Bowie, it's one of the select few that really endures. A timeless groove. I'm sick of Heroes. I never get sic of S+V.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!