Gods & Monsters: The Prometheus Thread (Mahooosive Spoilers!)
  • The film is shit though. Right? 

Totally in your face oooohhhhh
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    You're shit, Brainless. Or whatever.
  • You have pierced my soul, just like pat-able alien snakes.
  • Looking back I can see how poor the film actually is. Way too many current creatures that weren't needed. Tried to do the thing Aliens did and not have any real action for an hour.
    We had squids, giant humans, zombies, snakes, I almost feel the thing was created for Alien fanservice.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • Petey wrote:
    Probably the biggest thing that stuck out when I was watching it was how indifferent half of the characters seem to be when they actually see a clearly artificial construct on another planet. As if it's an every day occurrence to start wandering around alien buildings.
    It was like they knew they'd signed up for an Alien film, to the point that, when no proper monster turned up, they had to contrive stupid ways to get themselves killed just to fulfil their agreement. They also didn't bother exploring the rest of the planet. Because they knew.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Watched three weeks back, should probably watch again before posting, so I can flesh this argument out somewhat, but the goo is not confusing

I see it as the forbidden fruit of eden. From our perspective the blue dude is a god. He has no insecurity, jealousy or hatred. When he uses the goo he sacrifices himself without fear, but in love and so creates life, seeds a planet. In the humans they are scared and violent so the goo feeds on that and produces a far more malevolent creature
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Remember that time in the bible when Eve ate the apple and turned into a zombie? That was a hoot.
  • It's amazing there hasn't been a zombie / vampire / werewolf version of the Bible yet.
  • adored wrote:
    It's amazing there hasn't been a zombie / vampire / werewolf version of the Bible yet.

It's already got a zombie.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • Anyone seen the alternative ending yet?

This demo reel from the VFX people suggests more people initially made it out alive (on the buggies at 3:40)

• Could be wrong, but are they not using the buggies for reference as to where the ship is crashing? Giving the actors something to focus on?
  • Wondered that at first, think you might actually be right. I thought they were the buggies from the film but on closer look they just look like normal buggies with stunt men riding them.
  • Started watching this again and was instantly reminded of how fucking awful the main musical theme is. Just abhorrent and completely out of tone for the sci-fi setting. May as well be in a world war 2 film.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    I had high expectations and while they weren't fully met, I thought the film was pretty good. Definitely enjoyable.

Co - signed.

Started watching this again and was instantly reminded of how fucking awful the main musical theme is. Just abhorrent and completely out of tone for the sci-fi setting. May as well be in a world war 2 film.

Yes. The soundscape is rubbish.

Aside from that, was rather awed by the strength of the influence that James Cameron had had (grama flail) on Ridley Scott.

I am also currently drunk, and locked inside my abode. ARRGH!
    It's the only reason why I watched the film.

It's not shit.

Preachy though. But I respect that...
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Elmlea wrote:
    One of the central themes of the film is that human DNA = engineer DNA, that's what I meant by genetically identical. Whatever it does to an engineer it should subsequently do to a human.  Differences by sex would be explicable, likewise if they were dead. I assumed Fyfield was killed by the snake,  or by the atmosphere.

Whell...

That thing that came out of that burd' after the caesarian blatantly looked like a face hugger...
    And the thing that came out of that engineer bloke (will assume it's a bloke...), looked like an Alien (tm) fo' shizzle.

So that would outline the ecology to an extent.

Edit - I'm also guessing we're all with the idea of that android spiking that dude's drink with Alien spuff at the pool table?
  • With the idea? It's wholly explicit.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Sorry... I'm around new here...

I'm fast turning round to the idea that the film is perhaps one of the most intelligent "blockbusters" ever made....
    At the very least, it was certainly far more enjoyable than Avatar.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    That's a pretty low least. I will happily join you in your praise of Prometheus, though.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'll join you two.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    That's a pretty low least...

I was very wary of the hype on pre release, but knew I'd watch it eventually because Scott is a master of the craft, working with his favourite genre on a vanity project based on his most famous work...

When the reviews came in, I only saw the scores, and thought "fuck it"...

But then I watched it (bitter sweet circumstance. YAM STILL LOCKED IN AS I WRITE THIS. FOR THE SAKE OF FLUCK*)...

It's remarkably heavy on symbolism, and for that, it's a very adult film. So there's little wonder why it did not review as an "instant classic". As a result of the prominence (or indeed, the opposite) of the picture's semiotic quality, it's quite possibly the only modern film that I will watch again from start to finish, even after viewing it so recently.

I've never been inclined to do that before... Quite frankly (perhaps a little conceitedly) because I'd never felt the need to do so.

But this film is very different.

Sure... There's some cheddar / pandering in there (did they really need to cast Charlize Theron? I'm not complaining though. She has never looked better on screen... And that's really saying something), but the core story is solid. And the cinematography is brilliant.

People saying there's not enough to the story... Fuck off.
    Good stories should float questions...

* I've just been freed! Yay!!!
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    With the idea? It's wholly explicit.

Yes. But why did the android choose him, of all people?

He seemed somewhat vital to the expedition, no? And given that we're conditioned to accept the android as an entity without will, you have to ask where the order came from.

Perhaps the 'decision' was merely a dramatic contrivance.

And another thing... The intent of the androids in both Alien, and Aliens was always made clear at some point or another in both of those films. This is not the case in Prometheus... You have the android talking about how he's deliberately programmed to not act like a human, but he appears to be the most human of all the androids in the Alien movie series (if we're counting Prometheus as a part of that series)...

That said, I'd noticed that Kow had already touched upon the subject of David's (that's his name, right?) sentience, earlier in this thread.

I am going to watch the film again, and hopefully, I'll be in the position to write about the story in a more sensible fashion.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    He does ask him at one point how far he would be prepared to go for his research. My opinion was on this page. Fucked if I'm typing it again.
  • Don't go slating Theron, she's by far the best actor in the entire film.

Eat it, Fassbender fannies.
  • Kow wrote:
    He does ask him at one point how far he would be prepared to go for his research. My opinion was on this page. Fucked if I'm typing it again.

Yes this is why he chooses him. Dramatic irony too, and because he is utterly unlikeable.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    You see, my current theory is that the entire film is a meditation on faith and aspiration, and the fate of each of the crew members reflects their existential perception of those two ideas.

Like, the old man for example... He, quite surprisingly, found exactly what he was looking for.
  • Started watching this again and was instantly reminded of how fucking awful the main musical theme is. Just abhorrent and completely out of tone for the sci-fi setting. May as well be in a world war 2 film.

+1. There are many things wrong with this movie but the soundtrack could just be the worst.
    That was awkward and unsettling, never post anything like it again.
  • I enjoyed the film overall tho. Just so you all know.
    That was awkward and unsettling, never post anything like it again.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Quick point about the medical machine for men only. The machine was in Chalize's emergency escape module... It obviously wasn't her escape module though... She was keeping it warm for the old man. Other exhibitions of literary stupidity are far harder to explain away, but that one would make some sense.

But, let's take the biologist and his snake charming session... "Duh, thats stupid, no one would do that!" etc.

How about Steve Irwin, eh? That mofo got by...

Perhaps that was the very attitude which put him on that ship in the first place.

I mean, it's already established very early on that he's inquisitive, unassuming, and rather obsequious (I thought the writers did very well to characterise the crew so economically). Isn't that the kind of dude you'd want to have around in a "first contact" situation?

I'm not going to fight for the scriptwriters until the bitter end here, but I think they deserve some credit...

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2012/06/prometheus-science-faith-creationism/

That's the best public discussion of the subject I've read in ages, I'm still going through it, and there are some brilliant opinions there (though it's not a subject I have a deep interest in).

To my mind, that's no accident.

It's also much more interesting than talking about why they landed on LB 6969 (or what have you), rather than LV 1234...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!