REAL hobbies, not virtual ones........
  • Yeah it actually comes completely ready built with a battery and charger and everything you need. Plug and go. But, I want superbum speed, and that means mods. I've spent the last hour trying to soldering an adapter wire together and have melted everything apart from the solder. FFS.
    "Our music's strong enough to stop a bomb...putting pressure on you kids like I'm a soccer mom"
  • Why is soldering so FUCKING DIFFICULT!?!
    "Our music's strong enough to stop a bomb...putting pressure on you kids like I'm a soccer mom"
  • Yes but why don't they just make them superbum speed in the goddamn first place, huh?  HUH??
  • Cause Only someone as awesum as me could take the speed.
  • I've now burned my thumb, I'm seriously fucking pissed off. 2 solders done, two to go. Over an hour for TWO WIRES. I HAVE WORK TO DO FFS.
  • DONE
    photoon20120628at16512.jpg
  • Yay, you fixed your wonky eye at the same time.
  • It's a good deal more sensible a hobby than modding real cars to go superbum fast etc.
  • Good point.  It's also a good deal more sensible than setting fire to yourself and then attacking a crocodile. 

DOUBLE GOOD POINT VICTORY DANCE.
  • I don't tend to witness crocodile flame wars very often in my neighbourhood.
  • Sucks to be you.
  • True, but that's a whole different issue.
  • Aw.

I've put your avatar through the destretcher and sharpener to help make up for the lack of flamey crocodile fun in your life:

curiousyellow.png
  • UPDATE-O-FUCK:

So, I finally soldered that fucking connector together and plugged it all in and switched it on. No power. I nudged the connector and bzzzt! It sprang to life. I nudged it again and it went dead. So the connector was useless. I cut it in half and fitted a Deans plug on the end instead, which is far more reliable and heavy-duty. But that meant I also had to fit a Deans to the speed controller. Now, my soldering skills are shite, but I'm blaming my tools, here. My soldering iron literally doesn't work, so it took another 45 mins of stabbing, pushing, rolling and burning myself again before I had it all done including heat shrink tubes to protect the joins. Plugged it in and tried to put the shell on but BY FUCK IT DID NOT FIT. This is because my fancy new connector is so chunky, there isn't room for it under the shell. So, I cut the windscreen out of the shell and two vent holes in the sides. No I put the shell on and run the connector out the holes on top of the shell. Looks messy, but works. I took it for a test drive and HOLY FUCKING HAMBEAST it is fast, verging on uncontrollable and it's gotta be topping out at 45mph, maybe more. But then DISASTER STRUCK. it starting making a slight grinding noise (which I ignored) and then suddenly it went GRRRNNNGH GRRRNNNGGGHHHHH PUT. I had completely shredded the spur gear from all the superbum POWA. Well, actually the only reason it shredded was because ONE LITTLE FUCING SCREW had come out of the top chassis brace which meant the spur gear could shift about 1mm in it's little seat and GGGRRRRNNNGHGHGHG it was shredded. So back inside looking like a right sour-faced cunt much to my girlfriend's despair and back to the work bench. Spur gear now replaced (swapped for a much larger one to gear the little shit down a bit and make it easier to handle) and she's ready to rock and roll again.

Oh, and I'm buying a new soldering iron tmrw. I WILL SPARE NO EXPENSE TO MAKE THIS HOBBY WORK.
  • That's amazing! Thanks krs x
  • T-Wurts is your soldering iron tip dirty and are you using flux?
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Yeah the whole thing is filthy, I've been melting solder on the side of it, all over, anywhere that's hot enough, the tip won't melt anything.

What's flux?
  • AHA!

• Bad luck turtle, how many spares do you have for a spur gear to be just lying around?
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I'm pretty good at soldering. Shame it's from doing the same repair on a common fault on a power supply for around 12 years.
  • n0face wrote:
    Bad luck turtle, how many spares do you have for a spur gear to be just lying around?

Ah, bag of 3 is only £3.50, I thought it'd be good to keep some in.

3s is absolutely fucking mental, I'm not sure I can recommend it yet. You'll be guaranteed more breakages than with 2s which is already hella fast. There's gonna be a lot more wear on 3s too, in terms on pinions wearing out and screws coming loose and dropping off. It's seriously like putting a nuclear reactor in it.
  • Unlikely wrote:
    SERIOUSLY WHY CAN'T YOU JUST BUY THE DAMN THING READY BUILT FFS TURTLE

i'm a bit with you on this.. if i get something, i just want something good enough not to mod it. I know these cars aren't quite like a new gaming pc but still.. just want something shit hot out the box which will make me go oooOOOOohh

He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Isn't the modding half the fun though?
  • yes.. and no...
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • The mini 8light is great out of the box and did make me go ooohh. Modding it is part of the fun.
  • It doesn't sound like it.
  • It's 50% pleasure, 50% pain. I think if I just spend another £50 on it,  it'll be ready for a lifetime of 3s madness.

You should lower your S2000 and put racing stripes on. Do not use a soldering iron to do this.
  • If I get back into this I'm getting a kit. None of this ready-to-run pussy pants.
  • Almost everything is RTR these days, apart from Tamiya, it's weird. I think kits put people off. I would prefer a kit, it's a good way to learn your car and really satisfying to build it yourself. I've just taken my mini 8 to pieces, so its guts are scattered all over my workbench. God I love tinkering!

The kits that are available these days are proper race machines, because racers wanna choose all their electronics separately and already have controllers and batteries/chargers, etc. They are called race rollers and cost an absolute bomb. Problem is, if you just want a car that's decent, but dont want a full-spec race machine, you have no other option option than RTR. So, each new car you buy, you get another controller, another shitty trickle charger, another battery that you wont ever use and on and on. You can't just get a car with motor, esc & servo.
  • Monster Trucks + 6s

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!