REAL hobbies, not virtual ones........
  • mk64 wrote:
    I need something which will handle lawn grass ideally.

RC cars don't really like grass and can overheat quickly in it, due to all the resistance it creates. If you have to run on grass, keep it really short and buy a Truggy, or monster truck as they have the ground clearance you'll need for smooth running. There's so many cars out there, google is your friend!
    "Our music's strong enough to stop a bomb...putting pressure on you kids like I'm a soccer mom"
  • Oh and no face, have you set up your esc like the manual says? Making sure you're hitting max throttle and brake when you floor it is a good idea. The red light comes on if you're maxed out in either direction.
    "Our music's strong enough to stop a bomb...putting pressure on you kids like I'm a soccer mom"
  • turts, can you recommend me the best truggy or monster truck 150 notes can buy?
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • mk64 wrote:
    turts, can you recommend me the best truggy or monster truck 150 notes can buy?

I'd avoid Tamiya stuff these days, they have tons of "personality" but things have changed a lot in 20 years and their kits are a lot of re releases from the mid to late 80's so are terribly designed compared to modern stuff.

You really can't go wrong with a Traxxass Rustler. They are incredibly popular, fast, good handling and it's easy to get parts from what I hear. I'd do a l ot of research yourself, cause I dont wanna be responsible! I love my Losi mini 8 but it's too small, low and fast for a garden. You can always go the ebay route too and save £££ on something perfectly decent. 

This Rustler has a slower "brushed" as opposed to "brushless" motor but would still be tons of fun. The charger it comes with is slow however and may take 6-7 hours a time.

I'm only just getting back into all this after 15 years so can't be too specific about what would suit you.

I'm looking at one of these for my next purchase methinks, after a rather nice windfall from work. The shell is ugly, but the truck is sick sick sick!
  • cheers, turts, i'll look at the links tomorrow at work and get back to you if i get some questions. Appreciate you've been out of the game but friendly advice is better than expert but sales advice imo.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • No worries. I may get a Rustler VXL myself instead of the Losi, we'll see. It does 70mph ffs, ahaha.
  • I put a lipo on to charge then got called out because my kid is sick. I'm now shitting myself that the house has burnt down.

Hopefully I'll be able to try your tips out when I get home turts.
  • ahaha, yeah, I bought a lipo bag cause I too have "the fear" Best to be home when you're charging, just in case.
  • House did not burn down, result.

I slackened a flat of each wheel, also took a turn of the servo saver and the horn screw and wound the steering linkage in a couple of turns to square up the wheels. I've just run a battery doing speed runs on a gravel field and the steering does seem a lot better.

Just gave it a look over when I got home and the new ball cups I put on are slipping. I'm not quite sure what the deal is with them, the plastic part is not threaded so I assumed the metal part would cut the thread in put this doesn't seem to have worked. I might order some metal ones.
  • the plastic cup is slipping on the rod? That's weird. Should be a tight fit. I slammed sideways into a curb at full pelt and one rod (turnbuckle) got pushed completely into the plastic ball cup. Just tok 5 turns to get it back to normal though. I wondered why the camber was leaning in so much on one wheel only...

My 3s lipos should arrive soon, I'm soldering a short adapter wire instead of cutting off the plug directly from the battery cause im too afraid of shorting them again. I've got adapters all over the place now. 5 different plug ends for batteries? Retarded.
  • Speed controllers are unmoving little boxes with fans on, servos aren't just the one bog standard servo, motors have heat sinks, things explode, ball cups slip, n0face's wheels need to be squared, crashes damage things. It's all rather intimidating now. Little wonder Tamiya are still doing good business with 70s/80s designs.
  • I have a manta ray.
  • I had manta ray.

Tamiya cars have all the same problems as Losi or Traxxass ones, more actually, because they are badly designed and made of weak, cheap plastic. You also have to buy a whole sheet of parts just to replace one snapped suspension arm, as opposed to losi where you can buy parts in very small quantities for about £3.50 a pop. Repairing Tamiya's was always a regular and expensive business, you'd always end up with tons of spares you'd never use cause you had to buy 15 bits when you only wanted 1.
  • I had a Tamiya Madcap when I was wee.  Gave it an awesome purple and white paint job, best looking RC car out of anyone I knew.  We formed a club at school, and on day one the rear offside wheel dropped off of a kerb and the entire chassis snapped.  I was sad.
  • the plastic cup is slipping on the rod? That's weird. Should be a tight fit. I slammed sideways into a curb at full pelt and one rod (turnbuckle) got pushed completely into the plastic ball cup. Just tok 5 turns to get it back to normal though. I wondered why the camber was leaning in so much on one wheel only...

My 3s lipos should arrive soon, I'm soldering a short adapter wire instead of cutting off the plug directly from the battery cause im too afraid of shorting them again. I've got adapters all over the place now. 5 different plug ends for batteries? Retarded.
    I shouted my first 2s, the next one I only cut one wire the soldered and heat wrapped before doing the next. Just had a play around with the ball cups and some seem to fit better the others(12 in a pack) so hopefully that's everything up and running. Trip to the skate ramps in the next couple of days and see if it snaps in two straight away.
  • I only ever needed to get new tyres so there.
  • I borrowed my mates Madcap for 5 mins and drove it full-speed into a curb and mashed it right up, then went back to pwning fools with my Manta Ray.
  • n0face wrote:
    the plastic cup is slipping on the rod? That's weird. Should be a tight fit. I slammed sideways into a curb at full pelt and one rod (turnbuckle) got pushed completely into the plastic ball cup. Just tok 5 turns to get it back to normal though. I wondered why the camber was leaning in so much on one wheel only... My 3s lipos should arrive soon, I'm soldering a short adapter wire instead of cutting off the plug directly from the battery cause im too afraid of shorting them again. I've got adapters all over the place now. 5 different plug ends for batteries? Retarded.
    I shouted my first 2s, the next one I only cut one wire the soldered and heat wrapped before doing the next. Just had a play around with the ball cups and some seem to fit better the others(12 in a pack) so hopefully that's everything up and running. Trip to the skate ramps in the next couple of days and see if it snaps in two straight away.

Yup, if those wires touch for a second, you've had it. Dead lipo.

I'd say the Mini 8 is incredibly tough considering the abuse I've already given it compared to all the other cars I had as a lad. The metal chassis and shock towers are a god send. Breakable plastic parts on it are dead cheap. I can't wait to hit the Big BMX track on 3s... I'll probably shatter the poor little thing.
  • What 3s lipo have you gone for turts? I don't understand a thing about how the lipos are rated and have no idea how to choose. Seeing as I blewup a 2s may as well order a new 2 and 3 at the same time.
  • I went for these, Flightmax ZIPPY 2200mah 3s 20c. They are the 3cell version of the 2cell ones I have (that are excellent) Also, they will fit the battery tray, although I have had to fashion a new battery strap (pics to follow) to keep the fucker in as they are 26mm high. I back all my batteries with a strip of adhesive velcro with the other side of the velco stuck to the chassis so the battery grips and won't shift at all. It also provides a wee bit of cushioning which is good for lipos. Don't order them till mine have arrived though, as I may have got my measurements wrong! I also bought some XT60 female plugs to fashion a new connector lead from XT60 to EC2. Phew, this gets complicated.
  • Can you not just buy one of of these damn things in proper working order?  I mean I'd be tempted if I could do that but I will not cope with all this faffing about.
  • I don't think I could stand the embarrassment of playing with an RC car. I will have to wait until Master Griff is c4 or 5 years old.
  • A working battery? It's just there's about 6 "standards" of connector for lipos. Massive ball ache. But worth it! Also, I'm putting batteries in that it wasn't designed to take, so you have to make small mods to do that. The Mini8 is pure, undiluted fun. Making things go fast and skid and jump and and and is great. Never gets old, no matter how old I am, it seems. Anything doing a cartwheel at 40mph on concrete is gonna break though, that part sucks.

EDIT: @ Unlicky
  • Lord_Griff wrote:
    I don't think I could stand the embarrassment of playing with an RC car. I will have to wait until Master Griff is c4 or 5 years old.

It's the only downside, I run from my front door to a quiet cul de sac across the road with no direct line of sight from any house to where I stand when driving it, aha.
  • But to be honest, I'd rather be seen playing with an RC car than have friends of the family walk into my living room and see a plastic drumset and guitar piled in the corner next to my 360.
  • I will buy the 100mph one. Looks nice and fragile.
  • Right, the 3s lipo's have arrived and they're bigger than advertised so a few more mods have been required to make room. You literally couldn't squeeze a pube in there now, it's so crammed, but it should go like a bat out of hell. TIME TO CHARGE.
  • SERIOUSLY WHY CAN'T YOU JUST BUY THE DAMN THING READY BUILT FFS TURTLE
  • You can, then you get carried away and change it all.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!