Drawings wot I done
  • It hangs in the spare bedroom. Thanks mate.
    I'll sell it you.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • No thanks! But I genuinely do like it.
  • Scout wrote:
    No thanks! But I genuinely do like it.
    lol I was kidding,

most of my stuff ends up with other people. I only have this one for me. :(

Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • I've always wanted to try painting. Wouldn't really know where to start though.
  • Get good paper. You can get canvas boards for nothing. Or get thick paper .
    I use acrylics because you can water them down like watercolours or leave it thick like oils. You don't need to spend a large amount of money on brushes or equipment, most stuff is cheap to get. take reference photos for outdoors stuff. Just on my phone. Because painting outside is a pain.
    Try painting anything. And mostly , do it for fun when you can. If you are doing it for profit make sure its simple to do. I'm happy to send you a copy of the bridge painting if you like. I keep things as simple as i can. You'll see that in my stuff.
  • Thanks for the offer but don't worry about it. Due to work commitments at the moment I don't have time to try right now but definitely want to give it a go soon. I have an artist friend who in the past has already offered to give me a bunch of paints and stuff. I don't know what I would paint. I think if I tried a proper landscape it would just look utterly shit. I'll probably paint something weird like my two men sitting at the desk on the previous page.
  • So, we have a bunch of threads here where we pedal our skills; a writing one, a musician/producing one, a games one, a photography one, and one where Noxy can show of his talent of taking over Germany, one bedroom at a time, but we don't have one for drawing and painting, do we? (we might, I haven't looked)*

Anyway, I doodle all the time, because I decided I was happy enough with my particular grade of rubbishness with a pen, and I also quit art College, which I went to when I was 18. I've recently decided that I fancy giving the old drawing talent a bit of a workout, but I'm never happy with my style or quality level, so I thought I'd do a thread where we can all share, so that I can share too.

If you draw or paint, i'd love to see your stuff, as I like seeing what others get up to, it interests me.

Anywho, I sketched some faces tonight, because I am crap at faces and need practice. They are very loosely based on Jon Hamm and January Jones (primarily hair, pose and shading)

vXWFPm3.jpg

uF3ZVXc.jpg

I also did Handsome Jack, because WOO Borderlands2

BP8uGDg.jpg

And now you.

*Turns out we do!
  • I have a bunch of pics in my sketchbook like the bottom one you posted, I am also crap at faces.
    I should break out my sketchbook at some point and take some pics of my old drawings.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • I did a semi-realistic version of Peter Griffin.

jan1petergriffin.jpg
  • Aha! Very good. You're good at this. Any tips, or good resources for faces etc? So far I'm just sketching things from films and stuff

HMv5Gc0.jpg

ESw6Nml.jpg
  • I like the second one tempy..
  • I did a semi-realistic version of Peter Griffin.

Bit of a self portrait in there?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    I did a semi-realistic version of Peter Griffin drew a picture of Gabe Newell.
  • These are PDF versions of some really cool old books. The "Drawing the Head and Hands" is a classic.

http://www.placidchaos.com/AM/index.php/2006/02/21/andrew_loomis

The other thing that I have started doing is buying a packet of really cheap photcopy paper and sketching on that. A lot of people get caught up in the details and trying to make every page of their sketchbook a work of art because they paid five minutes or six quid for a good quality pad.

By using cheap paper you can do nice loose scribbles and practice those basic curves, proportions and shapes and then just chuck them in the bin after you have filled both sides. These sketches are just part of a process of learning. They have no real artistic value and are not for public consumption. No need to keep them.

Another thing to try when sketching is to hold your pencil as far from the pointy end as you can. This forces you work from the arm and wrist and not from the fingers. Detail can come later... and no erasers either.

I also find one of these handy for leaning on. It's always best to work with your paper at an angle.
    http://www.theworks.co.uk/p/clipboards/q-connect-clipboard-masonite-a3/kf01305
  • Cheers Mr. Vaduu, I will take heed and practice a lot.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I don't draw and am not trying to learn, but why no erasers?
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Voodoo makes good points.  I suggest a roll of butchers paper.  Because of the size you can free your arm up and work in a nice big arc, really get into it physically.  Drawing figures should be physical. Use charcoal and pastels.  Obviously I'm going beyond doodling here.

To add to Voodoo recs I suggest hunting down some Hogarth books.  Dynamic Hands and his general head and body ones are excellent, especially if you want to produce dynamic poses.  It's comic based (he worked the Tarzan strip) so heavy on the musculature, but the basic structure is very useful and is a useful guide on how to move beyond flat poses.

There's loads of stuff on facial proportion about and most of it useful.  I like Maughan on drawing the head, lovely tonal work.  Doesn't break it right down, more useful as a reference, but does guide you on using tone instead of line to depict volume.

Finally, if you really get into it, life drawing classes are a must.

This thread makes me sad that I haven't done anything in months, blub.

Edit: the Maughan book is probably a down the track sort of thing.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    I don't draw and am not trying to learn, but why no erasers?
    Because you're not trying to create a finished piece, you're simply learning technique, so mis-steps are important to note and learn from.  Ultimately, when accomplished, you won't need an eraser anyway, unless you're doing very precise stuff.  When I was first doing life drawing years ago, erasers were a big nono.  It also breaks the flow, stopping to rub out stuff.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • Wanna learn to draw awesome games stoof?
    Buy this it is by my Dad's cousin, he has worked with a lot of studios doing concept art

This may or may not be a cheap plug to get people to buy a family members stuff. My Dad can draw like his cousin but sadly never pursued it as a career.
    art-63.jpg
  • If you guys are serious about learning to draw humans I would highly recommend life drawing classes.

Your progress will come along a lot quicker.
  • I am the worst person at drawing here.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    If you guys are serious about learning to draw humans I would highly recommend life drawing classes. Your progress will come along a lot quicker.
    YES I SAID THAT AWREADY GEEEZ

Tonal work on helmet head is lovely, not sure about the left hand though.
  • I doubt that, I'm really pretty woeful.
  • I can't do life drawing because time, money etc. Done it before, for a year.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I am the worst person at drawing here.

I dunno, I'm pretty awful.
  • Skerret wrote:
    If you guys are serious about learning to draw humans I would highly recommend life drawing classes. Your progress will come along a lot quicker.
    YES I SAID THAT AWREADY GEEEZ Tonal work on helmet head is lovely, not sure about the left hand though.

Yeah it looks slightly off now you mention it, still, if anyone can beat it you can definitely make a decent living out of it.
  • We should have a whose worst draw off, what's the subject matter?
  • Everyone should draw their minds eye's version of Brooks.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I'll suddenly get the bug something awful, the draw like madman for a year, get a brilliant job doing concept art and you'll never hear from me again.  Maybe.  I never did enjoy art and design for pay though, unless it was for friends.

Just had a rummage in my p-bucket account and found this.  I don't recall who or what it was for tbh.

oops2.jpg
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Everyone should draw their minds eye's version of Brooks.
    oops2.jpg

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!