Streets of Rage 4 - The Grandest Upper - Out now!
  • I would never play this with randoms tbh
  • My experiences have been mixed.
    Just did Stage 12 with a random, both of us playing as Adam me as SoR4 them as SoR1. They were a joy to play with.

There is just a definite divide in the player base. The old school and the kids.
  • I'm still on level 12 with blaze, need to make that push. Will definitely start over with another character after. I've a feeling it'll be easier than with Blaze.
  • So far I have found...
    Axel: All rounder but that makes him a bit weak. He is never walking it.

Blaze: better than Axel but can suffer in the same way.

Cherry: Way to small and fast for me, she clearly has her strengths but not for me.

Floyd: Absolute beast. Carves through enemies and his throw can really dictate zoning. However there are parts of the game where you are just too slow and will take lots of hits.

Adam: Axel x Blaze. Everything wrong with Axel is fixed. He is that bit faster and has a dodge, better in the air as well imo.

The choice characters for me out of the SoR4 ones are Cherry, Floyd and Adam. Fast, tank and the best all rounder, pick your poison.
  • Also every random that plays as Axel is an utter moron. I assume because he is the only white male.
  • Just ran through with a mate on Normal. Got a bit sweaty at times and on one boss we survived with just one character left on one hit of health, but definitely doable. Some silly mistakes falling down holes and such, costing health and lives.

The third retro battle is quite hard. We failed that one.

Adam is definitely the best character of the new ones. SoR3 Axel is damn good too though. Having the run, and roll help so much.
  • Played this last night with a mate. We got pretty far but got quite bored. It's pretty basic stuff.
  • What did you expect from a side scrolling beat'em up?
  • Pretty good game so far. Unlocked Adam and have now beaten the boss in the biker area. Fuck those acid/grenade throwing enemies tho. Cheap as chips with cheese on the side.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • The only thing that gave me trouble so far is the lvl2 boss tbh, seemed a massive difficulty spike. I've failed on subsequent levels but none seemed to trouble as much as that cunt. Tbf though that was before I'd checked all the controls.

Last boss has also taken a good few tries atm, haven't gone back today but will do so in a bit, reckon I'll crack the fucker. Normal difficulty and Blaze, this is. I think I'm shit at games these days. I used to be a contender, honest.
  • This is very beautiful and I really enjoyed my playthrough but I don't understand people saying it is the best SOR. There are some mechanical improvements but at least two of the bosses are pretty shit and there are very few memorable sections in comparison to the older games. Some stages feel over before they've begun. 

Or perhaps I'm just not a teenager anymore, SOR2 still plays fantastically but how much of the buzz is heavy nostalgia and a realisation that I'm decaying rapidly? Anyways, high five to the developers they did a grand upper job.
  • @nick_md
    Nah, it's not you mate.
    The ff combo flows a lot stiffer than sor 3 making landing that in 4 a bit trickier. They've tweaked the difficulty to adjust to mp. Even with axel it isn't a walk in the park.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • I do love Blaze's combo where you just go standard combo > floor bounce > Jump kick > Special. So hot.
  • I cant time the jumps on top of the train to save my life.
    Not helped by playing as Floyd either.
  • What did you expect from a side scrolling beat'em up?

Just a little more depth I suppose. As a nostalgia trip it's great but it just isn't holding my attention for very long.
  • Just seen the credits, great game, going to go through again with axel.
  • I just got bounced between toxic jet streams on lv5 a few times without a chance to get back up. Nice. 

Trying Blaze now. Much better than Alex!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Level 7 on Hardest gave me some trouble. About 5 attempts to get through. Mainly because of the added bastardry on the boss.
    Spoiler:
    In the end, it was a case of doing well enough in the rest of the level to make sure there's enough left in the tank for the boss. A few decent combos got me an extra life as well, which took the pressure off. Good fun overall though - at least it's a short level.

I did a vid:
  • So Floyd is a bit of a winner it turns out. I was struggling on stage 9 of Hardest, but switched to the big guy and have managed to get through 9, 10 and 11 with him now. That throw move is ridiculous on any section with instant death pits. Just chuck everyone off the screen.

It's still been tough though, and stage 12 is going to take a bit of practice, but I might just get there yet.
  • Yeah the glass elevator with Floyd is good fun.
  • His blitz is great against shield guys as well. Knocks them back so they can't counter.

Even his slow walk can be mitigated by jumping everywhere.
  • You’re one patient man! I’m getting frustrated with more than a level at a time. Currently on the train. Level 6?
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    Trust Wong to find the cheap stuff.

• Oh wow some of those are just beautiful
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    PSA: A physical European release of this is being embargoed by Limited Run so there should be another chance to get hold of it.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Lvl 7 boss is hard work
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • They tend to be hard or easy. That Shiva guy was a walkover. The previous one behind a biker gang bar took me several attempts.
  • The more I play, the more I think Floyd might be the best of the SoR4 characters. Didn't realise just how good his air special was. His star move has good uses outside of bosses too.

The SoR3 characters are best though.

Run and vertical roll are too good.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!