The Racing Thread of Burnin' Rubber and Being Awesome!
  • Although I’m worried about the split/second style drifting??
    The Forum Herald™
  • Afair, it was not too shabby. Its on xbone BC so can go refresh myself if needed. Oo-er.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    That's a good shout Gav, or should I keep the memories, hmmm.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • I enjoyed Split/Second but it suffered from being released around the same time as Blur. Didn’t get played nearly as much because of that.
  • Assetto Corsa Competitizone is coming to console.
    It’s very good if you like GT3s but, considering the first AC didn’t run very well I have no idea how this will work considering the vast increase in resources required.
  • mrsmr2 wrote:
    Assetto Corsa Competitizone is coming to console. It’s very good if you like GT3s but, considering the first AC didn’t run very well I have no idea how this will work considering the vast increase in resources required.

Maybe it's PS5?

Was so hyped for the first one and the handling was terrible.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Available 23rd June.

I only tried the PS4 version of AC briefly. It's not really same as the PC version - which I thought was very good for the cars I drove.

ACC is very different.
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii
    U: Birdorf, 3DS: 4382 3173 0928

Send message
    I presume you were playing with a pad, Bob? I thought the handling was sublime with a wheel.

Bought ACC at launch, but only played it for a couple of hours. I’ll probably buy the console version.

Decent Humble Bundle on at the moment:

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/just-drive
  • ACC was terrible at launch but is massively better now.  I only recently installed it again after deleting it over a year ago as it was crap.
  • Formula Retro Racing.

New on Xbox today, I think it's on Steam as well. Thought it was worth a punt for a tenner and I'm not disappointed. Very obvious nods to Virtua Racing and Sega in general - 8 tracks, 1 car with a lot of colour choices, very arcade, very solid. 

Veers between very easy and brutally difficult depending on the course, the AI are sluggish at the long corners to let you catch up, but will le bob you if you pass too close and collisions and running off track will ruin your lap. There's a very tight drafting mechanic as well, but again, collisions are bad.

No MP, fairly basic leaderboard, no friends leaderboard so far. I crashed into the back of another car so hard that I flew backwards and got stuck on the track wall, but I'm enjoying it enough that it felt charming.
  • Missed that Ian. Quite like the look of it are you still playing it though?
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Came here to post Project Cars 3 launch trailer. Slightly Mad have been bought out by Codies so think they're trying to make it more accessible. Not sure if open world like Forza Horizon plus tracks or whether they're just street races on show. Anyway could be interesting and out this Summer apparently which isn't far off:

• Eric wrote:
    Missed that Ian. Quite like the look of it are you still playing it though?
    Yeah, I've gone back a fair bit, it's quite relaxing on the normal setting. The guy fixed the Time Extended being in the middle of the screen pretty quickly. 

Hard is actually hard though. Never mind winning, just keeping up with the timer means using the other cars to draft and gain speed, which needs finesse I don't have. I will stick to normal and work on times and the harder courses.

I was going to say that it's worth a tenner for a dabble, but it's actually my favourite arcade racer of the generation, which is just sad. Assumes FH2 is simcade of course.
  • Formula Retro Racing looks good, shame its not on the Switch or PS4 (for me).

Hopefully Project Cars 3 will be good. Seeing as Codemasters have F1/WRC experience. Slightly Mad Studios and the team behind Driveclub. You'd hope they can start to knock out some really polished racing games.
  • Well I've just jumped in. Like you said for a tenner you can't go wrong.

Hoping it fills the void until Hotshot Racing comes out which looks really cool going by the Edge preview this month.
  • Forgot about hotshot racing. I dunno you wait years for a follow up to virtua racing and two come along within months of each other
  • Ha ha absolutely. Don't know whether you saw the Virtua racing remaster that M2 did on the Switch Dino? Worth a look if you can get it cheap though.
  • OK so played Formula Retro Racing pretty hard last night on Ian's recommendation and can confirm it's brilliant. It's a blatent SEGA rip off / love letter with enough nuance (and tracks) to make you want to play again.

I opted for manual gears which if you get wrong completely ruins your lap and and bring you to a dead stop but get the flow right and your laughing. Crashes are pretty brutal too but restarts are pretty quick.

It has a pretty bare bones 8 tracks two of which I have written off as shit as they feel too technical for the car physics ( plus I'm no good at them: GP & Mountain) but the others are great. It's a shame it has no multiplayer or obvious time trialling but you can't go wrong for a tenner. Totally agree with this review:
    https://www.bonusstage.co.uk/2020/05/19/formula-retro-racing-review-2/
    Thanks Ian.

Edit: The chip tunes are quite good too!
  • Eric wrote:
    Ha ha absolutely. Don't know whether you saw the Virtua racing remaster that M2 did on the Switch Dino? Worth a look if you can get it cheap though.

Nope will have a look
  • Did anyone play The Crew 2 ? Was having a look at some vids on youtube and it looks fun. The free roam driving seems to be quite popular on YouTube.
  • I played the trial I think and wasn't impressed that much. I mean, you might get some enjoyment from it, I'm just utterly spoiled as a Forza Horizon fan.
  • https://www.gematsu.com/2020/06/new-need-for-speed-in-development-at-criterion-games-need-for-speed-heat-cross-play-update-launches-june-9

Criterion back at it for the new NFS, apparently. I will pray at my copy of Hot Pursuit this evening.

Heat coming to EA Access next week. Nice.
  • I played the trial I think and wasn't impressed that much. I mean, you might get some enjoyment from it, I'm just utterly spoiled as a Forza Horizon fan.

Yeh horizon sound great, but i dont have an xbox. The ability to go from a car to a plane to a speedboat at a press of a button sounds fun.
  • I downloaded the Crew and the Crew 2 and never played either of them, for the same reason as Gav. Forza Horizon ticks all my boxes and then some.
  • Out of curiousity, what view do you guys use in car games? Chase (behind the back of the car)? In car? Bonnet? I tend to stick to bonnet view if that isnt possible then in car. I never play with chase view ever.
  • Nose or bonnet
    The Forum Herald™
  • Bob wrote:
    Nose or bonnet

• bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    In-car sober or pissed because it kinda feels natural, chase cam when absolutely melon fuckin' bladdered.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • I did wonder who uses chase cam other than kids
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Blimey. I'd rather be lumped in with kids having fun than with weird flex try hard twats like Dino.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!