PC Monitors & TVs thread
  • Ah yeah shit I forgot about the pana one
    PSN - minkymu
  • Any recommendations on a 4k telly in preparation for the arrival of the X?
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    How much dosh?
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Christ price drops on Sevenoaks again. Serious buyers remorse!

But good time for you Tiger

I’m suggesting Sevenoaks because great customer service and currently doing a voucher with £100 off.

Both 55” sets. Both with HDMI 2.1.

Sony XH90 - full array back lit - 2 HDMI 2.1 ports. Digital Trends compared it favourably against the next set. £999 (£899 with voucher)

LG CX - OLED - 4 HDMI 2.1 ports and best picture quality you’ll get at this price range - £1,299 (£1,199 with voucher).

I now need to go and have a lie down and cry

Note - the 2.1 firmware update has been released for the Sony set. The reviews below won’t highlight that.

Edit - some reviews

https://youtu.be/rwnVacHTb8M
    https://youtu.be/eb-8uOqr4fI

Comparison between the two: https://youtu.be/jh8pJ9dTaYo
  • You can get the BX Oled for £999 from Sevenoaks if the budget is strict, not sure the CX is worth 200 extra.

I really want a 65” oled but wife disagrees.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Depends on what you are gonna plug into it. And picture quality especially HDR. For £200 I think it’s worth the trade off for something that’s gonna last years.

The BX (and the Sony) only have 2x HDMI 2.1 ports. If you have a modern sound bar one of those is gonna go in to the e-arc port which loses you one of those 2.1 ports.

If you get both consoles that means you need to swap cables. Not an issue obvs if you are sticking with the one next gen console.
  • Really want that XH90 now.
  • Many thanks!

Wife is trying to veto the idea. She doesn't get it. BAH.
  • The Daddy wrote:
    You can get the BX Oled for £999 from Sevenoaks if the budget is strict, not sure the CX is worth 200 extra. I really want a 65” oled but wife disagrees.

We’ve a couple of 65 oleds in the house, having upgraded from a 55, and I definitely think your wife should let you.  I’m thinking of going to a 77 in the living room as its a pretty big room that could totes take it.  Might stop me squinting at the screen then when I’m sat on the sofa?

65 B8 anyone?  One carful owner.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Oh btw heard the XH90 has a bug (Sony are calling it a feature) where it is lowering the quality of 120hz signals to keep the frame rate. Sounds a bit dodgy to me, so I’d look into that before buying.

Some mention of it in this comparison video: https://youtu.be/Cf1bSseyyDE

Btw this comparison includes a Samsung, but I always discount them as they don’t do Dolby Vision and all streaming services only do Dolby Vision as far as I’m aware, certainly the main one.
  • I 3d modeled the Samsung Serif today.
    Pain in the arse tbh but that is by the by, I have modeled worse but not much.
    Mainly I'm a bit disappointed that it is more complex in its form than it really needs to be.
    I initially thought it was a straight up block with legs, then noticed it chamfers down into an elongated, bevelled hexagon.

The base and top of the screen frame are tapered out.

I was expecting a slab design but up close it is really quite fussy.

Pain in the fucking arse with convex and concave curves combines with tight 90 degree angles.
    I know hate it.
  • My sister bought one of those Serifs. Haven't had a chance to see it in person yet (covid and all that) but they sure look interesting in pictures.
    I can give it a light kick for you if you'd like Liv. Might be a while until I get the chance though.
  • I love that Samsung took the decision a few years back to start making some TV ranges that consider the telly as a piece of furniture or decor rather than just a piece of tech. The Serif looks gorgeous on its tall stand, turning the top of the TV into a shelf/mantelpiece and the Frame is a winner wall mounted.

Who is it who do the mirror TVs? Those are an interesting move as well. I wonder how they handle heat, because they’d be perfect above a fireplace.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Panasonic did that transparent TV which was cool but seemed pointless.

I really like the Samsung Wall. If only I lived up in the hills above LA it could fit into my massive house.
  • b0r1s, thought you lived in edgbaston in Birmingham. Plenty of space in those big houses.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I googled it expecting it to look nice but it's a whiteboard that's a TV??
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    I googled it expecting it to look nice but it's a whiteboard that's a TV??

Completely impractical if you want anything connected to it too. I noticed that all of the images online show no cables, which presumably means it doesn't get powered on either.

As a piece of design it's cool, as a day-to-day object.... meh.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    b0r1s, thought you lived in edgbaston in Birmingham. Plenty of space in those big houses.

Ha ha not quite.

Oh the wall is completely impractical but it just looks cool as fuck. Imagine the frame idea but taken further. Massive changing art on your wall that you can flick over to YouTube or the news etc. Obviously if I could afford this I’d have a proper TV/Cinema/Games room too.

• Edgbaston eh. Posh
    PSN - minkymu
  • I’m genuinely excited about how the Frame will look when I get it properly mounted in our new house. It’s a gorgeous object, but stood on a unit it does feel a bit slab-like. Hanging it will be a game-changer, visually.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Minkymu wrote:
    Edgbaston eh. Posh

Nah mate... Balsall Common (poshish but boring. I’m gonna move back to Brum soon).

• LG have got the completely see through oleds haven’t they. It’s see through glass wall mounted in a fancy way and then all the tech gubbins are hidden away in a box that I guess must need attaching every time you want to actually watch something other than the wallpaper behind it.
  • Here's one: are those logitech harmony remotes any use? The one supplied with my Panny (2nd hand so I don't think it's original) is a unresponsive annoyingly light POS. I hate it.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Depends on how much gubbins you have. I had one a few years ago. Thought it would revolutionise my setup but reality is most stuff is controlled by my main remote and a game controller.

If you’ve got an amp, blu-ray etc then they can be worth it.
  • Hmm. Most of my "media" is actually watched thru the apps on Xbox so I'm in two minds whether to get the PDP officially licensed X remote which I don't know if it has tv control capabilities, or the Logitech one which I think has Xbox controlling capability.
  • See, I go from one crisis (soundbar?????) to another. Oh, the hype train.
  • Bought the xh90 in the end. Now I have no money for a PS5 fml.
  • Good luck finding a next gen console. I still cant get a seroes x. I might just get whichever i can get even if its a PS5
    PSN - minkymu

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!