DEMON'S SOUUULLLSSS
  • JonB wrote:
    The lack of good shortcuts is souring some of the levels, especially as the first couple did it so well. I had to look up if there was one on 4-1 and it seems like more of a glitch. So bizarre when the level completely loops round on itself and just needed an unlockable door to bring you back again.

After playing a bit more, I can see that. 1-1 gets right in this regard. Almost perfectly designed, to the point I remembered the shortcuts 10 years after playing the original. Feels like on some of the other levels, there's a big slog to the boss, then death potentially.....but I still love this game for trolling me like that.

The Estus flask system in DS1 is a clear improvement, since grinding for herbs feels unnecessary (but enjoyable enough).

I've gone for a Knight heavy shield and spear build. High endurance, highish strength. It trivialises a lot of the lesser enemies. I didn't have a clue when I played the original first time around and remember playing as a thief with a dagger, but not really understanding anything about stats or upgrades. Struggled through the whole game rolling around trying to backstab everything.
  • Started this last night (early birthday present) and it really is a stunningly beautiful game. A few weeks ago I tried the opening area and got absolutely twatted by Vanguard. I was disappointed in my performance so restarted, this time as Soldier class and managed to kill Vanguard Demon. Felt great.

Did 1-1 too and completely agree that it is a pretty much perfect little microcosm of what souls games are and why they are excellent. Superbly designed level.

Boss was a tad easy but that’s not a problem.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Few of the bosses are really difficult, which is good considering how long it takes to get to some of them. And they're all quite different from one another, rather than just a tough guy standing in a big square room, something I definitely prefer.
  • World 2 done. The boss fight at the end was as pants as I remember, but ended up with white tendency which let me...
    Spoiler:
  • World 1-2 done the other night. So massively simple a level after the perfection of the level before was a slight downside. The boss wasn’t too challenging however I did go through a fair few health items due to getting stupidly caught in some attacks.
  • World 1-2 done the other night. So massively simple a level after the perfection of the level before was a slight downside. The boss wasn’t too challenging however I did go through a fair few health items due to getting stupidly caught in some attacks.

Yeah, it's such a drastic shift from 1-1. There's even a level elsewhere that is basically you going from one room to the next to fight a boss with no enemies in between. More of an exception than the rule those though.

Just done 3-1. Was in human form and shitting it before the boss fight as didn't want to risk dropping world tendency, but was fairly smooth sailing. Great stage this one. Some proper Bloodborne vibes going on with the night sky.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    3-1, 3-2, 4-2, 4-3, 5-2, and kinda 1-1/3/4, after all timer top tier levels. For them all to be in one game is impressive. Particularly alongside the Nexus and other invented mechanics.
  • Anyone know if gear get's carried over in NG+? I wanted the option of a new character/class but being able to use the gear I've picked up on the first run. Not sure if that's how it works.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    You keep your gear, you stay fully leveled up tho, so can't really re-class.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Unless you use the new nexus thing maybe? Can't remember what that stuff all was.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    You keep your gear, you stay fully levelled up tho, so can't really re-class.

Cool. Might start thinking about a next play-through as I get near the end then and spend souls accordingly. Wanted to go from my super defensive Knight build into more of a two handed one-hit wonder Dragon Bone Smasher build.
  • Struggled slightly with 2-1 this evening. The common enemies are absolutely fine but those fat guys are utter bastards, mainly because they always seem to be in a really narrow environment. I’ve utilised quick trips back to the nexus in order to level up/upgrade weapons and I think I’m close to the boss now.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Good luck :P
  • Yeah the 2-1 boss has just twatted me repeatedly. I feel I know what to do but I need to get my rolls sorted/improved. Hiding behind a shield hasn’t been massively helpful for this one
  • Once you're comfortable with it's patterns of attack, it's smooth sailing. I try to get in close as quickly as possible. This boss was my go-to for co-op reviving myself for a few nights.
  • drumbeg wrote:
    Once you're comfortable with it's patterns of attack, it's smooth sailing. I try to get in close as quickly as possible. This boss was my go-to for co-op reviving myself for a few nights.

Got it first try tonight. Only had about twenty minutes to play so only had one attempt really. The attacks just clicked-still struggled massively with that run down the corridor but once I spotted the tell for the big insta-kill oil thing I was good to go!
  • Good stuff. I enjoyed helping people out with that one.

Just done 5-1. I've been putting this stage off as it's horrible. I guess it wouldn't be a Souls game without some murky wet cursed valley level.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Lol enjoy 5-2 :P
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Lol enjoy 5-2 :P

Best level in any Souls game bar none.
  • Fucking numbers... GIVE ME NAMES OF THE AREAS
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Who uses names? Weirdo
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    So I’ve got as far as I got on PS3 last night. Took out the boss on 3-1 and she disappeared. I left the fog. Found another dead end so went back and she reappears. I’ve got next to no healing and died. Read online if I’d headed to the alter it would’ve triggered me getting the soul. Fucking game. Anyway will piss over her next time (not literally).
  • I keep chipping away at this intermittently.

Have now finished the first level of each area, as well as 1-2.  I've got as far as Flamelurker and the Maneater, but just got my arse handed to me everytime.  I really enjoyed 3-2 barring the boss.  (Upper Latria for Elf).

I found 4-1 (Shrine of Storms) a bit of a slog, and will coyly admit to using the shortcut having decided I couldn't face trekking all the way round again. Meanwhile the boss in 5-1(Valley of Defilement), felt like a practical joke as it seemed comically easy compared to, well, everything else.
  • Tin to the rescue with area names.  You da man.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    So I’ve got as far as I got on PS3 last night. Took out the boss on 3-1 and she disappeared. I left the fog. Found another dead end so went back and she reappears. I’ve got next to no healing and died. Read online if I’d headed to the alter it would’ve triggered me getting the soul. Fucking game. Anyway will piss over her next time (not literally).

Not sure that's sound advice. There is a message in the boss arena that gives you a hint as to what to do. Keep exploring the level too.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Sorted it. Cheers. She’s done now. There was a guy I had to kill.
  • I left Maneater as late as possible. Much trickier than most of the bosses.
  • I still think about trying to plough through 5-2 as thats the final bit i have to do before the end game stuff but i just can't face it.  Last time i'd almost made it - i could see the end in site and then i got fucking invaded by some fucko and i just couldn't face it anymore.  I may go back but i just wasn't enjoying that level at all.
  • Tried it myself earlier. Grim.
  • 5-2 is up there with all time best levels in videogames.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!