Microsoft Flight Simulator - PC/Series X-S/Cloud
  • Minkymu wrote:
    Oooooh ok

Don't listen to them, it's a trick. I played it and it's really quite boring even in multiplayer.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • If you don't like 'walking simulators' or other slow experiences where you absorb your surroundings then you probably won't get much from this. The world is probably one of the most interesting and detailed to explore in any game of course, being that's it's a 1:1 representation of our planet. Learning how to use the many and detailed planes is pretty interesting too.

A very important aspect to the enjoyment is the multiplayer, flying around and exploring the world with friends and randoms is a joy, especially with those from other countries as you chat about places you fly over and get an insight into what it's like to live there. If you get on Discord while playing you can easily join other people's flights, and you can also watch someone else's stream up on a second screen or navigate with a map in a browser which you cruise along.

There is plenty of excitement to be had if you use a little imagination; racing down canyons and through mountain valleys, trying to land on buildings, mock dogfights, flying into crazy weather, looking for the maddest airports to try and land at. Going to Papua in particular and flying Caravans is always so much fun, there's so many tiny mountainside village runways that you really have to focus to land at, and the weather and turblence is often not in your favour, hugely fun and memorable moments from doing that.

You've gotta make your own fun basically, if you need something to shoot or a story then look elsewhere.
  • A big world update should be coming soon, probably in the next couple of weeks - https://www.flightsimulator.com/january-21st-2021-development-update/
    World Update 3: United Kingdom & Ireland

We are hard at work hard on World Update 3 and it is looking great! This massive update contains new aerials, new DEM, over 70 POIs, 5 airports, two landing challenges, and will also introduce 5 brand-new photogrammetry cities for your enjoyment. Unfortunately, these new cities are causing a slight delay… it’s a new process and data source for us and the tools have to be updated for these cities to integrate seamlessly into the sim. The Bing Maps team is working hard to make this happen and the data provider, Bluesky, is helping as well. We believe that the remaining issues will be resolved within a few days so we are targeting the release one week later than originally planned. We apologize about the delay, but are convinced that it will be worth the wait … and that a full 3D London is a critical element of this release. Thank you for your patience. Here are a few images of what’s to come:

ForthBridges.png

BlarneyCastle.png

Windsor.png
  • Oh holy shit those bridges.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    You want to fly under them right?
  • Flying under bridges in this can be hit or miss, literally.
  • I really just want to fly around that area.  I've been over those bridges sooooo many times.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Says forth but I can only see three. Is the other one still waiting to be patched in?
  • I really hope Bristol looks actually decent, I'd like to loop the loop the fuck out of the Clifton bridge.

• GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Is the cliffton bridge the one over cheddar gorge?
  • Some more details revealed about the upcoming UK update at 16:40 here -

It sounds like there will be five photogrammetry areas; London, Birmingham, Oxford, Cambridge, and Bristol(!). This means that the detail there will look very accurate, you should be able to see every house and tree that exists in real life. Hyped for Bristol, not that I have a massive love for the place but it will be cool to visit an area in the sim that I know fairly well. Presumably the above bridge should be represented too.

I think much of the rest of the UK will be getting a detail upgrade too, but will likely stay with auto-generated buildings etc. I remember reading that they were trying to update the AI tech to place churches in the right places, so we'll see how good of a job that does.

There's also a wee teaser trailer in this vid, 18:18, that shows some of the bespoke modelled landmarks that will be added: Lands End, Eden Project, Stonehenge, Salisbury Cathedral, Spinnaker Tower, Brighton Palace Pier, Cliffs of Dover, Canterbury Cathedral, Martime Greenwich World Heritage Site, London Eye, Buckingham Palace, Stamford Bridge, Windsor Castle, Blenheim Palace, Hampton Court, Warwick Castle, Principality Stadium, Snowdonia National Park, Pontcysyllte Aqueduct.

The next World Update after this will be France, Belgium, Netherlands, and Luxembourg. Planned for the end of March.
  • They need to have the ai figure out stadiums as well.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Not blown away by the accuracy of Greenwich. The maritime museum and royal hospital look good, but that church on the left looks nothing like St Alfege’s, and there’s no sign of the Cutty Sark or the clipper dock, but perhaps it’s still a work in progress.
  • Yeah so the vast majority of places will still be made with AI auto generated buildings, which will look at the texture and the shadows and approximate what building should stand there. There's definitely a lot of room for improvement there, like if you had one of us look at aerial photos we could probably figure out what a building looks like pretty well, especially if we live here and know what typical buildings for the area are like.

So I think given a few years the AI should be making a much better job of it. It's a good technique for this sort of thing because it scales easily across the entire globe, and can be improved incrementally without a lot of labour.

You can expect photogrammetry in cities to cover the central areas pretty well, but outskirt suburbs might remain autogen. So don't expect the whole of London to be totally legit. It's because it requires some detailed aerial photography from multiple angles, probably expensive and needs to be done when the weather's good.
  • I once had to hold at Blarney Castle in C152 to wait for a 737 to land at Shannon before me. Must recreate that trip when this comes to console.
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • Has anyone else done this in VR?
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Had a brief go, performance took quite a hit but it was great for a short while (typical vr). Picking a small plane and leaning out of the side to look down was a particular highlight.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Is this UK/London stuff out now? Or coming soon? And is it base game or Moran edition only?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Coming soon and it will be in the base game. The moran edition only adds more detailed airports
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Hurray and hurrah
  • The UK update is apparently hopefully coming out today, maybe 4ish. Will let yous know if it drops.

I'll be hooning about the Isles if people are about tonight.
  • Ooh, I'll give that a go
  • Bugger -
    World Update 3 is in its final polish phase and is now locked in for release on Tuesday, February 16th. The team is putting the finishing touches on all aspects of this massive update, and we appreciate your continued patience.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Is the cliffton bridge the one over cheddar gorge?

The Gorge had this one...

Rudy.jpg
  • The update for the UK has finally dropped, looking forward to having an explore round a few places to see how it looks now. If anyone would like to know what a particular place looks like in the sim let me know and I'll take some pics. Going to be flying tonight if anyone's about.
    How to prepare for this update:
    1.    If you are using the manual cache feature, please make sure to delete it via the in-game menu and create an updated version as we performed some backend technical updates.
    2.    Some packages in your community folder may not have been updated and, as a result, may have an unexpected impact on the title’s performance and behavior. Please move your community package(s) to another folder before relaunching the title if you suffer from stability issues or long loading times.
    3.    After you download the newest update for Microsoft Flight Simulator, head to the Marketplace to download the free World Update.

https://www.flightsimulator.com/release-notes-1-13-16-0-world-update-iii-united-kingdom-now-available/

POINTS OF INTEREST

One Blackfriars
        BT Tower
        Newfoundland
        St George Wharf Tower
        Southbank Tower
        20 Fenchurch Street/ Sky Garden
        The Leadenhall Building / 122 Leadenhall Street
        HSBC / 8 Canada Square
        Tower 42
        25 Canada Square / City Bank
        22 Bishopsgate
        Landmark Pinnacle
        Heron Tower
        One Park Drive
        The Scalpel
        The Madison
        100 Bishopsgate
        Aykon London One
        30 St Mary Axe (The Gherkin)
        Strata
        Palace of Holyroodhouse
        Blenheim Palace
        St. James’s Palace
        Palace of Westminster
        Glamis Castle
        Buckingham Palace
        Archbishop’s Palace, Maidstone
        Wolvesey Castle
        Floors Castle
        Balmoral Castle
        Hillsborough Castle
        Dublin Castle
        Mount Stuart House
        Blair Castle
        Hampton Court Palace
        Rock of Cashel
        Stirling Castle
        Warwick Castle
        Windsor Castle
        Blarney Castle
        Eilean Donan Castle
        Edinburgh Castle
        Caernarfon Castle
        Canterbury Cathedral
        Durham Cathedral
        Fountains Abbey
        Lincoln Cathedral
        Salisbury Cathedral
        St. Paul’s Cathedral
        Westminster Abbey
        York Minster
        Angel of the North
        Blackpool Tower
        British Airways i360 (Brighton)
        Glenfinnan Viaduct
        Humber Bridge
        Jodrell Bank Observatory
        Kelpies, The
        Maritime Greenwich
        Pontcysyllte Aqueduct
        Royal Botanical Gardens
        Royal Liver Building
        Samson & Goliath (Cranes)
        Spinnaker Tower
        Stonehenge
        Titanic Belfast
        Tower of London
        Wales Millenium Centre
        Wallace Monument
        All England Club
        Anfield
        Emirates Stadium
        Goodison Park
        Millennium Stadium
        Old Trafford
        St. James’ Park
        Stamford Bridge
        Twickenham Stadium
        Villa Park
        Wembley Stadium
        Eden Project
        London Eye
        Southend Pier
        Millennium Bridge London
        Blackfriars Railway Bridge
        Southwark Bridge
        Cannon Street Railway Bridge
        Blackfriars Bridge
        Vauxhall Bridge
        Grosvenor Bridge
        One Canada Sqaure
        Waterloo Bridge
        Hungerford Bridge and Golden Jubilee Bridges
        Lambeth Bridge
        Chelsea Bridge
        Albert Bridge London
        Battersea Bridge
        Battersea Railway Bridge
        Wandsworth Bridge
        Clifton Suspension Bridge
        Forth Rail Bridge
        Forth Road Bridge
        Queensferry Crossing
        Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy Bridge
        Tees Transporter Bridge
        Tower Bridge
        Tyne Bridge
        Westminster Bridge

…and more!
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Looks like the update is now available, and based on the trailer that’s been uploaded:

It appears that they have at least fixed St Alfege’s.
  • They've done a load of stadiums! And Blackpool Tower!

I think I still have a picture of Old Trafford from The Before Times, so will post a comparison if I can find it.

Edit - cheers for letting me know Yoss.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!