Longplays/playthroughs/speedrunning - games to watch
  • Depends how strict you want to be with generalisations I guess.  My initial reaction would be that these two are very different, but of course they share plenty of similarities nonetheless.  So yes/no?
  • mk64 wrote:
    are all of these games close enough to be called/deemed clones of eachother? These games which are one screen navigate using jumps/flying tech etc?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    One thing is for sure, it will be some time before I return to the genre after Super Meat Boy.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • i think i'm asking if that type of game is now a defined genre with a name to describe it?
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Not that I know of.  Single screen mascocore platformers mayber?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    They all have that floaty type of handling I presume?  It's definitely a sub-genre all right.

RSI-em-up.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The Summer GDQ list is out.

https://gamesdonequick.com/schedule/43

Peggle Deluxe included! Should make for an interesting watch.  Brave to tackle this one live.   Or maybe not?

Pepsiman making a return too.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    No mention of the blindfolded BOTW run?!
  • Ooh, Dangun Feveron
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    mrsmr2 wrote:
    Ooh, Dangun Feveron

Missed that. Shmups are auto-scrollers so they really don't fit into a speed running event - but I really appreciate the organisers covering the genre.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    No mention of the blindfolded BOTW run?!

Ha no way.
  • Mario Maker Relay will likely be good fun again.
  • Just watched the Futari run from 3 years ago. I'm a nervious wreck.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It's spellbinding. That's a v1.01 run too - which was tweaked from v1.0 but still half broken and why v1.5 is "proper" Futari. I think the 1up score rule was set for that run to make it remotely possible. Played with a 360 pad, live, and then topped off with a Bukowski poem.

It doesn't get any better.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Very soft NI accent there. Possibly North Down.

That character yelling would get old very quickly for me......
  • You can mute the screams, thankfully.
  • Youngling beats Tetris. Apparently the first to do so.

• Yes, i watched a vieo about this last week, impressive! His level of concentration on the dark wells is so good. There's a good interview with him (as good as it can be with a child) on youtube too. 

4-5 years ago the quality of tetris on this version was shit. I'd honestly have fancied my chances at a world championships but since covid the quality and the strategies have gone through the roof. The roll tapping method is mental and would take ages to master but is vital to competing at the top level. The overall ability is right up there now with TGM. 

I'm wondering if we will see similar changes in tetris for the gb using things like the gameboy player.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Saw that myself. Bonkers.

Classic arcade marathoners have had to avoid game crashes for some time by watching wave and life counters etc.. The story of Missile Command is particularly interesting.
  • about three people have now done it on classic tetris
  • mk64 wrote:
    Yes, i watched a vieo about this last week, impressive! His level of concentration on the dark wells is so good. There's a good interview with him (as good as it can be with a child) on youtube too.  4-5 years ago the quality of tetris on this version was shit. I'd honestly have fancied my chances at a world championships but since covid the quality and the strategies have gone through the roof. The roll tapping method is mental and would take ages to master but is vital to competing at the top level. The overall ability is right up there now with TGM.  I'm wondering if we will see similar changes in tetris for the gb using things like the gameboy player.

This is bollocks.

The quality was really high. The newer tapping methods were required to take it to the next level, but to say the quality was shit is just nonsense.

• None of the top players from ANY other Tetris game played it.

The video doesn’t work but again I’m fairly highly ranked on Tetris friends but would get annihilated by someone like blink or wumbo. If they bothered to play this…
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Games done quick starts a week today

Schedule - here
  • Glad it's a live event - the online only ones were cool, still, but i'll admit I prefer it when there's a crowd there for the runners to bounce off of.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Re the earlier Tetris conversation.  Some decent TGM players took part in the earlier years (a player called Alex was one) but the main issue with modern Tetris players playing Classic NES Tetris is the huge backward step it is with respect to controls. No wall kicks for example -  the delay shift and the lockdown delay are very different - it would take some time to adjust and screw up your modern game memory muscle I'd guess?  Modern Tetris is a very different game.

Not to mention the randomiser which is a major feature to get around - no bag randomisers here , only a 1 piece preview and no standard colour scheme to use with soft focus on the preview piece. No hard drop. No ghost piece. Modern features facilitate faster play and NES Tetris doesn't have them.

The standard of play was probably lower than TGM/Friends (evidenced by the prevalence of DAS players in classic Tetris - and the early finals weren't really impressive displays) etc but Classic Tetris is a challenging game to play well.
  • Good start to GDQ, watched the DKC1 run, was great watching reverse boss order. I'm half way through F-zero all cups.

Anyone watched anything else yet?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    forgot about this. There's a good lineup for my tastes this year.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!