Let's have an argument - Argh it keeps recurring!
  • The problem is the point where you see the gap is the point where it ceases to be infinite though.

You can never stop to see the gap.
  • I don’t know it that well - but there is something about the infinity that flips it.

It’s impossible to comprehend it but the act of doing infinite steps makes it into the 1. No matter how many of your percentages you add it will add it will always be smaller than the full but being able to do infinite of them is the only way to breach the gap but doing infinite is incomprehensibly impossible.
  • Just listened to The Why Factor on R4 (top programme btw). Today's was about the perception of time.

Ready?

Next Wednesday's meeting has been moved forward by 2 days. What day is the meeting happening now? Read again and think about it for a second.

If you were one of the 50% of people who thought Friday you see yourself moving forward and back in time - the ego moving metaphor.

If you correctly thought Monday you represent the population who sees yourself as static and time moves around you - winter is heading towards you etc.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Just listened to The Why Factor on R4 (top programme btw). Today's was about the perception of time. Ready? Next Wednesday's meeting has been moved forward by 2 days. What day is the meeting happening now? Read again and think about it for a second. If you were one of the 50% of people who thought Friday you see yourself moving forward and back in time - the ego moving metaphor. If you correctly thought Monday you represent the population who sees yourself as static and time moves around you - winter is heading towards you etc.

What?
  • 50%?
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • True.
  • I immediately thought Friday. Slowed down and thought Monday.

Like a lot of these questions it is hard to take them out of our world experience and world experience is that if meetings change date it is almost always to a a day further in the future (had to be careful with wording there).

I think rather than the two conclusions proposed there what I actually did was to skim read and collect the vital info.
    Meeting.
    Changed.
    Wednesday.
    2 days.

My life experience filled in the gaps and said Friday.
    Like I say reading it back slowly the error was clear.
    To be fair the question does encourage the reader to go slow.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    DrewMerson wrote:
    But saying that something maintains a constant speed is not the same as saying that something travels 99% of the distance each time. If it does each stage in 1 second, then it is infinitely slowing down but never coming to a stop, and getting infinitesimally close to 100% but never getting there.

Right, ok, yes, if each 99% chunk takes 1s, then it will never get there. Cos it will keep getting infinitely slower. Agreed. But nothing actually moves like that, and that's totally separate to the question of whether 2.99r = 3, so I'm not quite clear of the relevance of is this a deliberate tangent?
  • I really like this ant one

• If the motion actually ends up being 0.9rec it describes 1. If it describes a naught and a gazillions of 9s after the decimal point then that is not 1.

You cants stop with infinite thats the trap. Like at what moment are you measuring the gap? There is no time you can measure the gap.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    I immediately thought Friday. Slowed down and thought Monday. Like a lot of these questions it is hard to take them out of our world experience and world experience is that if meetings change date it is almost always to a a day further in the future (had to be careful with wording there). I think rather than the two conclusions proposed there what I actually did was to skim read and collect the vital info. Meeting. Changed. Wednesday. 2 days. My life experience filled in the gaps and said Friday. Like I say reading it back slowly the error was clear. To be fair the question does encourage the reader to go slow.

I thought Friday too because forward in time is +.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    That's not a valid conclusion to have drawn. @andy
  • But brought means bring like a butler to you with a coke.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Look at the example I have (having misunderstood your premise). That shows that 0.99r = 1. Anything else is a mistake.

Having adjusted the premise, what we concluded was that after any finite amount of time we wouldn't make it, that's different to the (mathematically meaningless) after an infinite amount of time statement you jumped to. Much like however many 9s you terminated after writing out 0.99999, it's not 1 unless you keep going forever.

Edit: Mathematically, it's a convergent series. You define equals to mean "for any number you give me, we can get that close and stay that close". That's all you can do with infinite sequences, when they don't terminate. If 0.99r isn't 1, tell me how much less than 1 it is, and you'll be wrong cos it's closer than that of you at more 9s.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Bring forward = sooner, delay = later. I don't see myself as static in time, I just understand English.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Bring forward = sooner, delay = later. I don't see myself as static in time, I just understand English.

Yes, this. Or, in particular, business English, having had shitshows like that actually happen in the office. Feels like a "what phrasing have you experienced" thing rather than "oooh, this just be how you perceive time". Though I haven't watched the video.
  • Bring forward = sooner, delay = later. I don't see myself as static in time, I just understand English.
  • Yeah well you shnoods don't have to contend with time going backward and instead go to meetings.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Yes, so your example isn't representative of 0.99r
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    @andy I added some stuff. I'm not disagreeing with what you just wrote there. I still disagree with your previous conclusion, which doesn't follow from it.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    FTR this is a hill I'm happy to dice on
  • I've just invented shnoods (Quasi-Jewish for not having to think about quantum mechanics) but my point stands
  • I thought you were talking about those rolled back foreskin scarfs footballers used to wear for a bit.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!