Movie Record 2021 Edition
  • Shirkers - Surprisingly affecting documentary about a group of teenagers making an independent movie in Singapore in the early 90s, with the assistance of their film teacher.  It's an altogether more complicated tale than that synopsis implies, but to say more would be to spoil it.  A film about creativity, loss, and some pretty extraordinary kids.   ( 8 )

The Last Man on Earth - Vincent Price starring version of I Am Legend.  It has its moments, but is let down by its obviously meagre budget, and some unintentional comedy.  (Any tension in the early stages is somewhat undermined by the fact that our hero seems able to largely escape his attackers by shrugging.)  More annoyingly, it fudges a number of the story's big reveals, allowing them to brush past rather than land with any real significance.  Still, its influence on later films is obvious, and Price does a good line in lonely melancholy.    (6)

Dr Terror's House of Horrors - Anthology film with Christopher Lee, Peter Cushing, Donald Sutherland and, erm, Roy Castle.  Like all horror anthologies it's a mixed bag, with Lee's segment as a humiliated art critic easily the stand out.  (The Roy Castle voodoo section whilst full of "normal for the day" racism, is also a weirdly breezy piece about the perils of cultural appropriation).  It's horror as campy fun rather than anything truly chilling, but entertaining enough.   (6)
  • The Daddy wrote:
    8. They Live. I mean, objecively this is not a good film. But, what a fucking film! [7]

Oh no sir this is a great film. Carpenter at his best. Great play on someone going postal with the shades too.
    PSN - minkymu
  • 18. Mamma Mia
    Watched at the behest of mother and sister, the things you do for family. Cheesey, campy karaoke 'em up. A thin, inoffensive story stretched over Streep, Brosnan and Co., caterwauling out ABBA's back catalogue. Not a disaster but I question whether sticking pins in my eyes and Gold on the wireless would have been more preferable. 5

19. Breakdown
    Kurt Russell loses wife in desert and falls foul of a kidnapping trucker gang. Very solid and effective 90s thriller. 7.5

20. Calm With Horses
    Top tier Irish crime drama. A bruising ex-boxer with a soft side has to balance providing for his autistic son with the burden of responsibility of being the goto bruiser for a crime family. Excellent performance by Cosmo Jarvis. 8.5

21. We Own The Night
    Joaquin Phoenix and Mark Wahlberg headline this solid crime thriller as a divided family of club manager (Phoenix) and cop (Wahlberg) are drawn together and into conflict with the Russian mob. 7.5
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Breakdown's a great slice of 90s thriller, love me anything like that set on the long California highways.
  • 9. Saint Maud. This didn't grip me, but I did like it. The finale was great, and the build up is retrosepctively solid. Doesn't outstay it's welcome. I probably shouldn't have watched it in the daytime, found it difficult to engage with the middle third. [7]
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Webbins wrote:
    18. Mamma Mia
    Watched at the behest of mother and sister, the things you do for family. Cheesey, campy karaoke 'em up. A thin, inoffensive story stretched over Streep, Brosnan and Co., caterwauling out ABBA's back catalogue. Not a disaster but I question whether sticking pins in my eyes and Gold on the wireless would have been more preferable. 5

19. Breakdown
    Kurt Russell loses wife in desert and falls foul of a kidnapping trucker gang. Very solid and effective 90s thriller. 7.5

20. Calm With Horses
    Top tier Irish crime drama. A bruising ex-boxer with a soft side has to balance providing for his autistic son with the burden of responsibility of being the goto bruiser for a crime family. Excellent performance by Cosmo Jarvis. 8.5

21. We Own The Night
    Joaquin Phoenix and Mark Wahlberg headline this solid crime thriller as a divided family of club manager (Phoenix) and cop (Wahlberg) are drawn together and into conflict with the Russian mob. 7.5

Mamma Mia is an all-time 11/10 for me. I fucking love it so so much
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Watched these 2:

The colour of space- A Nick Cage scifi weird fest. Watchable but also pretty shit. Nick Cage couldn’t even manage a decent Nick Cage. 5.0

21 Bridges- a russo brothers film with some decent actors and a brisk pace. Good shoot outs and lots of running around. The plot is signposted too often and too early but enjoyable no less 7.5
    PSN - minkymu
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Color out of Space is great, I really enjoyed it. Cage wasn't really the centre of attention in it anyway.
  • 11. Ju-On: The Curse
    Realised I hadn't watched a Ju-On so went for the very first one. Compressed YouTube probably not the best platform but it's nowhere else. Was pretty good but could have done without the cliche horror soundtrack at times. Did a good job with tension and spooks without it.
    [5]
  • 13. Greenland
    Once I'd got over my incredulity at the fact that I was watching a Gerard Butler film, I really enjoyed this. He's actually pretty good in it, playing against his usual type as an everyman is an extraordinarily stressful situation. Pretty great SFX and some very dark moments make this very watchable. 7
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    No retroking in here this year?

Not this year no. This site was blocked at work last spring and posting with links on a mobile is a massive pain, hence the multiple reviews in single posts last year.

Still pop in and have a read though, nice to see what your all watching and hopefully pick up some unknown gems along the way.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I watched Greenland last week, enjoyed it myself, 7 sounds about right.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    17. Inside Man - how did I miss this great film. A heist movie with a great story that keeps you guessing. While I did guess the “end” I still enjoyed some great performances from Denzel, Owen and Plummer. And Jodie Foster looked like she was having great fun really playing against type. The supporting cast were also excellent. Brilliant stuff.
  • I love that film. Seen it many times on the telly box over the years, and I'm always surprised that every time I re-watch it, I see some new little detail or twist I've never noticed before. Cracking stuff.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I just don’t know how I missed it. It’s exactly the sort of film I love.
  • I think when I first saw it, I just came across it randomly on the telly one night years ago. I'd never heard of it.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Great soundtrack.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Clive Owen is hugely underated.

Watch Children of men. Fuck me.

Slso he is excellent in the BMW promo films, the driver.
    PSN - minkymu
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yep Owen is great in Children of Men and in Closer. That fuck you moment in Closer is priceless. As is the argument scene with Roberts.
  • Yeah i feel sad he seems to have just gone
    PSN - minkymu
  • Gone? I can't get away from the cunt pimping BetFair every neet on the YouTube.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    18. Greenland - just watch 2012 or Armageddon or Deep Impact instead.
  • Any other films like Inside Man that peeps recommend? I love a good twisty turny
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Thomas Crown Affair and Trance are two that spring to mind.
  • Frailty, Life of David Gale, Jacob's Ladder and Old Boy are all decent twisty films that aren't on everyones watch lists
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Any other films like Inside Man that peeps recommend? I love a good twisty turny

No Way Out

Costner, Hackman and Patton, great cast but unsure if it holds up as it’s a 90’s thriller and liked virtually anything that was new in on a Blockbuster shelf.

retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Jacob's Ladder is a great call, haven't seen it in years, but what a film.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    . Brilliant film. See it now before the remake.

Angel heart is great. Mickey rourke and robert deniro.

Obvs the usual suspects.

Predestination

Ohhhhh and there was one with bill pullman in where he plays ind part of an fbi duo. Can’t really remember the nane but that’s good

PSN - minkymu
  • Surveillance was the bill pullman film
    PSN - minkymu
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Minkymu wrote:
    b0r1s wrote:
    . Brilliant film. See it now before the remake. Angel heart is great. Mickey rourke and robert deniro. Obvs the usual suspects. Predestination Ohhhhh and there was one with bill pullman in where he plays ind part of an fbi duo. Can’t really remember the nane but that’s good

What the actual fuck?

Oh yeah Angel Heart is fab.

I didn't think of these films. While they are definitely twisty turny, I put them more in the psychological horror/thriller camp, but definitely great movies.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!