Social media and discussion - A Musky odour
  • What in the ever living fuck is he up to now?
    In his Ted talk, @elonmusk is talking about letting Twitter run similarly to the blockchain where the algorithms are controlled by the community rather than a handful of people writing and enforcing the rules.
    https://twitter.com/eleanorterrett/status/1514658388268957696?s=21&t=29cKsrcSrJZ2ZhVDZGZxqQ
  • Bring it on.

He will either plunge Twitter into obscurity or make it so horrific governments have to do something about it rather than pretending everything is fine while the current Twitter board make a token effort.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    "Birds aren't real" was my university story too
  • https://theintercept.com/2022/04/04/amazon-union-living-wage-restrooms-chat-app/

Following the meeting, an “auto bad word monitor” was devised, constituting a blacklist that would flag and automatically block employees from sending a message that contains any profane or inappropriate keywords. In addition to profanities, however, the terms include many relevant to organized labor, including “union,” “grievance,” “pay raise,” and “compensation.” Other banned keywords include terms like “ethics,” “unfair,” “slave,” “master,” “freedom,” “diversity,” “injustice,” and “fairness.” Even some phrases like “This is concerning” will be banned.
  • https://www.theguardian.com/society/2022/apr/17/instagram-under-fire-over-sexualised-child-images

Is the current corporate model of social media even salvageable?
    I guess if it makes money surely it is not broken so why fix it?
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Really interesting thread from former Reddit CEO on free speech and censorship on social media:

https://twitter.com/yishan/status/1514938507407421440
  • I don't believe for a minute that FB and Twitter don't want people being shitty to each other - it increases engagement. Sure, they have to step in sometimes when it reaches a certain level, but how long did that take with, say, Trump on Twitter? He was great for traffic on the site.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I read a book earlier this year called "Custodians of the Internet" by a Microsoft researcher called Tartleton Gillespie which might be interesting for this discussion. It is essentially about how major platforms make content moderation decisions and why. A whack of algorithmic stuff in there (it opens with Facebook taking down a photographer posting that horrific Vietnam was photo of the girl on fire, which was part of the photographer's "10 most important photos of all time" post) but also gets into some of the bigger business decisions.
  • They would like you (the users) to stop squabbling over stupid shit and causing drama so that they can spend their time writing more features and not have to adjudicate your stupid little fights.
    Well yeah they just don’t want the modding costs. Doesn’t mean they’re not set up to create situations where it’s most required.
  • JonB wrote:
    I don't believe for a minute that FB and Twitter don't want people being shitty to each other - it increases engagement. Sure, they have to step in sometimes when it reaches a certain level, but how long did that take with, say, Trump on Twitter? He was great for traffic on the site.

This is where is starts and ends for me, absent of more revealing statistics.

I too love drama and goss, but I shouldn't be put in charge of a social media platform either.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I can entirely believe that social media execs don’t want the drama that comes with conflict on their platforms while still wanting the engagement that the conflict brings, the problem is that they’re only rewarded for one of these outcomes.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I can entirely believe that social media execs don’t want the drama that comes with conflict on their platforms while still wanting the engagement that the conflict brings, the problem is that they’re only rewarded for one of these outcomes.

Its a bit like online gaming. You dont want people to act shitty towards each other or cheat but the nature of competitive play brings out the worst in some (many?)

I mean even here, this place wasnt set up to give a space for arguments and yet it still happens. Mostly because of Yoss (he is our Omega event) but still...

(actually found that Reddit guys thread very interesting and felt it made a lot of sense)
    SFV - reddave360
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:

I don't use Facebook enough to know how it pushes content, I'd guess it's similar to Twitter, but I wouldn't know for sure. 

Sure, Twitter profits from these popular accounts, but from what I can see, there's no conspicuous funnel. At least not for me. When I see suggestions to follow Elon Musk, for example, I have two choices. It's the same when I see a certain class of argument I don't like. 

What I would say, is that the social media companies should police threatening and abusive behavior. 
    It should be forced by law, and they should pay. But that might be a different argument.

I think a better question to ask, is where those squeaky wheels get their oil from... To get 10,000+ people to follow anything, especially some random blert on a microblogging platform, needs time or money. Most of the time, it's some renegade professional, and in those cases, it makes sense. Occasionally though, it does actually seem to be some pillock in a dark room, rolling multiple alts. So I wonder where those people get their support from.

But then what I'm writing here is only a tiny fraction of a much bigger story, tbf. Some of the censorship stuff that you bring up interests me. There are going to be certain subjects that won't be helpful for the 'publishers', or us, the great unwashed, to share. Beheadings and all that shit for a start. And then there's stuff like National Security requests. 

But then there's those grey areas where some posts are purged contentiously. In which case, that's an extension of the problem we've had since Rupert Murdoch. And tbf, more often than not, is more usually conservative voices that break those kind of rules in the most common cases. 

I'd wonder what a Beeb run Twitter would look like, for example. In fact, I'd like to know what rules they use to determine when to put a comment stream under a story. When they do allow comments on a story, especially on the sports pages, or very rarely, some of the bigger political stories, those streams read almost exactly like the ones on the Daily Mail.

But it's clear they have a nuanced policy to all that stuff there, and I think it would be useful to understand more about what they're trying to do.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I've always believed Twitter would've failed without its character limits, because I think they invited celebs as they in turn invited followers. Stephen Fry was a major early fan, its limits counter to his TV nature, until you realise it platformed him without reciprocal commitments. Celeb catnip.

Ziggurat-thrown celeb reckons perfect for an online age of vacuity. It's also very useful for other things, but none of those would've sustained it from the off to a point of success. That's Reddit.

Fry and Linehan have since learnt how mistaken they were to have expected their laudatory to last.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    If you can write, then write. Don't screw around with valueless shit like Twitter.  Any platform isn't worth the effort apart from some PR gunk.

It's fine, even good,  for micro-niche folk getting together but it's transient, fleeting. Content passes by too quickly and can't be easily referenced. I maintain the forum is superior for that.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Twitter can be a powerful crowdsourcing tool if used right. Things like Bellingcat exist because of it.
  • Some people like the truncated format because it forces them to really think how to condense an idea down, a bit of a challenge I guess. It's obviously no replacement for a proper page+ of writing though.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Some people like the truncated format because it forces them to really think how to condense an idea down, a bit of a challenge I guess. It's obviously no replacement for a proper page+ of writing though.

The impression I get is that folk don't rise to that challenge.  Sure, posts in forums can ramble, but having that replaced by soundbyte mentality isn't the solution. It depends what you are talking about I suppose.
  • I’ve been using Twitter since it was SMS based - before we had smartphones - which where the character limit came from.

Its short form is what makes it a success. It’s fast. It’s off-the-cuff. It’s informal.

For me, all the things about Twitter that piss people off are ultimately just annoying things about people. The platform itself just amplifies them and makes them seem like bigger annoyances.
  • Short form is always going to lean towards polarised opinions rather than nuance. It feeds on instant, brief, clear reactions, not considered takes about a thing that came up a few days ago. Of course, some people go to the trouble and create interesting threads, but it's a very small percentage.
  • My main issue with twitter is nothing to do with twitter. Sometimes it's worth a look but it's not my thing and that's fine. But I really hate that it's used as a source of news from everything from gossipy trash to proper newspapers.

I also don't like it being seen as an acceptable form of official messenger by some government platforms. I'm not saying don't use it, just don't exclusively use it.
    SFV - reddave360
  • "Misinformation?! They're alternative facts!!"
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The twittersphere can fuck off.  Literally no-one would be worse off for it.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I would. As I’ve mentioned in this thread before, part of what I use Twitter for is to follow people from marginalised backgrounds and groups to broaden my knowledge of issues that might be facing them and their perspectives. It’s not something that I’m likely to get from tracking down individual articles through Google. I would be worse off without hearing those voices, no question.
  • I wouldn't have got many of the work opportunities that I have had, without Twitter. It's also pointed me in the direction of lots of good communities that have benefited my life greatly. It's not an ideal platform by any stretch of the imagination, and something would have filled the gap, but it hasn't so Twitter has, and continues to have, its uses.

It's also probably incredibly beneficial for minorities looking for jobs in spheres like writing, as it allows them to network outside of the established boys clubs that make up 90% of publications.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I’m in it for the meme responses if I’m honest.
  • I've no doubt there is plenty of good about Twitter but it does also seem to be the default place to go if you fancy an argument.
    Doesnt really matter the subject, somebody will argue it and at about the basest of levels too.

Unfortunately that arguing spills into otherwise informative, entertaining or useful posts.

Some people exist on there purely for this, making whole careers and personalities out of it. These people then spin into cults both for and against. This is the stuff I can't wrap my head around. Why anybody bothers to waste their time arguing for or against these people and their followers.

Oh well. My main use for Twitter is searching #MUFC when they lose in the hope of Maguire gifs.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!