Social media and discussion - A Musky odour
  • Honestly, I think very smart chin strokers who just want good honest debate could do with fewer smug lists of back slapping best practice and a little more humility when interrogating their own arguments.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Steelmanning.

Steelmanning.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Honestly, I think very smart chin strokers who just want good honest debate could do with fewer smug lists of back slapping best practice and a little more humility when interrogating their own arguments.

The-Red-Uno-Reverse-Card-from-Unorules.org_.png
  • Eh? Idgi.

People are historically bad at judging their own competence and there’s far too much smug lit out there discussing the right way to debate when many of these advocates are, themselves, guilty of being deliberately obtuse, shifting goalposts, oversimplification etc.

I don’t find that article particularly useful, unless I missed sth in your reaction?
  • Steelmanning can’t inherently be good. The problem with strawmanning isn’t that there’s an opposite good one it’s that there’s a stupid version created to be easy smash. Creating a stupid version to elevate an idea doesn’t sound like it would be inherently better - and is probably the realm of your sidekick weasels.

I can see a version of puffing up an idea as a pretext to demolishing it but that just seems just as cynical.
  • Eh? Idgi. People are historically bad at judging their own competence and there’s far too much smug lit out there discussing the right way to debate when many of these advocates are, themselves, guilty of being deliberately obtuse, shifting goalposts, oversimplification etc. I don’t find that article particularly useful, unless I missed sth in your reaction?

I would just say that I think that's a pretty weak interpretation of the whole idea. I think it's pretty evident that literally everyone fails very frequently at being good at communication and not falling back on bad faith shit, I'm sure as fuck that I do this. But that's no reason to throw out the idea that maybe just maybe we should aim for a higher standard of conversation. If you look at an article like that or a comment like this and just infer smugness and high 'n mightiness you've already set the stage for a miserable and fruitless bad faith argument.
  • Me saying that these articles aren’t particularly useful absolutely isn’t throwing “out the idea that maybe just maybe we should aim for a higher standard of conversation “. How can you take that interpretation from what I wrote literally half a page after writing this:
    Please respond to the strongest plausible interpretation of what someone says, not a weaker one that's easier to criticize. Assume good faith.

Seriously. You don’t need those articles. You need self reflection and humility first.
  • Genuinely baffled.

Enjoy yourself, Gurt. Continue the good fight against bad faith and straw mans.
  • Creating a stupid version to elevate an idea doesn’t sound like it would be inherently better - and is probably the realm of your sidekick weasels. I can see a version of puffing up an idea as a pretext to demolishing it but that just seems just as cynical.

I think you may be thinking about it in a slightly wrong way, you probably don't want to create a 'stupid version', but a version of their argument that seems reasonable and one you can empathise with.
  • Me saying that these articles aren’t particularly useful absolutely isn’t throwing “out the idea that maybe just maybe we should aim for a higher standard of conversation “. How can you take that interpretation from what I wrote literally half a page after writing this:
    Please respond to the strongest plausible interpretation of what someone says, not a weaker one that's easier to criticize. Assume good faith.
    Seriously. You don’t need those articles. You need self reflection and humility first.

Ok so I think we're both coming at this from different angles here. Your comments about the article are dismissive, which to me appeared almost not quite but essentially the same as dismissing the idea of talking/thinking about good and bad faith in discussion. After this clarification and rereading I get where your coming from now, that you just think the article isn't useful, though you haven't really clarified why exactly other than to say "You need self reflection and humility first". That's fine and I apologise for reading more into your words than what you said, and would be interested in knowing in more detail why exactly you don't think this stuff isn't worthy of thought?
  • Creating a stupid version to elevate an idea doesn’t sound like it would be inherently better - and is probably the realm of your sidekick weasels. I can see a version of puffing up an idea as a pretext to demolishing it but that just seems just as cynical.

I think you may be thinking about it in a slightly wrong way, you probably don't want to create a 'stupid version', but a version of their argument that seems reasonable and one you can empathise with.

I just think the construction of the term “steelmanning” feels like a lazy riff on “strawmanning” that misunderstands why strawmanning is bad at least in my view.
  • Yeah I kind of agree though it depends on your interpretation of the definition of steelmanning. I probably wouldn't use it in a sentence unless it had a more solid definition in common usage.
  • I kindof understand where Minne is coming from tho.
    We can all try to debate 'civilised' as per the rules of Gurt's article.
    Meanwhile, there's all this funded right wing culture wars propaganda bs flooding (social) media aiming for exactly the opposite.

And the basic common rule is money always fucking wins. Our conservative governments also don't give a flying fuck (see prevous posts on Cadwalladhr) as it (rightwing propaganda) benefits them greatly keeping them in power. To be frank, they thrive on it.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It's just pure brainless lazy thinking.  "Here's a list of good behaviours. Now create a list of their opposites - going to the point of creating a new word to achieve that".

Idiots who get book deals out of such formulaic thinking dressed up as a science. Eff them.

A strawman is a useful tool that is akin to brainstorming. If there is an opposite of that, it's a pet theory, a culturally held "truth" or a vanity project. Not a fucking steelman. Jesus.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    A couple of issues I have with the article.

1. It doesn’t really raise the main issue of how anonymity makes it easier for many people to act in bad faith. Until that is tackled suggesting people can unlearn years of learned behaviour behind an avatar or account name will go nowhere.

2. It’s doing the BBC thing of “balance” again. The extreme left and the extreme right are not the same. Their goals and desired outcomes are not the same because the extreme right typical outcome leads to genocide. The extreme left leads to society being changed for most for the better. Talking to a single Nazi one-to-one in person could lead to proper discourse. Doing the same over social media, where group think can easily seep in, will do nothing.

• I don't interpret the items on the previous page as 'rules', just things to think about and perhaps internalise as useful when talking to people. It's like learning about aspects of sexism or racism etc, once you know that something is a thing that happens and what it looks like, you can apply that idea when looking at what you or others do and see if it matches the pattern. Then you can make a decision to change things if you assess it to be worthwhile.

As for a right/left angle, personally I'm just not concerning myself with whatever aspect of politics the article may or may not be alluding to. I deeply disagree with the notion that some have that it's only 'one side' that does the bad faith arguing, I've seen countless examples to the contrary. I am aware of the various transgressions against fair conversation that parties aligned to 'the right' have made and how disproportionate such things are compared to their opponents, I'm not talking about that stuff, I'm just talking about the bread and butter of everyday conversation.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    1. It doesn’t really raise the main issue of how anonymity makes it easier for many people to act in bad faith. Until that is tackled suggesting people can unlearn years of learned behaviour behind an avatar or account name will go nowhere.

It's not going to change people that don't want to change, you are right. I doubt that's the intention of the article.

There's probably ideas being floated around about how to tackle the anonymity problem, I don't know if there's a good solution though.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    It's just pure brainless lazy thinking.  "Here's a list of good behaviours. Now create a list of their opposites - going to the point of creating a new word to achieve that".

Idiots who get book deals out of such formulaic thinking dressed up as a science. Eff them.

A strawman is a useful tool that is akin to brainstorming. If there is an opposite of that, it's a pet theory, a culturally held "truth" or a vanity project. Not a fucking steelman. Jesus.

I don't think you're on about the same version of strawman as they are
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Re online - anonymity is both its strength and weakness.  Of course ones identity can be screened by an avatar or nickname which is linked to a real ID - but who is going to be the keeper of the truth?

If something is a penny a year to subscribe to then that could provide the means as it's an off-the-shelf solution. But that would likely need to be a new platform that gains traction.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It's just pure brainless lazy thinking.  "Here's a list of good behaviours. Now create a list of their opposites - going to the point of creating a new word to achieve that". Idiots who get book deals out of such formulaic thinking dressed up as a science. Eff them. A strawman is a useful tool that is akin to brainstorming. If there is an opposite of that, it's a pet theory, a culturally held "truth" or a vanity project. Not a fucking steelman. Jesus.
    I don't think you're on about the same version of strawman as they are

Probably. We use it as a first cut of a solution - something we know isn't going to work but has some merits and gets everybody thinking/going/shouting etc.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    The online wanker version of it is to intentionally misrepresent someone's point or argument into something they're not saying because that makes it easier for you to argue against it
  • It can be easy to do it unintentionally with just carelessness too, which is why it's worth thinking about.

Aside from humility I think empathy is critically important to avoiding many of these problems. I feel like the majority of fraught disagreements stem from either party not understanding where the other is coming from and why.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I used to think that anonymity could be an issue online, but then I saw how cunty people can be on Facebook under their real names and now I’m not so sure.
  • I think a lot of it comes down to not being physically face to face, and that lack of consequences that comes with that.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The online wanker version of it is to intentionally misrepresent someone's point or argument into something they're not saying because that makes it easier for you to argue against it

Ah OK.

Serves me right for scanning it and starting to harumph.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Haven’t been on FB for ages but when I was anyone in my circle making shitty comments got removed, typically ex colleagues or school people.

On Twitter the majority of shitty comments are usually from people with relatively anonymous accounts. That’s where I see a lot of toxicity.

• The toxicity of our city.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I think Twitter is easier for state actors to manipulate via troll farms, which is where a lot of the toxicity stems from. There’ll be some fascinating studies done on how social media changed over the first couple of weeks of the Russian invasion of Ukraine when all Russian activity on Twitter stopped for a while. Loads of things like Covid denialism and Brexit boosting dropped to almost nothing for a while.
  • The toxicity of our city.

Nice.
    SFV - reddave360
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    I think Twitter is easier for state actors to manipulate via troll farms, which is where a lot of the toxicity stems from. There’ll be some fascinating studies done on how social media changed over the first couple of weeks of the Russian invasion of Ukraine when all Russian activity on Twitter stopped for a while. Loads of things like Covid denialism and Brexit boosting dropped to almost nothing for a while.

My recent opinion on Twitter, is that (I think) it's undoubtedly a reflection of society. 
    3% of the world have too much, and are too greedy.

A smaller subset of that 3% is all the more selfish. And that in itself is an incredible idea to consider.

Twitter, I'd argue, is for the most part, only a conduit. But it's relative reach is alarming, tbf.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!