Social media and discussion - A Musky odour
  • Substack does seem like an echo chamber construction kit, and bad.
  • Substack is a kind of meta-publisher that does have a basic set of content guidelines, but doesn't presume to be able to responsibly filter content for their users based on some notion of Objective Truth, whatever the fuck that is. Instead they let the reader determine what may or may not be bollocks. That's what seems to be the case anyway, I wasn't really aware of what Substack was until just now.

It's just a mostly open platform for writers to have a platform to write about whatever, if people see it as an echo chamber then it's their own stupid fault for not reading more widely.

Anyway, aside from the source I thought the paragraph I quoted was something interesting to think about.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It’s some standard psychological observations which are then spun into both-sides bollocks when, particularly in the States, there’s a clear source of pernicious and damaging misinformation coming from one side in particular.
  • Substack’s just a place where people writing blogs or newsletters can charge subscription fees. Nothing fancier than that.

I don’t expect them to have editorial standards, just to police hosted content for illegality. I suppose it’s a sad state of affairs that I assume that base level of irresponsibility is endemic to online platforms/publishers across the board.
  • Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Yossarian wrote:
    It’s some standard psychological observations which are then spun into both-sides bollocks when, particularly in the States, there’s a clear source of pernicious and damaging misinformation coming from one side in particular.

Do you have a source for that claim? Not saying I believe/disbelieve that either way, but no 'side' is immune from stupidity, the use of intellectual dishonesty to advance a political aim, or just outright lying.

https://astralcodexten.substack.com/p/bounded-distrust

• hunk wrote:

Even if we take that on face value, the language in question is 'god damn'.

Americans are fucking insane.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:

Do you have a source for that claim? Not saying I believe/disbelieve that either way, but no 'side' is immune from stupidity, the use of intellectual dishonesty to advance a political aim, or just outright lying.

Do you really need sources for this? You haven’t noticed the Big Lie happening in America? The antivax sentiment among Republicans? All of the critical race theory nonsense that’s being thrown around out there? Or have you seen it but do you believe that there’s something equivalent on the other side? If so, what?
  • Yeah …

In recent years the American right managed to weaponise misinformation, across traditional and social media. They used methods tried and tested by the pro-Brexit campaign in the UK. If you haven’t seen that for yourself, and need a single cited source to verify it, I’m amazed.
  • hunk wrote:

Even if we take that on face value, the language in question is 'god damn'.

Americans are fucking insane.

Ikr?
    You're trying to teach children about war, human nature, genocidal tendencies and someone stumbles over a few curse words and some nudity.

But yeah, another prime example of conservatives controlling the media where it matters: education.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
  • A nude mouse, to be clear. And cursing at the severity level of ‘God-damn’.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’m not convinced that they were all truly objecting to the swearing or nudity.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:

Do you really need sources for this? You haven’t noticed the Big Lie happening in America? The antivax sentiment among Republicans? All of the critical race theory nonsense that’s being thrown around out there? Or have you seen it but do you believe that there’s something equivalent on the other side? If so, what?

I'm not asking for evidence of misdoings by Republicans or whatever, I'm quite aware. I'm asking if 'The Right' is the sole source of damaging misinformation, like if there's been an actual large scale survey of documented cases of misinformation and where they originated from. There's no subtext here, my point in asking is that if harmful misinformation isn't exclusive to one group then it gives weight to the quote on the previous page as something to think about in regards to discussions. And anyway regardless of the ground truth just using a Them and Us way of talking only leads to further polarization and distrust, which is the point of that quote.

Let's assume that you have discovered a method for accurately determining what is true and good, and what is false and harmful. Do you think an authoritarian control of content will actually make the world a better place? Because I very much doubt that it would, every time you remove a viewpoint from a common platform those speakers will just go somewhere where they are tolerated, and the people that wan't to hear those views go too, thus contributing to futher polarisation and radicalisation. This kind of information control also damages the people's trust, it's quite easy to see how young people especially would react badly to such top-down control of information.

I do think we need some basic standards, I guess it's where the line is drawn that we disagree on. I'm not against some kind of tool that people can use to check a source to see if it's considered reputable, and if it's not what the reasoning is so they can make up their own mind. That would actually be very useful.

I don't know what the endgame would be for authoritarian information control, but I really don't think it's going to be good. Ultimately the only good solution is to increase the numbers of discerning citizenry.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    So, firstly, yes, there’s more misinformation on the right and it gets higher engagement. This has been shown over and over again, but here’s one study.

https://medium.com/cybersecurity-for-democracy/far-right-news-sources-on-facebook-more-engaging-e04a01efae90

Secondly, deplatforming does reduce the reach of bad actors and makes the platforms safer for other users, with a possible knock on effect of people becoming more radicalised on alternative platforms.

https://seclab.bu.edu/people/gianluca/papers/deplatforming-websci2021.pdf
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I’m not convinced that they were all truly objecting to the swearing or nudity.

Holy shit, really?
  • In the west, the left has no money or resources hence their inevitable decline.
    In the west, the right have all the cash and resources to boot. They own all the media companies and if they don't they're planning on privatisation. I'm sure someone could write a reseaurch paper on the subject matter but the right would write it off as 'lefty biased research' dismissing it out of hand.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    This both sides shit has been debunked numerous times when it comes to misinformation, which frankly isn’t that surprising seeing as being left wing tends to correlate with higher levels of education.
  • @Yoss

Thanks. The first link indicates that it's not just a single nebulous group that is responsible for misinformation which is what I was trying to get at. The proportion of blame isn't really the point here, there's no such thing as a completely trustworthy source. What is and isn't considered possible truth / dangerous conspiracy often changes over time, see the lab leak hypothesis, heavy handed mainstream response and subsequent retraction and confusion just feeds the public's distrust of media.

https://www.bmj.com/content/374/bmj.n1656
    “It’s very clear at this time that the term ‘conspiracy theory’ is a useful term for defaming an idea you disagree with,” says Ebright, referring to scientists and journalists who have wielded the term. “They have been successful until recently in selling that narrative to many in the media.

https://medium.com/blackthorn77/the-lab-leak-hypothesis-an-agonizing-media-dilemma-about-managing-the-narrative-vs-d4cf75a6cd4c

We really shouldn't be wanting to empower further top-down control of information, because how do you define who is part of this deleterious outgroup? Whatever the definition currently is will creep and will be used by bad actors to further their agenda or maintain their power.

Your second link is about toxicity, not radicalisation. I'd be more interested in a paper about people deplatformed for conspiracy theories and/or non-mainstream narratives. I don't doubt that deplatforming probably works in the short term, but the problem lies in where the line is drawn for what is considered acceptable speech, and who is doing the drawing.

• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    “We really shouldn't be wanting to empower further top-down control of information, because how do you define who is part of this deleterious outgroup? Whatever the definition currently is will creep and will be used by bad actors to further their agenda or maintain their power.”

We effectively had this for centuries before social media without this slide that you’re concerned about. Why would it suddenly be an issue now?
  • It's always been a fucking issue. Modern tech makes free discussion easier which is why governments and other powerful groups would like to to limit it. The governments of various countries including the UK are attempting to limit end-to-end encryption, which is extremely fucking scary. As much as we've gained with modern communications we've also lost a huge amount of privacy, which means bad actors such as governments have more data on anyone which can be used to discredit, persecute and manipulate. If the powers-that-be own the media, are you really happy for them to have the tools to control the narrative?

This is very much not fine.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    There’s always been ways for other voices and counter-narratives to be heard, it’s just been a slightly higher barrier to entry which itself discouraged (but didn’t completely stop) disinformation.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    And I’ve no clue what encryption has to do with anything.
  • If the powers-that-be own the media, are you really happy for them to have the tools to control the narrative? This is very much not fine.

As Yoss just said …
    Yossarian wrote:
    We effectively had this for centuries before social media without this slide that you’re concerned about. Why would it suddenly be an issue now?
  • Are both of you deliberately not comprehending what I'm saying? Because it seems that way. I literally just said that they now have even more data to use against us. No encryption means a potential reduction in our ability to freely criticise without fear, amongst other things. And why the fuck does it matter that "oh it's always been like this"? How about you actually engage with the idea.

Let me help you out: Is there a good method for determining what qualifies as harmful misinformation/disinformation, either from a media organisation or something you can think of yourself? And could such a method be practically usable to responsibly police online content?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Previously we had publishers and editors who made those calls, and that mostly seemed to work.
  • Can an editor be reliably replaced by an algorithm?
    Who would program that algorithm? Can an algorithm be biased?
    Hmmm...
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Not based on current technology, no.
  • I think you’re tying yourself in philosophical knots, Gurt. There’s no such thing as pure, objective truth in reporting. Everything is mediated somehow. You’ve already nailed the only possible way to mitigate the results of that, which is education and media literacy for all. 

You seem to be asking for a discussion/argument about something that’s just part of the background scenery - censorship and policing are part of the media landscape, as is misinformation, as is bias, editorial policy, ethical standards, etc etc.

I dunno. I think your original point, based on your quote from the Substack team, was that in the presence of more and more opinion-based reporting trust in the traditionally ethical ‘fourth estate’ is eroded. Basically you’re acknowledging that people get more cynical when exposed to more nonsense.
  • Yes your first paragraph is exactly part of what I've been saying, and it directly relates to all the factors you mention in the second. I'd appreciate it if someone would actually engage with the premise as it's just a wee bit important and interesting to think about..
  • hunk wrote:
    Can an editor be reliably replaced by an algorithm? Who would program that algorithm? Can an algorithm be biased? Hmmm...

No, nerds, yes.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!