Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    I'm going to start a little treehouse for myself at some point as well. Just need to find a nice area for it.
  • Yeah I've gone down a deep hole and made a lovely little hobbit house under a massive oak in the meadow and can't stop refining it and fiddling with it! Spent hours in it. Some of the later game stuff looks crazy fun. Carving out roads for the cart to transport heavy stuff looks to be hilarious. The emergent possibilities with this game are never ending. Have you seen the boat flinging thing?? Bonkers.

I take it when I join the server I only bring what I'm carrying? Can I join the server when no one else is on? I'll get on it tonight I can't wait to get back to it.
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    Server should be up constantly and yes, you bring everything you're carrying.  People have been using this as a cheeky way to transport ores over long distances.

I think I'll be on tonight.  I usually get on for about 1930-2000.
    It's a goddamn snoozefest out there.
  • Valheim now sold 5 million copies jesus
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    That's €100,000,000 in sales revenue. Company is five-man strong. Nice pay for those guys!
  • Could this be 'the new Minecraft'? I wonder if the hype can be sustained.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Don't know if it has the scalability and wide reach of Minecraft. Can't see many kids getting into Valheim.
  • Hmm perhaps, though kids play Fortnite and do insane things with the building in that so I wouldn't put it past them.

The level of game complexity that kids are immersed in these days is way ahead of what we had to play with I guess.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Sorry I didn't mean it's too complex for them, I was more getting at the setting and design of it. Not sure it would appeal to the Twitch generation. But, I could be very wrong.
  • If they keep updating, refining and adding to it, it will be a monster. Doubtful Minecraft levels though.

Just jumped on for a quick blast waiting for the missus to finish work and I ran my battery on the laptop dead just exploring somewhere new. Just in that half hour I got embroiled in a grand adventure. I got isolated on a coastline mining for tin and a mega storm stirred up. I was then beset by a troll and a large group of greylings. I somehow managed to kill the troll with arrows kiting it around trees whilst it just smashed them like matchsticks and I was dodging falling trees in the lightning frantically trying to manage stamina and keep away from him.

Once I'd dispatched the last of the greylings, I hastily chopped wood to make a tiny shack on the beach to keep the weather out and I started a fire and cooked some meat and got some rest and sat out the storm till morning. The game is jam packed full of potential for player made fantasies. It's just brilliant. I'm gonna sink hundreds of hours into this.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Heh, some turn around from the other week. Knew you'd like it though :)
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    From this:
    Ah fuck I've had another go at this tonight but it ain't clicking at all. It's just a massive faff to get anything done. My laptop sounds as if it's gonna burst into flames at any second it's so fucking loud. I actually can't believe how loud it is - this can't be normal for gaming laptops surely?? I want to like Valheim but i feel like I'm playing a 20 year old game.

I don't think PC gaming is for me. It's been a massive chore so far I'm worn out from it. Gutted. Anyone in the market for a brand new gaming laptop?

To this:
    The Valheim Reddit is a thing to behold.

This game is a fucking miracle.

What a turn around, and glad to see it. I felt really disappointed for you when it seemed like you were really not getting on with pc gaming. Glad that it's clicking for you now and you're enjoying yourself so much.
  • The onboarding with the PC stuff was tough I'll admit. I'm so used to just picking a controller up and I'm off. I'm still having teething troubles with the laptop but in terms of interfacing with the games I'm pretty much there. Mouse and keyboard is a game changer. And it really did click. Almost overnight. Having this game to play is just icing on the cake. This game also takes some time to get into. Did not like the look of it at all but now I think it looks great. It's weird.

I can still see why PC gaming puts so many people off though. It's hardly an easy ride.

I wonder how this game would fare on consoles but I would love it to happen.

• I'll mention something that I discovered recently that I think might be useful to folks -

With Discord you can not only do voice chat but also stream your screen and watch other people's screen within a channel, if you have a dual or triple screen setup (very highly recommended for PC peeps) you can be playing a game on one screen and have a Discord chat and other info on another. You can stream only the application so you don't have to worry about leaking personal info, and it uses the GPU encoder by default so it's pretty lean on system resources.

I came across this when flying about in Flight Simulator with people on a Discord server, at first I wasn't keen to share my screen but I quickly realised how much sense it makes for cooperation and for laughs. People can more easily see what you are talking about and assist you - "that red button right there, push that one", and it makes messing around that much more fun when you can see their perspective and witness whatever crazy shit they're up to.

After recent experiences with this I'm quite sure that this is going to end up being the new way to experience multiplayer, particularly with coop/sim type games. It's just a good vibe, sort of like a LAN session where you can look over at your friend's screen. It's been a revelation with Flight Sim, I always stream my screen when playing that now, people will drop in and out to join or just watch whatever mad shit we are up to and have a chat.

I haven't checked but I presume we can video stream in the voice channels in the B&B Discord channel. I recommend trying it out, it makes for a much less isolated experience.
  • Cheers Haak and Subba for the little multiplayer foray.

I lost everything.

Everything.
  • I'm a little blown away by how brutal that is. The hours I put into making all that gear.

Gone.
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii
    U: Birdorf, 3DS: 4382 3173 0928

Send message
    Catching up on the last couple of pages and I might have taken the plunge if it wasn't for the last two posts! Oof.
  • Yeah pretty savage. I can't get back to it as I just get one shot by mosquitoes. About 20 hours worth of upgraded gear sat somewhere in the wilderness. Also, when I spawn back in my own world I'm totally naked with no weapons, food or armour - in the black forest. About ten miles from home. What a game this is.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Can someone else get your gear for you, or do you have to do it yourself? Same thing happened to me in a burial chamber with a bunch of skeletons that were way too strong for me. I eventually got it back by inching it back to the entrance over multiple attempts.
  • Yeah others can retrieve it. Trouble is I don't know where it is. If you die again elsewhere you lose the corpse marker for the death before. I've now got about a mile square radius to search - in the plains. FML.
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    Welcome to Valheim.

Go through the Marsh portal and check the box by the far bed.  I think I left my lvl3 bronze coat in there.  Just grab anything really, I'm sure no-one will mind.  I'm going to be building my cabin for the next few sessions so will be back onto raiding soon.

P.s great to chat after so long!
  • Likewise mate. Yeah I feel it might be a lost cause even trying to get that shit back but I'm up for having another pop at it. Maybe with some help it's doable. I love the fact that it's a persistent world and I assume my gear will just sit there until someone comes across it again or the rain rots it all away. The idea of old relics long forgotten a year down the line on the server is intriguing...
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    I'll mention something that I discovered recently that I think might be useful to folks - With Discord you can not only do voice chat but also stream your screen and watch other people's screen within a channel, if you have a dual or triple screen setup (very highly recommended for PC peeps) you can be playing a game on one screen and have a Discord chat and other info on another. You can stream only the application so you don't have to worry about leaking personal info, and it uses the GPU encoder by default so it's pretty lean on system resources. I came across this when flying about in Flight Simulator with people on a Discord server, at first I wasn't keen to share my screen but I quickly realised how much sense it makes for cooperation and for laughs. People can more easily see what you are talking about and assist you - "that red button right there, push that one", and it makes messing around that much more fun when you can see their perspective and witness whatever crazy shit they're up to. After recent experiences with this I'm quite sure that this is going to end up being the new way to experience multiplayer, particularly with coop/sim type games. It's just a good vibe, sort of like a LAN session where you can look over at your friend's screen. It's been a revelation with Flight Sim, I always stream my screen when playing that now, people will drop in and out to join or just watch whatever mad shit we are up to and have a chat. I haven't checked but I presume we can video stream in the voice channels in the B&B Discord channel. I recommend trying it out, it makes for a much less isolated experience.

Yes I noticed this recently. Actually we used it last night so I could direct Chalice with his setup queries on Discord. A real aid this and I think you're right, could factor into new multiplayer trends big time!

@Chalice,

Did you mark your first corpse? I'll try and get you gear later mate. Sorry about going so quite towards the end last night, the little fella woke and I was strictly told to shut the fuck up :P
  • Ha ha no it's fine mate I guessed as much. I didn't mark it no as I thought the skull and crossbones stayed on the map!!! I know vaguely the general area as that part of the map is unexplored for me. I'll have another look later and ping it if you're about.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    They need to increase the number of birds around. Trying to make arrows for ages, not a bird in sight.
  • I seem to get loads of feathers from somewhere other than birds??
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    You get some from chopping trees and seagulls seem fairly regular near the shores.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Stuck behind some stairs in a tower. Can't get out. Can't break up the stairs as there is no workbench. Dunno what to do now.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!