The 3DS Thread
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    Soul Bubbles was absolutely great. One of the most underrated games I've played.

Everything I read about Soul Bubbles said it was excellent...
  • Nana gave me a copy of Soul Bubbles but I can't find it :(

I've got a few DS carts knocking around that kazou chucked in when I bought his DS though, could send those on for the price of postage (not trusting Barry this time).  There's a Pokemon, a Monkey Ball and a couple of others, they weren't much of a hit in the moot house unfortunately - the console has mainly been used for GBA games and Space Invaders.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    AJ wrote:
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    Soul Bubbles was absolutely great. One of the most underrated games I've played.

Everything I read about Soul Bubbles said it was excellent...

It only has a Metascore of 78 - should have been well into the 80s at the very, very least.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • What are the chances?!  Was out in the garden with the boy and one of those bubble wand things this aft, made me think of that game.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    It only has a Metascore of 78 - should have been well into the 80s at the very, very least.

Wow, that's surprising. Lotta people with no taste out there, evidently. I can't remember whether I liked it or not, might have to download it again.
  • I've got a flash cart.
  • I meant the no taste comment for a game you're not sure you liked.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Don't know anything about Soul Bubbles, but a Gamestop near B's work has a cartridge in stock for $2,99. Will check that tomorrow and see what they have Lego wise.

@Moot, I might take you up on that, you're okay with sending to the US then? I'll of course pay for postage and envelope.

I'll have the 3DS Mario for him, and I know he plays Mario Kart on my mother in law's 3DS (it's the only game he can play as the down button doesn't work anymore). Most of my DS games are still in NL, so is the flash card.
  • Yep, I'll dig them out.  Loose carts though, but good to play.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I meant the no taste comment for a game you're not sure you liked.

As I said, everything I'd read about it was really positive; I don't like lots of good games.
  • Nina wrote:
    Most of my DS games are still in NL, so is the flash card.

Much to my annoyance, you can't use them on the 3DS.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    One less thing to be annoyed by then!

@Moot, yeah loose carts is fine. I kinda given up the idea of buying second hand cartridge games cib. The price difference is just too much.

Am scrolling through the Gamestop second hand DS pages, what a load of crap has been released on that system... And pricing is weird, $24,99 for Cars? Doesn't mention anything about cart only, but I do know Gamestop usually throws away boxes to safe on space.

What's the most fun Kirby on the system?
  • I'm gonna do that annoying thing where people answer a direct question with an alternative suggestion, but The Legendary Starfy would scratch a Kirby itch, there's no PAL version so it might not be megacheap though.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Pretty sure that it's cheaper than Cars, I had that on a watch list already. Think it's around $10 so not too bad. I'll have a look tomorrow at Gamestop.
  • Nina wrote:
    Does anyone know any good DS games for a 7 year old (and maybe also fun for me)? Nephew is coming over, and while B did promise him he could take the switch with him on trips, I don't have an extra charger for it / don't want to disconnect the dock etc. Can't pick up 3DS games here thanks to region lock, but DS ones work and are cheaper anyway. In drawing a complete blank now, I do have a bubble bobble, ghost trick and Dragon Quest IX here, but I need something not text heavy. He only knows a couple of English words. (I got Mario 3D World, Woolly Yoshi and Zelda OoT installed on my 3DS that he might enjoy, I just want some backup options and the possibility of a lie in in the morning)

What about Sonic Colours?

As for Kirby, tried Kirby Mass Attack?
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I really shouldn't go to game stores on my own. Didn't have any problems not buying anything I didn't need at ikea, but Gamestop and a retro shop were a challenge.

I got Soul Bubbles (cart) and Puzzle Quest (complete, I liked this one on 360, been looking for something like this and it was only $2,99) but I also returned with Mario vs Donkey Kong 2, and I didn't realize the original on gba is supposed to be the better one. It's complete, but I'm thinking of returning that one as it was more than I wanted to spend. I got 7 days to return so I will at least try it.

Retro game shop luckily stores their handheld games in the front of the store, so all were sun faded. Easier to resist that way (but I did spot the Dr Mario / Panel de Pon gba box in the back, not sure if the manual was there but I might return for that one. Love Panel de Pon).

Lego games, Sonic and Kirby were all over $15,- and that's a bit too much now. I'll play a Kirby, but the others would just be for a couple hours entertainment for two weeks. Starfy was sun faded and looked chewed on, preferred to leave that one locked behind glass for now. Pricing is so odd here, cartridge / cib or bad shape doesn't seem to influence price at all, it's just one price for a title and that's it. Almost feel like it's better to keep an eye on eBay.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Love me some Puzzle Quest.
    Get schwifty.
  • I spent half my life on Puzzle Quest at the time - massive time sink.

The other time sink I would recommend (but not for a youngster) is Bangai-O Spirits. I can still play it for a couple of hours now.
  • I couldn't get on with the slowdown on Bangai-O Spirits, hanging my head in shame over here.  DC game is top 20 for me.
  • Oh yes, the slowdown was awe inspiring at times, not just during EX mega counter attacks (when it doesn't matter so much). 

I preferred this game to the DC version (played it after Spirits) and the later 360 game.
  • Fond memories of Puzzle Quest on XBLA. Was one those early ones wasn’t it that showcased what XBLA could be all about.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I have Bangai-O Spirits somewhere, only tested the cartridge. Bought it along with bubble bobble, and that got all the attention.

Puzzle Quest was a massive time sink on 360, feels a bit slow on 3DS, but we'll see how it goes. It's still a solid game.

Mario vs Donkey Kong 2 seems fun, gonna track down the first one when I get a GBA again, it's supposed to be the better one. More platformer and less Lemmings. Now I've never played Lemmings so I'll take this version of it. Only did the first 3 levels, I can see reaction being a bit slow (not sure if that's touch screen related or just bad programming) but it's fun. I'm probably gonna fail quite miserably pretty quickly.

Did the Soul Bubbles tutorial and that was actually loads of fun. Game crashed during the third level but thanks for autosaves.
  • Get warioware diy. It basically has a music and drawing app if you want to just have that for the kiddo.

But more fun it’s great for making stupid games to amuse yourself with.
  • Fuck knows how nobody's remembered to mention Rhythm Heaven yet.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Stop mentioning games. Ebay is a dangerous place!

I actually do have Rhythm Heaven Megamix on my 3DS installed, so he can play that one. The DS version is in NL.

Wario Ware might be tempting, they go for around a tenner on Ebay.... And I'm not sure if I own this one or Touched! Fairly sure it's Touched! but my memory sucks.

Pretty sure we got enough entertainment for him now, can always pick up a switch car charger if he doesn't dig any of the DS/3DS stuff. Also saw the Drawn to Life and Scribblenauts cartridges, would probably be fun for him as well but he doesn't need a new game to play each day.

Handhelds really are my weakspot, I just love them and there's so much fun stuff released on them that are good for 15 minutes of fun.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    eShop versions of 7th Dragon III, Etrian Odyssey V and SMT IV Apocalypse are 50% off and Radiant Historia is 20% off until 3 May.
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    SMT IV Apocalypse are 50% off

Damn, a 2nd hand copy that cost me 40 notes only landed on my doormat yesterday. Been after a cib for a while so all good, but that price may off took it off my hunt list, may off....

In other news, finding Radiant a slog. Tis my own fault for juggling it with Ni No Kuni 2. Slowly getting through both games due to a lack of free time & tbh, neither has really sunk its hook in after the high that was XC2. Finding Kuni easier to bookmark & pick up over Radiant due to the Historia time gimmick. I switch the fecker on & struggle to remember what my next objective was, but my age could be a playing a part in that.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Nintendo have said they plan to release 3DS games "in 2019 and beyond", so a good chance we'll still be getting games even in 2020.
  • Fine by me, next SMT has been on pre-order for a while & I will be having a slice of Wario when it launches. Nowhere near done with my 3DS atm due to having a massive jrpg backlog to clear on the system.

I think my FE: Fates 3DS is probably my favourite bit of gaming kit I have ever owned. I do get bit Gollum/precious with it every time I take it out of the pouch as I spend a few moment ogling it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!