The 3DS Thread
  • Do they use regular USB chargers? Lots of people have no charger.
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • Yeah chargers are like £5 on Amazon though so no biggie.

I just don’t want one thats been used is my problem.

Mind you does game and cex stuff have a 12 month warranty or 3?
    PSN - minkymu
  • I'm selling an OG 3DS if anyone's interested. Got half a dozen games and some stuff on the system. Can't do dirt cheap because I'm only selling this stuff to fund...other stuff, but I'd definitely slice some ££s off the going rate for a badger.
  • What colour etc?
    PSN - minkymu
  • Just remembered I'm supposed to be looking at prices for djornson, he'll have first refusal. I'm crap at selling stuff. Info is two pages back in the selling thread.
  • Haha, I was waiting for Minky to ask all the questions and see how that panned out. I'll wait patiently third in queue so! :D
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • Packed up and ready to go, selling to Hodge as djornson passed it up and Minky wanted a new one, plus he kindly offered me a bit more than I was asking.  

No regrets parting with it, but much happysadness.  Was looking through my stats last night - 110hrs on Mario Golf, 140ish-hrs of Fire Embleming in total.  Was also my Steamworld Heist machine, which I loved, and my Shovel Knight console for the main quest and first two rounds of DLC.  Big shout for the under-appreciated Azure striker Gunvolt games too, I reckon they might be worth a look for some (@Eric).  BoxBoy is a gem of a series too.    

I've had my fun and I'm done with it, but what fun it was.  I got so little from the DS I might as well not have bothered, but I bought a 3DS on a whim a couple of years after launch (had a hankering for Lylatt Wars iirc) and it rekindled my interest in contemporary handheld gaming.  From there I went big on the Vita as my indie heaven/'portable XBLA' machine and the Switch is basically a Vita mk.II with Nintendo stuff on top.  Love them handhelds.
  • 3DS is my favourite handheld.

Hmm, top 5 handhelds...

1. 3DS
    2. Game Boy
    3. DS
    4. PSP
    5. GBA
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Apart from when I'm playing co-op the Switch is a handheld as far as I'm concerned, which puts it well ahead of the chasing pack (the closest being the GBA), with the Vita and 3DS holding hands for third.  Then it's such a big drop to 5th it's not even worth considering.
  • I’m playing my vita again these days, I think I prefer it as a handheld compared to the switch... more robust, I don’t worry about the sticks going, and it’s the perfect size to carry about.

Been playing through trails of a cold steel 2 (as I now have 3&4 on switch) which I really like. Need to make sure I get some stuff before the store goes. I wanted danganronpa but can’t find them on the store anymore, and trails in the sky 1&2 (...part one is also missing now it seems).

Sigh it’s almost like they want me to jail break this stuff...
  • Vita has ridiculous amount of top quality games available on PSN.   Even its imminent death rattle is world class.

• 3DS is my favourite handheld. Hmm, top 5 handhelds... 1. 3DS 2. Game Boy 3. DS 4. PSP 5. GBA

I think your list is pretty fair, mine would be 

1) 3DS
    2) DSLite
    3) GBA
    4) GB
    5) GB Micro

The GB would fair higher but i didn't get one until i was much older - not at the time.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • I think I want to elaborate on that post. 

1) 3ds - I rarely used the 3d but the range of games was excellent, the quality of the graphics on the machine was really top tier and the sound was also way better than any other nintendo handhelf. A real leap in quality. The build quality was strong and i loved the natural online nature of it. Everything from online mk7 to streetpass. I remember fondly going to hamleys on oxford street and streetpassing with all of the demo machines on a weekly basis. Sad but i've no regrets. 

2) DSLite - this iteration of the DS was so so polished. The form factor has never really been matched by anything else (even the GBA SP). The range and diversity of games on the DSL was also wider than the DS (for a long time at least). I carried it absolutely everywhere, local DS meetup's where we would sit in a pub and play local mulitplayer - good times.

3) GBA - i think this is mainly here because of Fire Emblem and Advance Wars, this system got me into both games in a big way. Secred Stone and Black Hole Rising? I'd never ever really be into anything turn based in gaming and it really honed in with my love of chess. 

4) I was late to the party with this but as someone who loves tetris as much as i do this is the grandaddy of them all. I have some really great memories playing boxxle and mario land in my early teens when I got given a broken gameboy (back was off) for a 5er in the playground. Used to eat batteries though. 

5) brilliant machine but mainly because the screen was so good and it looked so nice. Always my favourite form factor of the gba. Everyone always goes on about the clam shell but i like the snes pad layout and feel of the original and then the mirco more. If the original GBA had a proper screen (which you can mod now with ips screens etc) then it becomes the best version for me.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Whilst we're talking about HW iterations, I really liked the Game Boy Pocket. I remember picking it up for £45 from EB in late 96.

It really gave the system a second lease of life for me. It was a huge improvement with minimal screen blur and an actual b&w display instead of the odd green of the OG model.

I sold it in the early 00s so I can't speak for the screen quality now, but I honestly remember it being clearer and easier on the eyes than the GBC and original GBA.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • What's the top 5 3DS games for someone coming new to the system??
  • I think the only 3DS game I’ve played is the one I bought with the system. Mario 3D Land. In the conversation for one of the best 3D Marios imo. Quite a few others sitting on the pile of shame. Used it lots for emulation and been recently using it for ‘native’ GBA games.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Fire Emblem: Awakening
    Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
    Super Mario 3D Land
    Pullblox
    Pokemon

Picross 3D: Round 2 is also worth checking out, as is Luigi's Mansion 2, Kid Icarus Uprising and the Boxboy series.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I'd be wary of buying any Zelda games right now as the anniversary announcements are round the corner. Super Mario 3D Land is perhaps my number 1 recommendation BUT I wouldn't rule out Nintendo announcing further Mario re-releases for Switch quite soon.
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    Fire Emblem: Awakening Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds Super Mario 3D Land Pullblox Pokemon Picross 3D: Round 2 is also worth checking out, as is Luigi's Mansion 2, Kid Icarus Uprising and the Boxboy series.

good list but also 

Animal Crossing (not as good as switch version but still great) 
    Mario Maker
    Zelda a link between worlds
    Mariokart 7
  • Hodge360 wrote:
    What's the top 5 3DS games for someone coming new to the system??

Top 5 exclusives for me would be

Fire Emblem Awakening
    Mario Golf
    Mario 3D Land
    A Link Between Worlds
    BOXBOY
  • It's the best Luigi's Mansion too, imo.
  • yes, the luigi's mansion is cracking. 

Stay clear of papermario.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I would go -

Mario 3D Land
    ALBW
    Fire Emblem Awakening
    Bravely Default
    Picross 3D Round 2
  • Mario 3d land
    Super mario maker
    Mario kart
    Pilot wings
    Luigis mansion 2
    PSN - minkymu
  • regmcfly wrote:
    I would go -

Mario 3D Land
    ALBW
    Fire Emblem Awakening
    Bravely Default
    Picross 3D Round 2

This guy gets it.

Would swap Mario (sorry, didn’t play it!) for Persona Q or an etrian odyssey, mainly because I can’t ever see those games transferring to any other system very well.
  • Dragon Quest VII
    Dragon Quest VIII
    Mario 3D Land
    Boxboy
    Picross
  • But really you just need DQ7, that’ll see you for a couple of hundred hours.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I would get VII over VIII just cos, again, it's DQ anniversary time and a HD remaster of VIII would be a relatively easy release for them. Don't see them touching VII in a while.
  • VII is an absolute beast and I adore it. I know 8 is the critical / public darling but, I dunno, something just feels a little off about it to me. But 7, 7 is just amazing and unfolds at such a lovely pace, even if it is very, very, very, very long.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!