• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Genuine, non trolling question, as I've only just caught up with this thread - do Microsoft have any big games from their own studios coming this year? Or is it going to be yo let's pay to get this shit on GP day one.

The latter is absolutely fine with me.

Nothing announced, Forza Motorsport rumoured, possibly some other surprises at the showcase next month, perhaps?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    STALKER 2 sticks in my craw a badun. I've got the icon on my xbox ready to go WHENEVER THEY WANT TO DROP IT
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:
    Genuine, non trolling question, as I've only just caught up with this thread - do Microsoft have any big games from their own studios coming this year? Or is it going to be yo let's pay to get this shit on GP day one.

Nothing announced, Forza Motorsport rumoured, possibly some other surprises at the showcase next month, perhaps?

The Activision merger is still too nascent and incomplete to go COD. Would they have the stones to ask EA if Sports FC goes day one Gamepass? Otherwise they're a bit rooked come this Christmas for compelling reasons for new adopters.

Alternatively, time to go rummaging through the back catalogue and get remastering....
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:

The Activision merger is still too nascent and incomplete to go COD. Would they have the stones to ask EA if Sports FC goes day one Gamepass?

Honestly, that would make a lot of sense for EA too seeing as they need to make people aware of the name change, although I think that EA are sticking with FIFA for one more year, not least because they want the rights to the World Cup.
  • There’s still e3. I can imagine Microsoft doing some sort of CoD sop.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    It's still tied to Sony for this year afaik and Microsoft said they would honour existing deals.
  • Lads, the new fifa later this year from EA will still be Fifa 23. EAFC is gonna be next year's.
  • There’s an interesting article at eurogamer about ea fc and ganeoass
    The Forum Herald™
  • regmcfly wrote:
    STALKER 2 sticks in my craw a badun. I've got the icon on my xbox ready to go WHENEVER THEY WANT TO DROP IT

But Reg, real war 'n' stuff, right?

It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yeah I know, I know. Just never thought we'd see a STALKER 2, and it has probably been my most anticipated title since announced.
  • top tip for lowering expectations: take the r out the title. now it sound like some gammon town in the home counties.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I got my GPU sub on the cheap, but since I've only played Golf Club 2, A Plague Tale and Forza Horizon 5 through it, I've actually paid retail for those.

So even though I recognise my deal was a very good one, this is why I argue it has subjective value and shouldn't be a total replacement in future. Occasional gamers don't want forcing into a sub for the odd game.

I'm also annoyed there's no multiplayer-only option, now belonging to forced bundles we hate console-sellers for hawking. I'm definitely feeling this is my last console gen, after losing so much of their former appeal versus PCs.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Microsoft make a ton of money through game sales, both their own and others made on their platform. It doesn’t seem likely to me that they’re looking to cut that off any time soon.
  • So no voice for
    Your character in starfield.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    That's your major talking point from the reveal, is it?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Vapourvoice.
  • It does feel like this game has somehow garnered unwarranted hype. It looked okay, but not like it was in anyway special or different. I didn’t see it and immediately say “wow, I have to play this”. It was more “they made a Fallout in space, and dropped some Destiny and No Man’s Sky in there too”. It was weird one to finish the show on, but that comes back to my comment about unwarranted hype.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I think there are just a lot of people out there who really love Bethesda games.
  • That's your major talking point from the reveal, is it?

Er.. I didn’t watch the reveal Paul.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    But it's still your major talking point from the reveal, is it?
  • It’s just a new story Paul.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    And it's the only one you've seen? Mad, that
  • Anyhoo... here are my hot takeaways from the gameplay reveal:

The 'facial tech' behind the NPC's grimaces is still risible. That first female NPC the player talks to in particular was on a par with dialogue encounters...in Oblivion. And depressingly NPCs looked like the very worse that Mass Effect Andromeda gave birth to. My face is tired indeed.

Gunfights / combat looked pretty underwhelming too. But that's typical of all Bethesda releases, so no change there then either. Curiously, in-flight space combat looked better than the footsoldier stuff, like something out of The Expanse, almost.

Now onto the good stuff: settlement building makes a return. Now although I had a mixed experience with the latter in Fallout 4 (it was always a fiddly experience, like trying to play snooker with a length of rope) the settlement system never got true credit for what it actually achieved - which was connecting the player to the world like no other RPG had done before. Need to build a hut to store your loot? - go and kill these bandits over there then and scrap their weapons and armour for vital building materials. Or delve deep into those ruins to extract scrap and ancient artifacts needed to to build that power generator you need. It was a brilliant way to get the player invested in the world around him, it was just sloppily implemented.

It was only fiddly because it lacked a bird's eye view mode when building stuff - but they've implemented that in Starfield and and that's a dream come true! And just like FO4's settlement building, it will no doubt be entirely optional.

I take Todd's promise of 1000 explorable planets with a a hefty slice of moon cheese. I've no doubt the majority of them will be nondescript balls of ice or identical gas giants - but there was a pleasing amount of biomes on display. If they can balance these procedurally generated rocks with enough handcrafted areas then it could be a galaxy worth exploring.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I watched all of this last night, pretty good look at the reveal and a good balance of things to be excited about and things to keep your feet on the ground:

• Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Cohh is a don
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Looks good, has the potential to be great. Will wait and see I guess. We've been here many a time before.
  • Cohh is a don

Yeah, he’s a cool guy. Had to stop the vid when he started arguing that Bethesda games are buggy because they’re ambitious and “shoot for the moon” though - that’s demonstrably not true.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Surely in this one, shooting for the moon is demonstrably true.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!