Metroid Dread - A new 2D Metroid Pew Pew
  • The missile+ tank in top left took me ages just now. You have to be pixel perfect and fast.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Sounds like Super Metroid may now have a rival for speedrunning. I'm not biting though - I loved Super Metroid but I know I'd abandon this.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    If anyone wants my copy before I put it on Schpock let me know and I’ll do badgers rates.

Hello what we talking?
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    £20+ postage?
  • b0r1s wrote:
    £20+ postage?

Sounds good mate, I shall DM
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Enjoying this in my Oled - pops quite lovely. I've not played enough to make any detailed comments about systems or atmosphere yet.
  • I have a few issues with this but nothing that would prevent it being a [9] at this stage. Monster's Expedition is unlikely to be topped as my GotY so Dread claims second place as it stands. Comfortably superior to all other Metroid games I've played (although my opinion on Prime doesn't count as I only dabbled - couldn't get on with games like that at the time).
  • I’m loving exploring and collecting items. THIS is Metroid.
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/questornz/

Send message
    Finished this last night, 9 and a half hours, just over 70% items. 
    Did think about going for 100% items but some of the shinespark tricks you have to do I just can't be bothered to fuck around with, not right now anyway.
  • 100%! Woohoo! Now for that last boss.
  • Had to look up how to do that last one. Did they really expect me to figure out that the shinespark can do that?!
  • not sure how I feel about this, the second half has felt like a grind after loving the first 3 or so hours
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • So I just died on the last boss mainly because of dropped inputs.
  • As with all the mainline Nintendo franchises I’m not sure if I’m giving this a little too much goodwill. It’s a fine game and the world certainly improves from the early levels of metal tunnel to different coloured metal tunnel, but I just don’t know if it’s really any different to all those clones out there. It clearly has a bigger budget than its contemporaries, it’s all fairly slick, and it is a GOOD GAME but I don’t know if it’s much more than that. It’s fine and I’m enjoying my time with it but I’ve a nagging feeling that at its core it’s no better than the hordes of imitators I’ve played over the last five years or so. I also think it follows its own formula almost too strictly, the weight of tradition pulling it down into reallyson? territory.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    So I just died on the last boss mainly because of dropped inputs.

A likely story
  • Finished it, have you?
  • As with all the mainline Nintendo franchises I’m not sure if I’m giving this a little too much goodwill. It’s a fine game and the world certainly improves from the early levels of metal tunnel to different coloured metal tunnel, but I just don’t know if it’s really any different to all those clones out there. It clearly has a bigger budget than its contemporaries, it’s all fairly slick, and it is a GOOD GAME but I don’t know if it’s much more than that. It’s fine and I’m enjoying my time with it but I’ve a nagging feeling that at its core it’s no better than the hordes of imitators I’ve played over the last five years or so. I also think it follows its own formula almost too strictly, the weight of tradition pulling it down into reallyson? territory.
    So much this, once the sheen wears off (couple of hours in) I am not sure there's anything special although the boss fights are generally good.
    Still Hollow Knight rules the genre for me

• Done! 16hrs, 100%.
  • It's nowhere near Hollow Knight but nothing in the genre is really. For me it's sitting behind the Ori's, maybe level with some other personal favourites like Blasphemous and Monster Boy in the Cursed Kingdom, which still puts it as one of my favourite games of the past few years. Glad I bought it, was planning to hold off for a while. GOOD GAME is usually enough for me, but this rounds up to GREAT imo. Fusion was GOOD, Zero Mission was PRETTY GOOD and I think I missed the boat with Super, felt too treacley whereas Samus is a joy to control in this.
  • I don't know if I'd class monster boy as a metroidvania. Still need to try Blasphemous.

Metroid Dread is merely decent. Definitely not stunning.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Nah, it's pretty damn good.
  • It's barely comparable to Hollow Knight anyway. This is about tight, intricate level design, more even than previous Metroid games, to a degree that no other Metroidvania has really managed. The complexity of the move set and the way the environments are made to accommodate it and test your abilities is well beyond Ori, HK etc. 

But it still suffers like many 'modern' Metroid games in no really knowing what else to do with itself. The EMMI are another fumbled effort at a unique feature, and the atmosphere is lacking. It's also double or more the price of most Metroidvania games, and because of that should be doing more.

It's settled at 8/10 for me. The core of it is spot on, but the peripheral stuff is underdeveloped.
  • JonB wrote:
    It's barely comparable to Hollow Knight anyway. This is about tight, intricate level design, more even than previous Metroid games, to a degree that no other Metroidvania has really managed. The complexity of the move set and the way the environments are made to accommodate it and test your abilities is well beyond Ori, HK etc.  But it still suffers like many 'modern' Metroid games in no really knowing what else to do with itself. The EMMI are another fumbled effort at a unique feature, and the atmosphere is lacking. It's also double or more the price of most Metroidvania games, and because of that should be doing more. It's settled at 8/10 for me. The core of it is spot on, but the peripheral stuff is underdeveloped.
    Mostly agree but not sure “intricate level design” is a differentiator between metroid dread and hk

• There's not enough room in the game for Samus's abilities to truly shine. It's all so hemmed in and restricted. I remember the feeling I had in Super when you get that dash and you go to the surface and there seemed like a bunch of different ways to go. In Dread it's so focused that you only ever really use your new skills to get missile pods and energy tanks. I'm not a lover of the funnelling.
  • I'm enjoying the way it slaps new abilities on you at every turn, very build-a-baddass and nicely streamlined. I don't really want an epic Metroid as my interest would wane so 7-8hrs to mainline and double that to 100% is perfect for my tastes. Hollow Knight is the only Metroidvania capable of sustaining interest for thirty-something hours imo (although tbh I've probably played less that ten 30+hr games ever).
  • It’s certainly no Super Metroid.
  • Credits rolling. Did not expect a Metroid game to have some of the best 2D bosses in the business.
  • Also just finished. I really liked the boss fights, and the final few were really good at being quite hard, but not frustrating.

I loved it as a whole, but completely agree with chalice, it feels really restricted and I also missed having big, quiet, open areas to mess about in. It all felt quite samey till the end.

I think it would be unfair of me to compare it to HK because I don’t think even silksong will be as good as that game. That’s one of the best games I’ve ever played, period.
  • Yeah, if Silksong's as good as HK I'll eat all the hats.
  • Need help:
    Spoiler:

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!