Metroid Dread - A new 2D Metroid Pew Pew
  • I enjoyed haak's story. I bought Prime and tried to get into it but I just wasn't into exploration in games at all at that point. Might try the remaster.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Metroid Prime came out when I was in first year halls at uni and I had an American GameCube so it cost me £60 from GForce (rip].

Our halls was a Pro Evo hall all the way through, and the only time I ever saw people crowd round the TV for another game aside from the Friday night Monkey Target gambling was MP. I can't say I cleared it all myself as we did pass the pad between the 5 (actually 10 as next door came in too) of us.

Only other time I had anything close was in 2004 when I was living with 2 girls who I only tangentially knew through our courses and they watched me play the entirety of Resi 4. It became a nightly thing.
  • Gotta be a dev around long enough to cross those eras, so imagine most will be Ninty - Zelda, Metroid, Mario.
    Syph79 wrote:
    Interesting that Nintendo have a better pedigree for this.

Thing is, before PlayStation who were the Big developers apart from Nintendo...

Sega had some superb 3D games but everyone I can think of was a new IP outside of Sonic. For better or worse they literally gave up on their 2D IPs.

Konami were one of the best in the 80s and 90s but they fumbled most of their 3D update efforts. Metal Gear is the stand out but it wasn't exactly a great game/IP in its 2D days, especially in the West.

Capcom, Mega Man Legends has its fans but it didn't exactly set the world alight. They were content with 2D Street Fighter and once Resident Evil hit they had a new cash cow.

Square is an odd one. Sure FFVII and the like were technically 3D, but the gameplay, if you can call it that, didn't exactly change with it. The improvements there was strictly the storage medium enabling better story telling.

Who else was there???

EA - if so do we count their sports games?

Namco - the PS era for them was more of a second coming after Pac-Man. Again, almost all new IP.

Rare - can't think of anything other than Donkey Kong for them that was a 3D update, and it wasn't well loved.

So, yeah mainly Nintendo... I guess.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Was Maximo any good? One of a few PS2 games I regret missing. Along with Shinobi come to think of it.
  • I liked it, bit underrated I reckon.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!