Deals of the Day
  • Vinyl is huge among da yoof. Especially those who go to live music, as artists often do special edition stuff at gigs.
  • Or people who really like music ? It is a better sound
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Vinyl is huge among da yoof.

I've trouble not imagining hipsters as summer-life-crisis men feeling pushed towards the wrong side of 30 in fear. Not yer teens and 20-somethings. Disposable-income menchildren who'll buy any old shit if it inflates their anti-maturity bubble for another few years.

And actual music fans, but they're not cool.
  • The popularity of vinyl at the moment is so weird that I wouldn't use it as a barometer of physical game collecting surviving into an era of downloadable games. Very different mediums, type of objects, producers and consumers as well.
  • I started getting vinyl at 16, and see more young people than older on Berwick st etc. If you like music it's nicer to have a big album sleeve, notes and something physical to put on start to finish.

Audiophiles still a part of it, but a lot of records these days are pressed from the MP3s and majority don't seem to mind. Think it's nice that people still want to collect and get more involved with their hobbies.

Prime example is neo geo games, which have been emulated for so many years but the original games still hold a high value. Garou mark of the worvs is still big money and it's on everything.
  • Used to DJ and buy tonnes of vinyl in the 90s. Fucking weird to see double LPs being sold in Sainsbury's these days :-/ A lot seem to be nice 180g versions as well.
  • Most new vinyl in shops anyway is pisstake prices. Quite a few decent sites for it though.
  • For de yoof I would put vinyl almost into the merchandise area of sales.
    I would imagine most will already have the album digital before buying the vinyl and probably have a much larger digital library than physical.
    People do crave for something physical to cherish when it is something they are passionate about though. Having that physical copy makes people feel part of something, more committed and closer to the artist whereas a digital copy can feel transient, unreal or cheap, a lot of retail psychology going on with this stuff.
  • From the cover stickers of the supermarket LPs I saw, a lot (most?) of them came with download codes for the digital album as well. But yeah, they all seemed to be classic albums like yer old Oasis and Floyd and whatnot so we'll have already bought them in all the formats already.
  • Actually, they probably don't already have it digital. Most these days come with a download code. They buy the vinyl, redeem the code and listen to that, and look at the sleeve.
  • Vinyl sales are tiny. 3m lp sales vs 50bn streams.

I still maintain only hipster twats (and DJs) buy vinyl.
  • I have bought three or four albums on vinyl in the last couple of years. Put me in the category that livdiv just described.
  • Have you played them? Why vinyl instead of CD?
  • No point in attacking Andy over it.
    They are just nice to have things really. As if no one has trinkets etc.
  • I own three, because I intended to put them on the wall at one point.  One of those is an album I don't like, so I'm being that that guy.  

Why couldn't a band called Fall of Efrafa that released albums called Owsla, Elil and Inle be a wispy folk act?

8c604309af9bffa808cdc579937d5e32.jpg
  • WorKid wrote:
    Have you played them? Why vinyl instead of CD?
    It'll probably make you laugh at or hate me when I tell you that I don't have the facility to play either. I haven't bought a CD for myself in about eight or ten years. I have been meaning to buy a record player for a few years, since my folks gave me their vinyl collection to sell on eBay (they couldn't be arsed with the effort) and I decided to keep them instead.

The albums I've bought have either been albums I have on a streaming service, so it's a way to give money direct to the artist, or I've bought the No Man's Sky soundtrack from iam8bit, and the No Such Thing As A Fish podcast did an album with an 'exclusive' episode. Again, very much like livdiv said, it's essentially merchandise. A way to show appreciation to the people who make something I enjoy, and because I'm a shallow, pathetic schmuck who (despite not having a CD or DVD collection) still likes to have some physical tokens to represent my tastes.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    No point in attacking Andy over it.

Nah, let's make Andy the 'that Mass Effect: Andromeda woman' of vinyl. Boo Andy, BOO!
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • I wasn't attacking him (apologies if it came across like that) but curious, and I liked the answer.

I guess I'm no different in that I buy band t-shirts but never wear them.
  • Streams are not comparable to sales. Even taking into account the formula the charts use to include them, people who buy LP's and CDs (and digital) still stream those same records. They don't tend to purchase multiple formats though.
  • I quite like some vinyl. Put me in WorKid's hipster twat pigeonhole.....only without the hipster bit.
  • Streams are not comparable to sales. Even taking into account the formula the charts use to include them, people who buy LP's and CDs (and digital) still stream those same records. They don't tend to purchase multiple formats though.

There was some interesting talk on that last week as Ed Sheeran had 8 or 9 tracks in the top ten. The charts are a relic though, introducing streaming and counting all tracks not just single releases has killed it.
  • In fact, those who stream are more likely to buy vinyl - for precisely the reasons mentioned in here. Andy seems representive.

Lets have some graphics

_89212649_people_who_buy_vinyl_624pie.png

_89216463_chart_vinylages_visjodom.jpg
  • Yeah so consumption wise it's clear where music is going. Even if all them LPs are being listened to (which they aren't) then streaming is still by far the most dominant way people are choosing to consume music. And that includes YouTube of course.

Which brings us back to games. Maybe it's just me but I prefer digital, and in fact I'm much more likely to play a game I have on my hard drive all ready to go, than get off my arse and find the disc and put it in.

My kids HATE physical media, it just gets in the way. Whether it's music or games or films.

Gaming needs to catch up to the rest of the world.
  • I stream all the time, so if I like stuff I buy it on Vinyl. When I had a record player, I used it nearly every day. I don't have one now, but I still have my vinyl, and have bought one or two more since not having a record player. I specifically bought the Moon Shaped Pool, Holy Bible, and Central Belters boxsets because they're the kind of thing that are nice to own, like the print that Dan did of the Pokemon, which still isn't up yet as I don't have a frame for it. In fact I only started buying vinyl when In Rainbows did that £40 set. It's just immeasurably nicer than a CD, and there's something nice about putting a vinyl on just to listen to it, as opposed to having a stream fade into ancillary noise because it's just so easy to let it run forever.
  • That would require the internet to catch up. Streaming for games (psnow) is not quite there yet and downloading 50+ gig stuff is not ideal.
  • Usually also vinyls come with MP3 codes.
  • Escape wrote:
    The Daddy wrote:
    Not unprecedented though escape, 3ds has the same flawed signing system that makes the digital theft so easy.

Some sort of key-exchange weakness?

Yeah, there's some quite in-depth encryption analysis here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/3dshacks/comments/56lk5p/game_ncch_and_cdn_encryption_an_explanation/

Basically once the title key is decrypted then that title can be downloaded directly from Nintendo's severs as each title is encrypted using a single static key.

As a comparison, apple's App Store is encrypted by 99%+ static content with a small single change that's of a static byte size. The core executable is stored uncompressed within an .ipa (aka zip) file so all the bytes are exposed. A portion of the executable, as it's being served to the end user, is encrypted with a user-specific ID. This is injected on-the-fly by their content delivery network to the end users.

This makes sure:

1.) You can't download without having it in your purchase history, it's checked at download time (since your user information is necessary to generate that tiny encrypted block on the fly)

2.) No two users can share/use the same download - each .ipa is unique to each user and a portion of the content is encrypted to a user-specific key.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • I wouldn't argue that games will eventually go the digital route, but if we are talking the niche that is games collecting then I don't believe that market is going to disappear at the same rate.
  • WorKid wrote:
    Yeah so consumption wise it's clear where music is going. Even if all them LPs are being listened to (which they aren't) then streaming is still by far the most dominant way people are choosing to consume music. And that includes YouTube of course. Which brings us back to games. Maybe it's just me but I prefer digital, and in fact I'm much more likely to play a game I have on my hard drive all ready to go, than get off my arse and find the disc and put it in. My kids HATE physical media, it just gets in the way. Whether it's music or games or films. Gaming needs to catch up to the rest of the world.

Actually, YouTube isn't included in official figures as it's video, so in reality streaming figures are even higher.

I personally hate digital titles. Having to download patches annoys the shit out of me, let alone 50GB plus. It was fine for XBLA, and stuff like Rock Band songs, but full games? Until internet speeds become about 10 times faster, it's not particuarly convenient. In the time it took my mate to download Titanfall 2 on my PS4 over Christmas, I could have gone into town and bought the bloody thing.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!