Deals of the Day
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I am personally against the idea of having media tied to an account. At that point buy it digitally.

I’ve lived off using eBay/CeX etc to find older titles from a developer. It’d be fine if they had every title available on the store forever, and all new hardware worked with the older software, but even with licensing etc that’s not feasible.

I expect that, going forward, Xbox games will be on the store forever and back compat will be built into all new consoles. I think this is precisely the future Microsoft were aiming for, but it was too soon for most.

I’m still sure that they weren’t saying you couldn’t resell games. I think that there might have been something about paying a fee to switch it over, but in some ways I do have sympathy for that as games retailers do take the piss on pre-owned stock.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    From what I remember, Microsoft presented the Xbox One in the initial E3 presentation as a pretty dramatic departure from previous consoles in that it was heavily set-top box/TV oriented and so you had stuff like the magic TV pass through thing triggered by Kinect and the original TV series they said they were going to do and there would be all this floaty cloud DRM stuff. People seemed generally revulsed by the concept, not just the disc thing but the entire concept. It was perhaps the wrong time - with the increasing popularity of streaming and games becoming increasingly digitally oriented and hard to sell with season passes and stuff it probably wouldn't go down that badly today.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Wasn't the fee part of the backtracking?

And games won't ever be on the store permanently. Activision will still licence IPs cheaply, so they're only allowed to sell them for a certain amount of time, and they'll get removed from store when that happens.
  • Of course, apart from a coupe of points, the main thing that Microsoft fucked up was the presentation of things. They assumed everyone would want the same things they do, rather than just saying "our new game console can also do these things, if you want them".
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    AJ wrote:
    Wasn't the fee part of the backtracking?

Not that I recall.
    And games won't ever be on the store permanently. Activision will still licence IPs cheaply, so they're only allowed to sell them for a certain amount of time, and they'll get removed from store when that happens.

They’d be daft to, furthermore, the companies that they license the IPs would also be daft to. If there’s a chance of a long tail and ongoing licensing fees, which clearly wouldn’t harm the prospects of potential future licensees, it would be bizarre to turn this down.
  • You may think it's daft, but that's the way it happens and there's no indication of it stopping any time soon.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Those seem like a couple of very broad assertions. Are you privy to any licensing deals being signed in recent years?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I mean, I accept that this is the way things have been done in the past, but these deals always seemed very much like an anomaly in terms of media licensing deals, films don’t get pulled from sale because the license on a soundtracked song has run out. Surely the games companies have wised up a bit.
  • Basically, things don't tend to change until something forces them to.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Are we talking about games like Tony Hawks, so a licensing deal from 20 years ago?

Edit: you’ve edited.

But things also change because money can be made. These days, more money can be made by both halves of a deal by not expiring them.
  • I was thinking about all those Spider-Man, Transformers and TMNT games that have been pulled recently.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’m not aware of those ones.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Are we talking about games like Tony Hawks, so a licensing deal from 20 years ago? Edit: you’ve edited. But things also change because money can be made. These days, more money can be made by both halves of a deal by not expiring them.

I did edit, for clarity. You reply too fast.

They could make money now by resigning the deals, but they haven't done that. I'd happily buy a PSN copy of Amazing Spider-Man 2 and Steam copies of War for/Fall of Cybertron, but I can't.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Those seem odd to me, one of the games was pulled after just 8 months.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    But yeah, perhaps Activision will keep being daft, hopefully other pubs are a bit more sensible these days.
  • Yup, it's fucking mental, that's why I don't think it'll become sensible any time soon.
  • Spiderman 2 on PS2 (ie the best superhero game ever) goes for slightly silly monies at cex *spit*
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Sony owns the Spider-Man license.
  • Wasn't obvious at the PS3 launch at all, that.

Spiderman 2 on PS2 (ie the best superhero game ever) goes for slightly silly monies at cex *spit*

It was at the time, but we've had the Arkham games since then, and there are probably others I've forgotten about.

Anyway, after the PC one, which was a completely different game, the PS2 is the worst version. Xbox has best graphics and GC has widescreen support. I have both; we've covered how I'm a massive nerd for that game, haven't we?
  • Does this mean I can't download the Platinum Transformers game I got on PS+ that I was saving for when I'm reeeeally hard up for stuff to play?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    No, you can still download these games, you just can’t buy them.
  • So long as you claimed it at the time, you should be okay as that counts as a purchase. Pepe who already own a licence can still download these things, you just can't buy new ones.
  • None of these are deals! I came in here all excited
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    You’ll save loads of money from not buying all these games you can no longer buy.
  • Licensing is almost always going to run out isn’t it? Especially with big IPs. Marvel Ip is the most obvious example, but more than that, a distributer only holds onto the rights for an amount of time. It’s why you see some films on DVD with different labels on, as a distributor will lose the license to press/release that film. Very common with independent and foreign releases.

Sometimes a distributer of a film will lose the rights, and the film won’t be picked up again.

Likewise, I was trying to get a copy of ‘trails in the sky’ for vita on the PSN store, and it’s just that ghostlight lost the license. I think atlas have it back now (as they didn’t publish in EU themselves) so my only legal way of getting it is the UMD on PSP, as they haven’t republished it.

Now, if that UMD was tied to a service that checked online, and the PSP services are all down, what happens to that version of the game?

Edit: Apologies, this isn’t the thread for this is it...
  • If the system was done properly, you would still be able to play it.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Okay back to deals please. That was an underwhelming visit to this thread for sure.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I got an email from Toys R Us saying the closing down sale was now 25% max saving, which seems an increase from the other day when it was 20%. Everything's probably gone though.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!