Misogyny and other gender issues.
  • Nox is getting riled by the backlash against his opinion about the backlash against someone else's opinion. But that's just my opinion.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    We should all be united against the real criticism of terrible writing. I'm just as frustrated by Butch McTough as I am by Mindy Homepride.

I sometimes wonder if old-school programmers would've made better writers given today's tech. Because they'd have been coming from books (albeit a surplus of nerdhelmets), rather than repeating the mistakes of their gaming youth through a lack of exposure to artistic betters. I prefer the writing in adventures from the '90s than anything produced now.

8-bit cover artists were about as bad as it gets, of course, with yer Maria Whittakers and Wolfmen.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    Nox is getting riled by the backlash against his opinion about the backlash against someone else's opinion. But that's just my opinion.
    Yes well that's your opinion.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • My only real gripe with Sarko is the narrowness of her argument. She ignores so many things that affected how these games were produced to pursue her main point relentlessly - a top-down misogynistic industry repeatedly imposing its value set on young impressionables.

In reality, re 80s and 90s games, devs have usually tacked on standard, rescue the girl, story templates as an afterthought. There's a problem of awareness there for sure.

The perfluence of sexy half-naked women in later decades is as much to do with the industry figuring out that sexy girls in games is something that sells when your market is overly horny man boys. And so on and so on. There was none of that in the vids I watched.

Still as a way of showing quite how common some of these tropes were, the vids served a purpose.
  • djchump wrote:
    Why are you getting annoyed that I disagree with you a bit? It's not the end of the world, dude.

Why are you so angry? Why are you frothing at the mouth? Why cant you control your temper? Why must you always resort to violence?

Also, why- when i say i dont like her videos- do you ask me why i hate her?
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Andy was vehemently against some.videos made by a transgender lass in the FIFA thread chump, latch on there for a bit as I'm sure the discussion will be stunning.
  • Why are you getting annoyed that I disagree with you a bit? It's not the end of the world, dude.
    Why are you so angry?
    I'm not.
    Why are you frothing at the mouth?
    I've just eaten a handful of flying saucers and drank some Sprite, sorry about that, I'll get a cloth.
    Why cant you control your temper? Why must you always resort to violence?
    I guess it's because you've got such a punchable face? It's hard to resist.
    Also, why- when i say i dont like her videos- do you ask me why i hate her?
    No, you've got me wrong there - I was merely exploring what you were saying here:
    ...I heard she gets a lot of hate. Some of this might be misogynistic, but im sure it cant all be because her vids arent very good. ...

That's a pretty clear cut statement that you believe, of all the hate that sarkeesian gets, whilst some (or most) of it "might be misogynistic", you are also sure that some of the hate is because the videos aren't very good. The clear implication being that the videos not being very good has earned an amount of hate and that that is reasonable/deserved.

Just saying.

IMHO, a couple of videos "not being very good" really doesn't earn or deserve any hate. At most a shrug or a roll of the eyes.
  • In fairness, her voice is fucking awful. She's no Anita.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    The perfluence of sexy half-naked women in later decades is as much to do with the industry figuring out that sexy girls in games is something that sells when your market is overly horny man boys.

But the market's not limited to those. Lots of women'd like intelligent mainstream games, whereas Arne & Carlos don't come in for much abuse for their lack of manly knits.

I don't complain about mainstream films any more because I've had to accept that I'm not part of their audience. Awful writing in games deserves to be called out, though, because unlike those films, they're not yet a lost cause.

I don't care about the miso angle insofar as it naturally goes away if you treat the other symptoms. It's a spoke in a rusting wheel.
  • monkey wrote:
    My only real gripe with Sarko is the narrowness of her argument. She ignores so many things that affected how these games were produced to pursue her main point relentlessly - a top-down misogynistic industry repeatedly imposing its value set on young impressionables. In reality, re 80s and 90s games, devs have usually tacked on standard, rescue the girl, story templates as an afterthought. There's a problem of awareness there for sure. The perfluence of sexy half-naked women in later decades is as much to do with the industry figuring out that sexy girls in games is something that sells when your market is overly horny man boys. And so on and so on. There was none of that in the vids I watched. Still as a way of showing quite how common some of these tropes were, the vids served a purpose.
    Yeah, pretty much. I've only watched a few but am surprised the latest one is still just 'here's another trope'. You'd expect something more substantial to be done with all that analysis by now even if that was the only aim initially. As it stands it's a case of 'OK, and...?'

The backlash against it is almost entirely misogynistic though. There really isn't anything else that could explain the extent of it or the speed with which it grew, because the thing itself is otherwise nothing more than a fairly niche and uncontroversial kickstarter project. I also presume it would never have raised anything like the money it did without the backlash.
  • Unlikely wrote:
    It's very entertaining though.

Probably more entertaining than the videos in question.
  • To me the fem freq vids are basically: here is a trope (look them up on tv tropes if you want) look at all the games that demonstrate it. Yes she picks ones which are negative female in her view but YOU can choose your own category. Dog tropes. Meat tropes. Anything really. Then find the games that fit them.

I mean that's all there is to it.

• Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I wouldn't mind a counterpart to cover the Man McGruffs, in fairness.
  • I already don't buy any of these piece of shit videogames, so I've done my bit.
  • Escape wrote:
    I wouldn't mind a counterpart to cover the Man McGruffs, in fairness.

You could do it!
  • Brooks wrote:
    I already don't buy any of these piece of shit videogames, so I've done my bit.
    Can we tempy u back into gears bud?
  • Fuck, my obsession with needling tempy has affected my autocorrect now
  • I'm never not tempted, just don't have the time at present.
  • Get ur fukin act together m8
  • monkey wrote:
    There was none of that in the vids I watched.
    She does cover the points you make in her videos, btw.

Andy was vehemently against some.videos made by a transgender lass in the FIFA thread chump, latch on there for a bit as I'm sure the discussion will be stunning.
    Beware of the trolls...
  • Andy wrote:
    monkey wrote:
    There was none of that in the vids I watched.
    She does cover the points you make in her videos, btw.
    Fair enough. I only watched a couple of them.
  • No, Monkey stopped using string belts ages ago.
  • http://www.patheos.com/blogs/markmeckler/2016/10/the-same-left-that-is-outraged-by-trump-encourages-a-culture-of-sexual-immorality/#disqus_thread

Jesus christ, this is a terrible piece. What a fuckin idiot.

Outside of Jay Z lyrics, every other "example" is just full of holes.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • It misses the entire point of consent, and confuses enjoying or empowering your own sexuality with imposing your sexuality on others.

James Woods made the same retarded mistake on twitter, but at least he was brief.
  • yep.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • We aren't outraged by Trumps sexually explicit talk. We're outraged by his sexual assault.

If he'd just said "oh my god look at her boobies" he'd have been fine.
  • Well, better, but still not Presidential.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!