Misogyny and other gender issues.
  • The poster is Graham Linehan btw
  • Ah I was wondering where I recognized the handle from. Wtf is his beef? What stake does he have in this debate? Fucker's a wasteman.
  • Slaved to the Mum Pound probably.
  • I'm perfectly fine having debates and studies on children's exposure to gender nonconformity, ftr, but Linehan seems completely blinkered to anything other than his own pov. I feel I can't even call him a terf anymore because apparently that's upsetting and offensive.
  • Thread taken down temporarily, fyi
  • Tempy wrote:
    The poster is Graham Linehan btw
    nick_md wrote:
    I'm perfectly fine having debates and studies on children's exposure to gender nonconformity, ftr, but Linehan seems completely blinkered to anything other than his own pov. I feel I can't even call him a terf anymore because apparently that's upsetting and offensive.

He always seemed a nice guy. But he has taken on a zealot like role over this.
    SFV - reddave360
  • I often though he got too much shit on Twitter by idiots... But posting on something like that on Mumsnet?! Ew.
  • The guy's a fucking dickhead and I have trouble reconciling this with my enjoyment of Ted. I can happily dump his other work. I guess Ted himself was created by DM (I think?) and I feel the cast really made that show. Yeah I'm making excuses for breaking my principles, but I think we all do to some degree.
  • nick_md wrote:
    Wtf is his beef? 

He's transphobic.
  • Is he? Or is he just very questioning of the scale and propagation of it in a quite twatty manner?
  • Him being twatty, to be clear.
  • Though I do have qualms re: 'The Trans Movement' as it currently exists. But I guess anything with a militant element ends up with some twats, I guess.
  • So what odds are PaddyPower offering for Linehan to transition in the next 15 years?
  • Though I do have qualms re: 'The Trans Movement' as it currently exists. But I guess anything with a militant element ends up with some twats, I guess.

What are the qualms? Asking because interested, not provoking.
  • Actual trans militias would be very interesting.
  • So firstly. I have a lot of empathy for transgender people. I think to come out as transgender is incredibley brave, even if it may feel natural, it is something that won't make life easy unfortunately.

There are two aspects of the debate I would like to know more opinions or info on. With both I feel too poorly informed to do much other than abstain from opinion.

Firstly is the public toilet debate. I fully understand why a male to female transgender person would want use the female toilets. It is where they feel they belong and it doesn't draw unwanted attention.
    On the other side of the debate I feel it is easy to understand why females may feel uncomfortable sharing toilets with non-biological females.
    I feel like this often gets confused and transgender rights people feeling they are being accused of being rapists. Sadly the cause of the problem is actually sis males (is sis right?).

I'm not sure what the solution is here short of anything unnacceptably heavy handed like "I'm a trans" I.D cards.

Second thing relates to the above conversation.
    In anything but medical or biological terms I'm happy for kids to be who they want to be. If a boy wants to wear Barbie PJs, have at it. If that girl what's to be called John and refered to as a boy, all fine. I think parents, family and schools can well enough determine the difference between play, playing up and genuine wishes. That isn't for society as a whole to decide.

I feel things become different if we start to look at things like hormone therapy. My rudimentary understanding of the biology involved is hormones being out of balance in some way causing a conflict between the physicality and the mentality.
    The biggest shift in hormones we go through is during puberty. Where I lack knowledge is if this shift is enough to change people to actually realign with their birth gender or not.
    The problem being waiting can be both traumatic and gender alignment is more more successful physically if hormones are taken pre-puberty.

Sorry, bit of a wall of text but would be good to fill some knowledge gaps if possible. Or even see some informed opinions from people here.
  • The only thing taken pre puberty are puberty blockers. These delay the onset of puberty, but they dont stop it.
  • Cheers Dante, already learning.
    So I gather if blockers are stopped with no replacement therapy that is just like being a late bloomer?
  • Yes, if you stop taking them, you go through puberty as normal.
  • I don't think I can begin to answer fully. I don't think for a lot of things in these debates, even Trans people could comprehensively answer. Lots of Contrapoints videos cover things like passing and the difficulty of liking extreme left/feminist attitudes. It's cis, not sis, by the way. That's an easy one to pick up on at least.
  • Has it been suggested anywhere that children should be given the option of taking said drugs?!

Nick - I have written a mega reply post on my phone but it's a bit rambling.
  • Cheers Tempy.
    I knew sis was wrong but also right.

I realise what I covered wouldn't be easy to answer.

@tiger
    No, well not that I have seen, just my lack of knowledge there. I think I had confused blockers for hormones in terms of pre-pubescent kids getting medical treatment. (Treatment? Minefield)
  • On the toilet debate, and I realise that this isn't actually practical for older buildings, but surely get rid of urinals in public toilets and just go for unisex cubicles. I'm raging the money people in our restaurant didn't foot the extra money when we redid the bathrooms. It would have been easier from a usage point of view as well.
    SFV - reddave360
  • It's an idea to at least move that way.
    Fabric has a urinals section and a cubicles section rather than Ladies and Gents.
    Possibly works better in busier and more staffed places like clubs and restaurants. Maybe not council toilets.
  • I have concerns regarding how hard some people push the notion of not 'gendering' children and allowing them complete free choice, even before they are old enough to really understand. We have 3 ostensibly trans children at my school of 400 pupils odd, for some slight context.

One insisted last year that they didn't want to be referred to as a girl anymore. Their parents were very much on board with her being old enough to make this decision. She was 8 years old. And, well, she's 'grown out of it'. Was it societal influence, or attention seeking, or... Who knows? Maybe she'll change her mind again. Maybe she's too young too understand. I suppose I have concerns regarding the celebration in some quarters of a child knowing themselves well enough to insist on different pronouns because so many trans people say they knew from a very early age, but I think there are elements of projection that aren't helpful and it is incredibly confusing for young people.

Children being exposed to all this stuff with the immediacy of untempered online access is an unresolved Issue. I'm curious and concerned about the impact - Children on the whole are far less mature and socially capable now (far less) but also far more knowledgeable about once taboo areas. What impact will this have? Who knows?

One of my issues re: debates is how fucking hard it is to decry or question any notion or action related to race or identity politics stuff without being lambasted as a bastard. I follow a lot of very left leaning writers and some of the stuff they spout is fucking mental, but if anyone questions it they are hit by a battalion of 'online SJW' types. Ew, that phrase.

It's all rather difficult.
  • https://link.medium.com/Zf0Qd3A4CS

From the twitter link I posted.

Seems the more reasonable way to disagree on some trans issues. I'm still trawling through the other stuff she posted.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • I understand a lot of that Tiger, I think why I feel a bit lost with it is there isn't much of a middle ground (hence asking in this thread which is generally well considered).

Edit: cheers Face
  • Oh. Missed a bunch of posts. Still.
    I'm still great and you still love it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!