Why do people hate EA?
  • They're fucking brilliant!  And if you pay in money before 8pm, it's credited immediately!  And like Starbucks, they remember my name!
  • I love that clusterbomb company because they intend to bring misery to people and they do it quite well!
  • the problem with complaining about day one dlc is that you don't even have to buy the game. eve additionally you can get special editions which include dlc so you aren't
    paying extra.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I only hate EA for all this BF3 shit they're pulling. I could probably hate them for other stuff too if I was more motivated. I only rent so they can't have my home.
  • Nobody makes cluster bombs anymore, and no arms manufacturer makes anything designed specifically to cause misery, fyi.
  • I dislike them for always closing down servers of games that really aren't that old.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Elmlea wrote:
    They're fucking brilliant!  And if you pay in money before 8pm, it's credited immediately!  And like Starbucks, they remember my name!

Do they write it on the notes? I used to do that when I was five.

I used to hate Origin and the idea of EA trying to muscle in on Valve's space with Steam. Then I humbly bit the bullet and got Origin with ME 3 on PC and lived with it. Not a bad program. Not great. Haven't used it again since I stopped playing ME 3 over a month ago.
  • Elmlea wrote:
    Nobody makes cluster bombs anymore, and no arms manufacturer makes anything designed specifically to cause misery, fyi.
    What an odd thing to say. So, they're not designed to cause misery, they're designed to kill, maim and destroy property. And if that happens to lead to misery, well that's not their fault...
  • Cluster bombs are designed primarily to cause mobility kills on armour, without necessarily killing the occupants.

No modern weapons are designed to cause misery or suffering, and it breaks one of the central tenets of the law of armed conflict to field a weapon that does cause undue suffering (eg mustard gas), or to modify a weapon purely to increase the level of pain or suffering it causes (eg smearing faeces on a bayonet or making dum-dum bullets).

Subjectively, any loss of life has the chance to cause misery, but that's not the design intent of any weapon, and any allusion thus ("then it's not their fault") is perhaps a little crass.

It's an obtuse comment which I struggle to link to banks, to be honest.
  • Isn't modern small arms ammo now designed to maim and injure rather than kill? The theory being to put strain on an enemies resource by increasing the amount of wounded to hospitalise and rehabilitate.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Wasn't one of the reasons cluster bombs were eventually banned because of the rather large percentage of child deaths they caused, and one of the reasons cited for that that the bomblets were designed to look like colourful baubles that children would be attraced to? And then of course they tend ot spread over a large area, often don't explode but remain active for years after being dropped, and tend to blow limbs off as much as kill people.

Subjectively, any loss of life has the chance to cause misery, but that's not the design intent of any weapon
    I think we can safely say pretty much all loss of life causes misery.  I also think trying to separate 'intent' from 'almost inevitable consequences' is disingenuous.
  • So this thread has gone slightly off-topic...

I've found it interesting reading all the different reasons, and I do agree that the game cycle of crap/good/crap is certainly evident in their latest output of games.

As someone briefly mentioned earlier, do people prefer Activision or are they just as bad?
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Are thermobarics still in use? Footage of those going off keeps me awake at night.
  • So this thread has gone slightly off-topic...
    Fair point.

To drag it back slightly to what Bugul was saying, I agree the idea of EA being the worst company in the US is absurd. Frankly, I wouldn't know which company to go for without some research (but plenty to choose from major banks, weapons companies, big pharmaceuticals, oil giants, sweat shop labour exploiters, environmentally destructive intensive farming, private security contractors, tobacco companies, and on and on), but the idea of going for an entertainment provider that tried to squeeze a bit of extra money out of folk, or gave slightly iffy customer service wouldn't cross my mind.
  • I think there's a couple of reasons. EA have insisted on using their own servers for console games since the last generation, this sometimes has advantages, but has caused a huge amount of technical problems over the years. Other publishers have a reputation for bugs, but the EA servers have caused a lot of games to be completely broken on-line for a lot of people repeatedly over the years. Their ambition outstrips their technical ability in a lot of cases.

They also have a dominant position in the sports genre, especially as far as licensed titles go. I'd guess that a lot of people see themselves as forced to buy FIFA and Madden for the licenses, they're then much less tolerant of the attempts to make money from add on content. That's not entirely rational, but it is understandable.

Activision in contrast just don't make many games these days. A lot of people like COD and they buy it, end of story.
  • JonB wrote:
    but the idea of going for an entertainment provider that tried to squeeze a bit of extra money out of folk, or gave slightly iffy customer service wouldn't cross my mind.
    Conversely, that's what I find interesting about it. They make video games, in a lot of cases, people love those companies. I wouldn't be voting for them either, but they've done a hell of a job managing to piss people off so much.
  • I_R wrote:
    Conversely, that's what I find interesting about it. They make video games, in a lot of cases, people love those companies. I wouldn't be voting for them either, but they've done a hell of a job managing to piss people off so much.
    From my own experience I don't really know how 'bad' EA are (only played a few of their games in recent years), but such is the internet and its denizens that this kind of backlash could just as easily come from a bubble-dwelling vocal minority who have a propensity to wind themselves into a frenzy about not all that much. So it ain't necessarily the case that EA have had to be all that awful to provoke such a reaction. But then again it could be. I dunno.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    It doesn't particularly matter who wins, if it makes the finalists approach how they do business a different way then it's all good.

To be selfish I don't really give a fuck how BoA do business but if EA rethink some of their more egregious practices then super.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I thought it was interesting how EA managed to turn Mass Effect 3, pretty indisputably an excellent game for the vast majority of the experience, and turn it into an absolute PR clusterfuck with day-one DLC, DLC attached to a bewildering array of merch, a controversial ending possibly affected by executive interference, a really out-of-place message about DLC at the end, and so on.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • mass effect 3 is an excellent game. The dlc and stupid ending don't take away from this.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Are EA really worse than Zynga?
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Does anybody really care that much?

If it's a good game I'll buy it and if it isn't I won't, I don't give a flying who made or published it...
  • There's an issue where a few of their games aren't as big as EA would like and people avoiding them because they have a negative opinion of EA might see those studios shut down.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Are EA really worse than Zynga?

No, because Zynga as far as I can tell are entirely metrics driven, whereas EA are a little more developer focused. I'm by no means suggesting that they're Valve, but stuff like EA Partners is a Good Thing, and the decision to have less, but better games made a few years ago is certainly in their favour.
  • JonB wrote:
    Wasn't one of the reasons cluster bombs were eventually banned because of the rather large percentage of child deaths they caused, and one of the reasons cited for that that the bomblets were designed to look like colourful baubles that children would be attraced to?

I won't drag us off topic again, but no, cluster bomblets were never designed to look like colourful baubles, nor were they ever designed to attract children! They look like little bombs, and there were some weapons that had some bomblets that acted as mines and didn't detonate immediately (runway denial weapons for example) but normal cluster bombs are all instantaneously fused and designed to detonate on impact. The smaller payload often resulted in a higher failure rate, but it's unlikely they'll randomly explode in the future if the fusing mechanism stops them detonating when they're meant to.

Kids are curious and they will play with things like this, but the idea that they're designed to attract kids is fairly abhorrent. Anything that works like a mine is now banned due to the risk of anyone finding it in the future, not just kids, and our main cluster weapon did include minelets as it was an anti-runway weapon.

Webbins, modern small arms ammo is designed to injure; not to fill up hospitals but to occupy people on the battlefield, so that one injured guy takes 2 colleagues to remove him to safety. It's also out of reasons of humanity; people would generally prefer for combatants to be removed from fighting but not killed altogether.

Bollockoff, yes, but the thing you're thinking of isn't a traditional thermobaric weapon. Modern thermobaric weapons just use pressure to carry the explosion in a more directed way, rather than using air as part of the explosive mixture. You're thinking of a fuel/air explosive weapon, which don't tend to be used anymore.

If anyone cares to ask any more feel free to start another thread in the off topic section.
  • Elmlea wrote:
    I can't find numbers of how many people have lost their homes due to Bank of American doing something dodgy, but EA's particularly schoolyard levels of greed affect 95.85 million Wii owners, 67.2 million Xbox 360 owners and 63.9 million PS3 owners.
    Good figures, but silly figures.  The reason EA can buy up smaller companies is because they're minted.  The reason they're minted is that their games are popular.  We can argue until the cows come home about cynical money-making tactics, but people are buying them.  Large swathes of the owners of those 226.95 consoles couldn't tell you which of their games are published by EA, let alone what EA did to sell them, and wouldn't feel even vaguely aggrieved if they found out.

How many of the companies EA bought were taken over aggressively?  How many rubbed their hands with glee when a wealthy publisher phoned, and happily tamed their hair-brained ideas for the safety of a corporate umbrella?  Where's the hatred for them?

I find the idea of hating a company a bit weird (cue someone quoting me saying I hate a company).
  • Elmlea wrote:
    I won't drag us off topic again, but no, cluster bomblets were never designed to look like colourful baubles, nor were they ever designed to attract children! They look like little bombs, and there were some weapons that had some bomblets that acted as mines and didn't detonate immediately (runway denial weapons for example) but normal cluster bombs are all instantaneously fused and designed to detonate on impact. The smaller payload often resulted in a higher failure rate, but it's unlikely they'll randomly explode in the future if the fusing mechanism stops them detonating when they're meant to.
    I don't wish to carry this on here either. It's easy enough for anyone to Google something like 'cluster bombs look like toys' (without quotes) and read through the relevant results.
  • They look like little bombs; some of them have little metal winglets to help them fly.  I guess some could look like a large metal yo-yo or something, but I thought you were implying that somewhere, people made cluster bombs with bomblets that looked like Christmas tree decorations with the implicit intention of inviting children to play with them.

One of our last 2 cluster munitions was the JP233, a runway denial weapon.  Some little bomblets penetrated the runway surface to damage it, and then some of the other bomblets acted like mines, designed to damage bulldozers and associated runway repair machinery.  They look like this:

653px-HB_876_bomblet_casing.jpg

There's also an important distinction between the weapons that dispensed mines and cluster munitions that failed.  Also, repeated exposure to our current conflict out east has left me very cynical over local media pieces that state that injury X was caused by event Y.
  • Anyone can also Google image search 'cluster bomblets' to see pics of various types.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    If I was to google such a thing, would I end up on some list?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!