It’s all downhill from here: the aging thread
  • Jesus fucking Christ, where do I start?

Found out I had hemochromatosis when I was 44, when I was discovered that I had arthritis in my left knee (untreated HCT causes it). It's a genetic condition, but manifests itself as you get older and the iron deposits build up around your body - normal serum ferritin sits at about 30-100 micrograms per litre of blood. Mine was at 2578. Weekly venesection commenced to remove a pint of blood using a fuck off massive needle.

Got varifocal glasses in early 2020 as my eyesight went mental.

Diagnosed with diverticular disease this year, wear and tear in my guts from years of IBS - no doubt my future will involve some kind of surgery.

Currently suffering from impingement syndrome in my left shoulder and waiting for an appointment for ultrasound guided steroid injections. Right shoulder is fucked from having the same thing 10 years ago.

Still, mustn't grumble.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Eyesight issue isn’t necessarily a getting old thing. Could be strained eyes from too much screen time etc.

*squints* Who said that?
    SFV - reddave360
  • Gremill wrote:

Does this qualify as ironic?
  • Right knee is dust after two major ligament tears including a full acl tear. No operations so its just there, existing. Gets sore every now and then.

I'm tall as fuck so susceptible to back problems but nothing major bar the odd pulled muscle.

Biggest thing for me is hair loss. It's accelerated rapidly, probably from work/covid stress so I use Nioxin conditioner every day recently and it's having some effect.
  • I'm getting an appointment to find out about early onset dementia. My memory is so bad it upsets me how often I can't remember the simplest things. I have trouble sleeping and organising things and often just forget what I'm meant to be doing. I used to pride myself on being pretty sharp and quick witted in conversation. I'm 47 ffs.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I think I feel unwell in some way at least half of the time. Stomach is fucked and in getting headaches fairly often now as well. Might just give up.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Ngl this is the shitest thread.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Gremill wrote:
    Does this qualify as ironic?

heh
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Ngl this is the shitest thread.

It’s not great, but then, neither is getting older.
  • Aches,pains and eyesight and all the other problems with getting old.

But I've always considered having those and getting older is much better than the alternative.
    But have to admit I've been lucky and still am doing ok for my (relatively) advanced years.
    You rang.....
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Eyesight is biggest thing I feel. A twingy back from time to time but on the whole I'm OK. I am less flexible too. However I need to get more active, get a stone or two off and build a bit of core strength as precautions as I head toward 60. I'll be 57 in April next year
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Oh yea and my feet hurt if I walk too much in the day
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I think the worst thing is actually that I just can't stay awake after about 11.30 anymore. I often think I can get in a bit of gaming or tv after the kid is gone to bed but I'm asleep in about 20 minutes. Conversely, in the morning I can't lie in as I can't sleep after about 8.30. I used to be able to just miss out on sleep and it'd be fine, but now it accumulates.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I can still stay up without much of an issue, but lie-ins are trickier these days. Unless I’m hungover.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I used to wonder why all these retired folk were up at the crack of dawn and out wandering about the place.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yep early starts have been a thing for about 10 years now. I do wonder if you know you’re getting closer to death so you’re try to make the most of the day. I’m terrible when I get into bed I’m lucky to read more than five pages of my book.
  • I knocked out early last night. Woke up at 5. :(
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Today's hangover from her bday shindig last night actually had be vomiting earlier, and I never do that. Each one becoming more of a struggle now. I probably won't feel right til Tuesday I think. Need to tell myself I can't rattle pints like I used to, or wanted to.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    My hangovers have a long tail now. Tuesday before I lose the fuzzy, internal balaclava feeling sometimes. The tail doesnt include suffering...just that fuzzy...i've been drinking feeling.
  • davyK wrote:
    My hangovers have a long tail now. Tuesday before I lose the fuzzy, internal balaclava feeling sometimes. The tail doesnt include suffering...just that fuzzy...i've been drinking feeling.

Same. I know that all too well.
    I often prefer just to call it quits after the first drink. Not worth it otherwise
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I don't drink anything more than 4 beers now regardless of where I go. Set my limit and won't go beyond it. Not worth the hassle.

Had 6 about a year ago and was a mess the next day.
  • I’m aging like a fine wine. Never been fitter.

Apart from being constantly tired. And the gradually worsening knees. And the bad hangovers that even happen when I haven’t been drinking.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • It’s the kids that really fuck you in my experience. Never really recovered from those dodgy 6-9 months after second one born and first still so young.

Maybe these days it’s the lack of downtime, those hours here or there not doing anything much which are now spent entertaining, cooking, scolding, caring for other than me
  • Completely agree. I hardly get a break. Exhausting, sometimes frustrating.
  • Yeah you know, I realise neither of us would change anything just more understanding that there’s a reason why, in nature, plenty of things die after having offspring
  • Heh. It’s funny. It’s my boy, 9yo, glued to me. Constantly. I love him. I can’t live without him. But it can be hard. And I sometimes get frustrated at him. He’s aged me!

But… when I’m in the office, I miss him so much. We are co-dependent almost!
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    My arthritic knee is getting progressively worse. I'm hoping by the time I'm 50 I'll have the cash, and they'll have the technology, to give me a bionic one.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    And kids, yeah, fully agree! The wife wants a third. I'm nearly 41, what's she trying to do, kill me?
  • Yea it's been since the kids arrived that I've gone downhill physically.
    The twins was a tough, very high risk and stressful pregnancy and the worry made me very ill for a while.
    Then the exhaustion that comes from having not just one but two brand new babies at the same time.
    We just start to recover and get settled into a way of life that starts to become easier and then BAM along comes number three and I'm just so so so so tired all the time.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I find beer hits me too hard now. So i have switched almost exclusively to whiskey and water. Provided I don't go mad my hangovers are considerably lessened. But the call of the Guinness can only be resisted for so long. :)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!