It’s all downhill from here: the aging thread
  • I like when one pain gets considerably worse, so it blocks out the other pain that had been troubling you for months, then the new pain subsides a little and the old one comes back. I like how it switches around.
  • I drink like a fish and barely age. They call me Benjamin Button and Just for Men Ben. I wear glasses now and I'm definitely a little fatter but that's about it.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Oh and acid reflux. That can fuck off.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Oh and acid reflux. That can fuck off.
    Yep. I'm on regular meds to keep mine in check. It's awful
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • I also hate the fact that I feel like I need to see my Dr every few months with something new.
    It's gotten to the point when I just want a full MOT now. Spend an hour or two with him and just get the full works
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Re Reflux, I had mine in check but over the last year it's decided to get much worse. Don't depend on meds, make lifestyle changes or it'll kick you in the arse. And throat.
  • I don’t sleep through the night anymore. And can’t remember the last time I had a good night’s sleep.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I also hate the fact that I feel like I need to see my Dr every few months with something new.
    It's gotten to the point when I just want a full MOT now. Spend an hour or two with him and just get the full works

I genuinely would love it. I don't have anything actively wrong with me, but would like a full scan and work over to know.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • I'm at the point now where a few drinks down the pub puts me close to death for days.
  • pissing's not what it used to be. ;)
    medically everything is fine but it's a shame to think i'll never be winning any more pissing up the wall at the urinal competitions!

physically i'm pretty much ok for day to day stuff, just too many injuries and niggles mean exercise is limited to footy - a once a week over 40s jog around with a lot of time (and ibuprofen) prepping and recovering! but then i always have been lazy on the fitness stuff and deffo can't rely on a natural speed and fitness now, so need to pull my finger out and do something...just most things lead to other injuries that stop me playing footy! :)

eyesight is right on the tipping point but i'm just hanging on to glasses free for now. last check my prescription was borderline (i think it was 0.5 or something) but the optician said 'if it's not bothering you it's prob not worth the hassle and cost, just wait until they get a bit worse". said the same thing two years before that too. ;)

hair is going but the good thing there is I held on to mine a lot longer than my younger brother, so i've already won that battle.

i've always been terrible for hangovers, but the last few times i've had a decent drink i've been fine so i'm not quite sure what's happening there...possibly due to a few more spirits instead of beers these days. however if just sitting in the house then after 2 drinks i'm suddenly nodding off on the sofa
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Getting up to piss in the middle of the night is a thing now. Not every night but it happens often enough. Thankfully I have no trouble pissing - at the back of mind though I should probably go for the old finger inspection at some stage.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • A fuck tonne of my pain related issues seem to be stress related, so usually temporary. But yeah, hair getting thinner, eyesight a little weaker. I've seen videos of myself and I don't like how I move sometimes.

Dating in my 40s fucking sucks so much though. Tired of being on my own but not giving up. Just finished up a brief dalliance with someone beautiful and I'm sad it's over but glad it happened. She'll be my favourite ex forever.
  • Kow wrote:
    Re Reflux, I had mine in check but over the last year it's decided to get much worse. Don't depend on meds, make lifestyle changes or it'll kick you in the arse. And throat.

I have a wedge on the top half of my mattress to prop myself up slightly as I sleep. I had a whole load of tests and examinations for my reflux and they determined that my stomach does not close fully at the top. They said surgery was an option but it sounded rather extreme (fundoplication) and I was like "no thanks I'll just take omeprazole for the time being". I am waiting on a microsurgical denervation operation, though, for the nut pain issue, but with the NHS the way it is (deliberately sabotaged by Tory cunts, sorry, "cuts"), I might find out how much it would be to get it done privately...
  • Jokes on all you, I went bald at 19!
    Sucked in late baldies
  • 36 so a relative forum baby.
    Full head of hair, dont need glasses outside of being really tired and text being really small.
    No aches, pains ailments. My knees were fucked after moving house but that was extreme and Ive done some leg work to help support them, no problems now.

Haven't been to a GP since 2008. Can shake a cold in a few days. Never got Covid as far as I know.

This wasnt all the case when I was drinking though. Knocking that on the head has reset me by at least 5 years I reckon. Like a health pickup. When drinking I would get bad back, neck from passing out rather than fallign asleep. Also got acid reflux and anxiety chest pain which the drink added to.

Probably helps that I despise competitive sport so wouldn't be in danger of picking up football injuries or anything like that.

Only difference physically is that I feel the cold more than in my youth. Never used to get cold, now I get cold hands.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    My eyes went in my early 40s.  Was getting headaches - then realised it was eye strain!

I never felt the cold either. Never needed gloves or anything. In real cold would need a good coat of course but usually sweated a bit when I did that. I feel the cold now though.

I had acid reflux / heartburn all the time when I was younger - turned out out I had that bug in your gut that gives you ulcers (helicobacter pylori). I went on a course of anti-biotics and that cleared it up . I only get indigestion when I really go off the rails eating badly and drinking too much. 

The older I get the better I was!  :)
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I dug out the GB Micro last night, because I thought looking like a manchild on public transport would bring back at least some of my youthfulness. Turns out I can barely see the screen these days.
  • Edit: double posting on forums. Another sign of elderliness.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Glasses are fucking weird then. Just picked mine up, shoved them on for the walk home, and quickly became overwhelmed by the feeling that I was only two feet tall. Some adjustment needed.
  • Your eyesight must have been really bad if you hadn't realised you were only two feet tall before you got glasses
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Keep thinking this is the lonely mountain downhill thread. Guess that’s age for you. Just got it again on steam deck fwiw.
  • I really like/need to have a ten minute nap now. Could be in the afternoon or after dinner but at some point the darkness comes for me. I feel great afterwards though.
    aaaaaAAH FA-SHION!
  • I can’t eat a bite of beef without it getting stuck under my teeth. Worse still, these deposits somehow stack, and if I don’t remove them immediately- as in after each mouthful- they double in size and quickly become painful, even to remove. This didn’t happen a year ago
  • Yeah that’s the receding gums making the gaps in your teeth bigger. Regular flossing is the solution but that’s getting on for one of those cures that’s worse than the problem.
  • I quite like me a meaty beefy post eating snack to slowly dislodge from my gnashers whilst I'm relaxing on the sofa, mmmm.
  • I can’t eat a bite of beef without it getting stuck under my teeth. Worse still, these deposits somehow stack, and if I don’t remove them immediately- as in after each mouthful- they double in size and quickly become painful, even to remove. This didn’t happen a year ago

That happens to me too. Leave it for a couple of days and the stench is vomit inducing upon removal...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!