Food Adulteration - The Great Shrinkage
  • I was just reading about this the other day, one of the issues with the artifical sweeteners is they can cause the body to crave real sugar, so even if the drink is more 'diet' it might drive other cravings
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I'll bang anything in my body, we're eternally heading towards death anyway so I'm gonna enjoy it while I can. Stuff me full of utter shit.

While there is something admirable in the attitude, I could think of better things to shorten my life with than some overpriced chemical crap that is basically a scam from some multinational to get us to give them our money by addicting us to their lab created imitation food.

• But yes, smaller portions of pretty much everything is bad form. The amount of crisps in a crisp packet these days isn't even a joke these days, just depressing
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Pringles still stack to the top.
  • I was just reading about this the other day, one of the issues with the artifical sweeteners is they can cause the body to crave real sugar, so even if the drink is more 'diet' it might drive other cravings

Yeah pretty much. Same deal for flavourings. Eating e.g smokey bacon crisps makes your body expect protein which is missing so you are driven to continue eating.
  • The Lidl version are nice but not quite as nice so OG on offer is the way to go imo

Edit: still on about Pringles there
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    I'll bang anything in my body, we're eternally heading towards death anyway so I'm gonna enjoy it while I can. Stuff me full of utter shit.

While there is something admirable in the attitude, I could think of better things to shorten my life with than some overpriced chemical crap that is basically a scam from some multinational to get us to give them our money by addicting us to their lab created imitation food.

Breaking the habit is the key. The junk does do a number on your brain into thinking it's tasty. Once you can break the craving/thought process and get used to good fresh versions it's hard to go back.

I used to think dominos pizzas were nice for example, but now I can't stand them. Greasy, overly sweet, doughy horrible things. That goes for most convenience/junk food. Oven ready or microwave meals (even the posh versions) taste like crap compared to a freshly made version.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I'm sure the multinationals only have our best interests in mind by reducing the sizes of their products. Perfect caloric intake or some such thing.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Kow wrote:

its okay i like alcohol cigs and weed too
  • Personally I've adjusted so that I have this sort of stuff less and then try to go for quality.

Chocolate for example I tend to get M&S bars, they don't have palm oil and all that other crap that has made choco go to shit.

I find my craving for chocolate is much more satisfied that way.

It's more expensive but probably not much more relatively than how much chocolate used to be back in the early 90s or before. Back then it wasn't an everyday thing, maybe once a week at a push for a single bar. It was the 00s that fucked it. Woolworths with their 5 bars for a quid. Race to the bottom with size and ingredients, shovel it in yer face. Then meal deals where a chocolate bar was not just an everyday item but part of lunch to be eaten mindlessly at your desk.

Buy quality, buy less often and appreciate it.
  • Dunno in the 90s I definitely had multiple chocolate bars a week just at school lunches / tuck shop.
  • I will not speak in this thread about the changes to the Irn Bru recipe. AG Barr needing done for war crimes.
  • I used to eat of school every day at the butchers shop in town. Hot sausage roll and a cream horn every single school day for three years. Never different. Told my mum I’d had a ham/chicken/mozzarella salad whenever she asked what I’d had. The switch up between the meats and cheese was particularly smart on my behalf.
  • We used to go to the butchers and ask for a pig sandwich. Bread roll filled with ham, bacon and sausage. Pork three ways. Living the dream, I reckon.
  • They aren't quite sure what's going on with sweetners but they're probs not good. It seems to be how your body prepares for a dose of sugar when your tongue tastes something sweet, and then gets none. Not enough research yet but I'm avoiding.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • The opinion I've come to given the lack of conclusive studies either way is to treat artificially sweetened drinks the same way as sugar drinks, whatever that means to you.
    Which of course makes them problematic given their marketing as a healthy alternative and a lower tax alternative for business.

I don't doubt that artificial sweeteners cause problems, but so does 9 teaspoons of sugar per can of Coke.
  • I had not eaten any.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Where you getting them lad? Local East European shop sells em here and the bags are way more full.
  • This was Ilford a while back. Was genuinely loling at the cheek of it when I opened them.
  • You could've got in the Ilford Recorder with a compo face on.  That was your big chance.
  • ‘Contents may settle in transit’
  • 'May contain traces of crisps'.
  • Quantum mechanics says it's your own fault for opening them and peering inside.
  • It's probably just as well they don't teach quantum mechanics at law school. It's an unsettling thought.
  • They don't want to let the cat out of the bag.
  • Kow wrote:

But this is the main reason why I eat (or try to eat) healthy and keep up an exercise rourtine - so that I can enjoy my life.  Can't go climbing mountains or play tennis with my son if I'm too unhealthy.

Plus I'm hooked on being able to see my abs and serratus.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Climbing and tennis aren't fun though m8 you've been conditioned to think so pop 3 edibles and lounge on the sofa laughing at YouTube memes that's the height of life
  • poprock wrote:
    ‘Contents may settle in transit’

Beat me to it!

To address the first post, have Weetabix really got smaller though?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!