Food Adulteration - The Great Shrinkage
‹ Previous1234
  • Bought a box of Weetabix recently. Opened it and I almost recoiled in horror when I saw how the once proud breakfast cereal biscuit had been reduced to a simpering wafer-like slither of wheat.

Unscrewed a bottle of Pepsi. Poured it into my glass. Nearly spat the contents straight back out again upon discovering that it's classic fizzy taste had been diluted beyond all recognition with artificial sweeteners, stripped of all it's sugary goodness.

And don't get me started about the dwindling size of M&S's beer-battered Cod. I'm convinced that when they freeze them in packing factory, they must also employ some weird miniaturization ray to artificially shrink the fish so they can use smaller boxes.

We must stop this rampant food adulteration before it consumes us all!

It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Serious emasculatory vibes
  • Artificial sweeteners have ruined most of the soft drinks, and studies have shown they evoke the same effects on the body as sugar, but they have the added benefit of causing cancer in large doses. I bought Butterkist microwave popcorn recently and it was beyond disgusting. Absolutely sodden with artificial sweetener. Rank.
  • On the flip side, I am criminally addicted to coke zero. Think they've actually went back to cocaine tbh.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    ZMM wrote:
    Artificial sweeteners have ruined most of the soft drinks, and studies have shown they evoke the same effects on the body as sugar, but they have the added benefit of causing cancer in large doses. I bought Butterkist microwave popcorn recently and it was beyond disgusting. Absolutely sodden with artificial sweetener. Rank.

There's absolutely no good evidence for this, but sure, keep thinking that.
    Do aspartame and other artificial sweeteners cause cancer?

There is no convincing evidence that artificial sweeteners such as aspartame cause cancer.

You might have seen stories about artificial sweeteners and cancer on social media or the news. But studies in people do not show a link between aspartame and cancer.

Ingredients in food and drink in the UK are tightly regulated. The European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) have set an acceptable daily intake (ADI) for aspartame. It equals around 14 cans of diet fizzy drink for a person who weighs around 70kg. This is more cans than most people would have in one day.

Does diet soda or diet pop cause cancer?
    No, artificial sweeteners in diet or zero-sugar fizzy drinks won't increase your risk of cancer.

Some drink companies use artificial sweeteners in place of sugar. This is because artificial sweeteners often have less calories than sugar, or no calories.

For a healthy balanced diet, make water your first choice. Try adding fresh lemon to it for flavour!

There are many cancer myths, including artificial sweeteners, that haven’t been proven to cause cancer. However, there are proven causes of cancer, and things you can do to reduce your risk.
  • I will very easily quaff an 8-pack of CZ in a day, probably more if I'm bored.
  • I don't willingly ingest preservatives, emulsifiers, sweeteners, and I never will. They cause inflammation in the body because we cannot process them. Why would we be able to? Literally no part of our evolutionary journey have we been eating aspartame. Unless it was in the primordial ooze, you say? Maybe Big Ooze created it.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    That's a perfectly fine stance, but don't say it causes cancer when there's no good evidence to say it does.
  • If you are worried about health benefits you won't be touching any sugar water drinks.

Yeah they cause inflammation. Along with a load of other ingredients that appear in the full sugar versions as well.

If your argument is that they are sold as healthy then I agree. If it's that these drinks are now suddenly unhealthy then nah, always were. Putting the highly refined sugar back in isn't going to save you.
  • The most processed thing I regularly consume is booze. It's an approach.
  • Oh and the only Butterkist popcorn I can find with sweeteners in is their Sweet & Salty which also has emulsifiers so not sure why you were eating it anyway.

Most use about 6 different types of sugar, all of which are ultra processed.
  • That's a perfectly fine stance, but don't say it causes cancer when there's no good evidence to say it does.

They don't not cause cancer. Like them there microplastics
  • Stevie is the sweetener of choice
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Mobile phones don't not cause cancer either.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I used to drink Coke Zero but now I drink own label cola zero. While it's just as shit, it's a least cheap. But anyway, I'm trying to cut as much processed food out of my diet as possible and I've found that if I knock the fizzy drinks on the head for a while then the craving actually disappears, so they definitely have some addictive chemical in them.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    ZMM wrote:
    Stevie is the sweetener of choice

You could say it's a wonder sweetener.

• I wish I could drink these zero soft drinks, but they just taste like shit. Apple Tango no longer seems to have a sugar version, just this zero shite. All those moments will be lost in time, like Tango in rain...
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Light tastes like shit. Zero tastes better than full sugar, at least for Coke anyway. I won't drink any full sugar drinks any more. I'll choose nothing if that's the only other choice.
  • Had a can of Apple Tango this week, immensely disappointing.
  • I might try some coke zero, don't think I've ever had it. Never been a fan of diet fizzy drinks so always just go full fat when I get the craving. It's like the coke version of Pepsi Max then, just a second sugar free offering that tastes different?
  • Yeah, it's diet coke but nowhere near as watery tasting, much closer to the OG full fat but still a bit away.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    The most processed thing I regularly consume is booze. It's an approach.

Myman.gif
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Coke might as well be cocaine really. It's just addictive shit that wrecks your body and keeps you going back for more. I think we're just so conditioned to drinking it all our lives we don't even notice that it's rotten piss that tastes like nothing.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I think a whole lot of what we eat is just artificial chemicals designed to trick our brains into thinking what we're eating is in some way nice (the food equivalent of prodding a section of our brain with an electrode). I mean you'd really have to be a lunatic to eat Pringles. But we do
  • I had a regular sugar Coke the other day for first time in many many years and it literally made my teeth and gums feel like they were shrinking from an astringent? Somehow? It was familiar.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I'll bang anything in my body, we're eternally heading towards death anyway so I'm gonna enjoy it while I can. Stuff me full of utter shit.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I could drink a kale, watercress and avocado fucking smoothie instead but am not a nonce like
  • Kow wrote:
    I think a whole lot of what we eat is just artificial chemicals designed to trick our brains into thinking what we're eating is in some way nice (the food equivalent of prodding a section of our brain with an electrode). I mean you'd really have to be a lunatic to eat Pringles. But we do

100% this.
    And to eat it fast, repetitively and without thinking.

When you slow down you realise it's all kinda samey and with little depth. It's either fatty, salty or sweet mostly beige-brown mush with little else going on.

It's tough to quit though. There's billions of dollars poured into making us want it.
  • I'd love to get some folks to do a blind taste test on all these different coke variations, or even just put the same coke in all of them and see people swear they can taste the difference.

Anyway, coke makes me mad thirsty whenever I have it, which is rare. It's not a refreshing drink for me.
  • I'm confident I could tell each brand and variant blindfolded, with ease.

Warra flex for me.
‹ Previous1234

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!