Let's make a gaming PC
  • That Cooler Master case is shite for airflow btw.
  • For DDR5 vs DDR4, it depends but there's mostly not much difference -

Keep in mind this vid is from December 2021 and the prices have since changed so the value conclusion will be different, and there may be more games that benefit in different ways perhaps.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    My case: https://www.bequiet.com/en/case/1854

Just over £100 here: https://www.awd-it.co.uk/be-quiet-pure-base-500dx-black-midi-tower-case-bgw37.html

It comes with three quiet case fans but cos I’m an RGB tart I swapped em out.
  • I'll have a look at that, cheers.

I have just brought the PC I got for my birthday in 2005 back to life. It still has the correct date, but the time was off by half an hour or so.

Based on the browser history, this broke in November 2016. In fact I've just found I have UFC 205 on here and WWE Raw from 28/11/2016.
  • This seems to have got decent reviews case wise.

AWD-IT will update the BIOS on the motherboard for a tenner. This needs to be done to support the processer, so money well spent to avoid bricking it or not?
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Looks alright that, got the good intakes and exhausts at the back and top, should be good for airflow.
  • Another case that I looked at, the first video I found had in the thumbnail "DO NOT BUY THIS CASE".

Looking at the RAM, it seems like DDR5 has come down in price, so whilst it's not equivalent prices, it's cheaper than it was. It also seems like while there was negligible difference for gaming, it's more pronounced for video editing, so it makes sense to do it for me. Just checking now for best prices.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yeah it’s come down massively. I paid £120 for 16gb last year, added another 16gb a month ago for £60.

If looking to control costs just ensure you always buy in pairs (2x8gb for 16gb for example) due to the speed efficiencies gained from the dual channel setup.
  • Right, after a bit of fuckery, I've ordered this.

CPU: Intel Core i5-13600K 3.5 GHz 14-Core Processor  (£299.00 @ Scan.co.uk) 
    CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler  (£39.00 @ Computer Orbit) 
    Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B660-F GAMING WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  (£189.99 @ AWD-IT) 
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory  (£109.49 @ Amazon UK) 
    Video Card: MSI VENTUS 3X 8GD6X OC GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8 GB Video Card  (£309.98 @ Scan.co.uk) 
    Case: CiT Raider AIR ATX Mid Tower Case  (£50.94 @ Box Limited) 
    Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower XT 775 W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For £0.00) 
    Custom: Integral V Series SSD (V2) 2TB (Purchased For £64.96)
    Total: £999.39
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-09-13 00:06 BST+0100

The original RAM I picked turned out to be from Amazon US, so weeks to arrive, and possible import fee. Fuck that.
    Changed to a different one. By the time I had ordered everything else, it had jumped from £108 to £122. Fuck that.
    Found the exact same one but Intel not AMD, for £109. Ordered.

The GPU seems to be on offer as it was telling me it should be £321.48, but I only paid £309.98.

I'm not sure how to select a different retailer for the list thing, so I've edited it for what I actually used and price paid. Should have it all by the weekend.
  • Should be a nice little system, that.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Nice now just need to add your cable ties and mini tool kit with clippers.

I watched this video and got quite anal about the cable management. It’s the worst best part of the build.

• Evri have my case, so it looks like I'll be making an open air PC.
  • So, I've got everything... except the motherboard. I've since found out this is a rather key component.

I paid AWD to flash the BIOS for me, so I figured this could delay it, but I've still not heard anything, and the order status just says "processed". This is what that means apparently:
    When you place an order with us, it will be marked as processed to confirm that we've accepted your order. Please allow up to 2 working days for us to prepare and ship your order.

We do request that if you have ordered a PC, then you wait the chosen build time before requesting updates. This allows us to concentrate on resolving all customer queries on a timely basis.

So I'd not chased it yet, as I ordered it late on Tuesday, but I've also now noticed that it's showing as out of stock. I don't really want to wait for them to get one in, flash the bios and then send it out to me, but I suppose I could have got one of the last ones they had. I wondered about the build time thing, but I checked an actual PC build and it shows on the order page, and there isn't that option for the motherboards, so I guess it doesn't apply.

I think I'll chase them up if I don't get an update tomorrow.
  • I'm beginning to think that the live chat person was making things up when he said it should be with me today.
  • So it appears the culprit is Royal Mail. They've had the parcel since the 13th, which means the shop actually sent it out the day after I ordered it. 

With Royal Mail Tracked 48, it's taken them 7 days to send it 60 miles in the wrong direction, with it currently sitting in a depot between Birmingham and Leicester. They claim though "We expect to deliver it on Friday 22 September 2023 between 10:59am - 2:59pm". 

In fairness though, it doesn't actually say it will be delivered to me.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Can we rename the thread to Let's wait to make a gaming PC?
  • 20230922-112104.jpg

It's going to contain a brick isn't it?
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    You started building yet Dante?
  • I'd like to buy an AMD GPU - Nvidia are a bit cuntish, but Nvidia software like DLSS is just too compelling. AMD aren't even catching up, they're making progress but Nvidia are accelerating away. 

Not sure how much a series 5 is going to be but they'll take the piss.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • b0r1s wrote:
    You started building yet Dante?

father-ted-brick.gif
  • I'd like to buy an AMD GPU - Nvidia are a bit cuntish, but Nvidia software like DLSS is just too compelling. AMD aren't even catching up, they're making progress but Nvidia are accelerating away.  Not sure how much a series 5 is going to be but they'll take the piss.

nVidia doesn't even pretend to be interested in the consumer gpu market anymore, they seem to be to busy making billions with ai. If this continues into the next generation of gpu's, AMD will likely grab the lower and mid end of the gpu market. nVidia will be happy to dominate the hi end and server side of ai things. 

Not sure how long it will take for AMD to catch up with ai/rt/pt though. It's on MS and Sony's next gen console wishlist if current leaks are anything to go by. Assuming they stay with amd for bc/fc/cost reasons.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • I don't think it's true to say they're not interested. They can do both as the company grows. The AI side has made them a ton of cash but they'll need to stay in the hardware game, and not just with AI specific chips. 

AMD are doing the rt thing but what position are Nvidia going to be in when the next consoles ship? The tech gap in AI is bigger than the norm because of the nature of AI. A slight advantage tends to steamroll into a much wider gap, and Nvidia had a massive lead to begin with. 

For sure we're heading towards a less transistor better software solution for all computing, and I can't see how AMD can ever catch up on that side.
  • It'll be interesting to see how gaming goes. I think at first it'll move more toward cloud processing as internet connections improve and I'm sure AI will do amaze things with TCP packaging but I think it might swing the other way once the software solutions are so optimised cheap chips will do a lot. 

Maybe your tv will have the power for all your gaming needs.
  • In all seriousness, I have not just started building, but finished building it. I can say with great confidence now that if you ever think "I'll build my own PC", it's a terrible idea, and you should just pay someone else to do it :p

I put it together first outside of the case, to make sure everything worked, which it did after I realised I'd not actually plugged the motherboard cables in. I hadn't put the SSD in yet, but we will come back to that.

frankenstein-its-alive.gif

Putting it in the case was reasonably easy, bar the screw in the top corner. If I'd had an Intel stock cooler this might have been easier, but the Peerless Assassin is massive in comparison, so I didn't have much room to work with, and the screw kept falling off the screwdriver, or flipping upside down. That done, I realised that because the graphics card was so long, it was covering up the SATA ports and given that I have an SSD and a HDD that require SATA, I had to remove that to be able to plug the cables in.

By the by, having the power connectors on top of the GPU makes it difficult to have a tidy case. I could have run them straight up from the PSU fairly easily, but given I have a back panel I can hide most of the cables in (never had one like this before) and these are big thick yellow ones, I managed to find a route where they would fit going behind, and out through a hole just behind the GPU. Which I then had to unplug so I could remove it to get at the SATA ports.

BLOG-cablemanagment5.jpg

Now remember the motherboard cables I mentioned? The need to be plugged in at the top left of the board, just next to that tricky screw. The PSU is at the bottom of the case. I could find precisely one route to get the cable to reach, but it meant that I was feeding in the plugs the wrong way round, and it was an absolute pain in the arse to get it to twist around so that I could attempt to plug it in, in a tiny space I could barely get my hand into, and then couldn't see anything so had to try and do it by feel. What made this worse is that it was a 4 and an 8 connection, and the one that split into 4 went off in the wrong direction, but also wasn't particularly long. Where it split was absolutely tiny, meaning even when I could maneuver the bastard thing into position, the unused plug would prevent me from pushing it into place because it caught on fuck knows what. I didn't have an exact time, but I think plugging in this single cable took about 2 bloody hours.

But whatever. It was done. But the case fans weren't spinning, just the CPU fans. And the BIOS was giving me an error message about the CPU fan, even though it was spinning. Turns out I'd plugged it into the OPT socket rather than the main one. This is at the top of the case, between the cooler and the case edge. I managed this with only slight injury. It then took me about 10 minutes to realise that I'd not connected the SATA connection from the fan controller, and this was why the case fans weren't working, not that I'd possibly bent the pins for the ARGB socket.

hqdefault.jpg

Time for the SSD. I wasn't quite sure of this, because I'd bought it for my old PC, and it seemed to just stop working, but the old PC was holding together with spit and hope at this point, so I didn't know if it was the drive of the PC. And it didn't boot. The BIOS gave me an error message. Something about GPT header corruption. I had no idea what that was, but it tracked with the drive maybe having failed with that corruption bit. Tried a HDD from the old old computer I'd been testing, not even recognised. Ah, that was Windows 7 I remember, and I seem to remember having read something about this board wanting windows 10. So I instead pulled the SSD from my old PC, which I'd rather have not done as that was still working for web browsing. This gave the same error

Now given that I know this SSD works because I'd taken it out of a computer that I'd just shut down a minute before, this suggested something else at play. To Google (on my phone because I'd now taken the old PC out of action), and people were suggesting that you needed to re-install Windows. Because I had a USB for Windows, and not a disc, I apparently could only do a full wipe, so I noped out of that. Fuck it, lets try the other SSD again. Installed Windows fresh, and booted to the same error. Redo, still same error. Googling variations on GPT header corruption, I landed on this page.

190348924.jpg

Again, didn't really understand it, but went into BIOS to look for some kind of setting I could change. I can't actually remember what I changed. It was in the advanced settings, and something to do with booting and I think I set to auto? Doesn't matter though, because this now loaded the setup wizard. I do not know why the SSD is now working. But it is.

Despite being wired in to the router, it didn't detect a network, so I did the setup without one, and had to select that I didn't have a Windows key because it couldn't validate it. We got an actual, honest to God, Windows desktop. Still no network though. After some buggering about I established I did indeed have the cable that was coming from the router, and this cable was plugged in to the router. So it should be working. I unplugged it from the router, plugged it straight back in and I got a network connection. I fucking hate computers.

I-Am-the-IT-Guy-of-Our-House-gq.gif

After several restarts to install all the Windows updates, we were finally done. Just needed to enter the Windows Key. Which was for Windows 10 Professional, and I had installed Home. You cannot, for reasons that I'm sure make sense to Microsoft, activate it with this and then update the version of Windows to have whatever those features are. You have to reinstall Windows entirely. So I did the only sensible thing at about 9 hours in and bought a Windows 10 Home key.

I then put the HDD in the bay at the bottom, and realised that to screw it in with any reasonable sized screwdriver, this needs to be done before you put the PSU in. Fortunately the attachment for my cordless screwdriver fit, and gave me enough purchase to screw in the HDD. And with that, we were done. Just needed to put the glass side on, and move it from the living room to the office and connect it up. Here it is in all its glory:

ezgif-com-optimize.gif
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    All sounds simple and normal.

Nice one. Now set those lights to a decent colour.
  • And just one colour.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Not that I’m building a new PC but I really like this build:

• Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Dante splurging all that cash for hentai dating sims my man
  • I admire Dante's commitment to being a fucking idiot.
  • Hmmm, unicorn vomit.......
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!