Let's make a gaming PC
  • I don't trust doing it on my phone. That must be the issue.
  • I'm in!

Might have been my fault.
  • Was it caps lock?
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Nah, down to username not being the display name or whatever nonsense.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Swapped my CPU this morning, always a nervous moment popping in the chip, all good, but now I've got a creaking sound coming from the AIO. Looks like an issue with MSI AIO's and how they are made. Any suggestions on how to get rid of the noise (without buying a new AIO obviously).
    Spoiler:
  • Is that a liquid cooler?
  • AIO's are liquid coolers yeah. How old is the cooler? AIOs have like a 5ish year lifespan apparently, the reliability and noise issues are why I cannot be fucked with them and just stick with massive air coolers.
  • It might just be an air bubble caught in the pump or something, maybe it could be fixed by just tilting or jiggling the system a bit?

• Throw the cooler in the bin is my advice. My Ryzen is silent with just the stock heatsink and fan.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    AIO's are liquid coolers yeah. How old is the cooler? AIOs have like a 5ish year lifespan apparently, the reliability and noise issues are why I cannot be fucked with them and just stick with massive air coolers.

It's nearly 2 years old, doing some digging, Reddit are really down with the AIOs from MSI, apparently it's a design flaw. I can't stick with this noise, so think I'm going to switch to an air cooler. Any recommendations? Needs to fit an i5-13600KF. 

I'm currently getting around 60 degrees with the AIO, so something that could achieve the same would be good.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Throw the cooler in the bin is my advice. My Ryzen is silent with just the stock heatsink and fan.

Yeah, that ain't gonna work with these newer Intel chips, they draw quite a lot of power - 125W up to 184W, though probably the lower end for gaming.
  • What case do you have? Some thinner cases won't support the really big air coolers just because of the clearance between the mobo and side panel.
  • I'm team Ryzen. Yeah you need another motherboard but it's worth it.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    What case do you have? Some thinner cases won't support the really big air coolers just because of the clearance between the mobo and side panel.

I got the Be Quiet Pure Base 500DX - can clear a 120mm fan easily probably up to 135mm
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I'm team Ryzen. Yeah you need another motherboard but it's worth it.

Ain't gonna happen, I just bought and fitted a new i5, which is, after lots of research, about the right sweet spot for my system now.
  • Noctua and Be Quiet make some of the nicest big air coolers, but there's plenty of relatively cheaper alternatives out there that might do just as well. If you really value a quiet computer then get the biggest one you can afford, otherwise you could probably make do with a mid-size design. 

Nice thing about some bigger manufacturers like Noctua is that they're really good at supporting future socket types, and will even send you mounting kits for free, I know that's the case with Noctua anyway. And air coolers never really go bad, the fans might fail or get noisy but that's a cheap replacement. You could potentially use the same air cooler for a couple of decades if the requirements don't change much.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I'm a big fan (pardon the pun) of BeQuiet, I have their fans in the case and they are great.

Will do some measuring and may come back with some more questions, thanks Gurt!
  • The datasheet for that case indicates the max CPU cooler height is 190mm, which should be more than enough for anything.
  • The Dark Rock Pro 5 looks like it's probably a solid choice. Noctua are supposed to be finally bringing out the next generation of the venerable and still very capable D15 this year, but it's been delayed so many times that I wouldn't want to bet on it.

You'll want to double check socket mounting compatibility with whatever you get, but you'll probably be fine.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    That would have been easier than me opening up the case and measuring it with a ruler :-D

I'm debating between these two:

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/FRYLrH/be-quiet-dark-rock-4-cpu-cooler-bk021

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/F3gzK8/be-quiet-dark-rock-pro-4-505-cfm-cpu-cooler-bk022

I'm leaning on the pro, it's only £11 difference and I always prefer quieter if I can.
  • Get the Pro 5, it's newer and has some improvements for ease of mounting and other things IIRC.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    I can't stick with this noise, so think I'm going to switch to an air cooler. Any recommendations? Needs to fit an i5-13600KF.  I'm currently getting around 60 degrees with the AIO, so something that could achieve the same would be good.

db8b0baf31c273b5b9cbcdfa8e2b41fd.jpg
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Get the Pro 5, it's newer and has some improvements for ease of mounting and other things IIRC.

I went with the Elite in the end, it was another £15 on top but it had pretty lights and should handle any CPU I upgrade to in the future.
  • If a CPU requires a specialized cooler it should ship with one.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Result from our tax dodging Amazon. They have just accepted to give me a full refund after owning the AIO nearly 2 years. Result. £75 back so the new cooler effectively cost me £25 to upgrade.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    @GurtTractor - thanks for the advice, as always.

I'm never buying an AIO again. Even before the creaking started, I used to get this whine sound, which I always assumed as the GPU, but nope it was the AIO, with this air cooler, I can hardly hear a thing.

At rest this cooler is keeping the CPU at about 27c, I'm currently stress testing it with Cinebench and the hottest it's getting is 70c, most cores are in the 60s. 

And it look pretty too :-)

IMG-9216.jpg
  • I like the colour.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I like a bit of RGB but keep it to just the orange, not a fan of the unicorn vomit.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Steampunk vibe

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!