Let's make a gaming PC
  • I just bought a new laptop as I haven't bothered with PC gaming for a couple of years.

It's been quite nice so far.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Same here. Get yourself some VR kit and kiss the world goodbye.
  • Which is better Oculus or Vive?
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I believe Vive but I was, and still am, blown away by oculus. SG will tell you to wait, and he’s right, as new kit is coming out from everyone.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Vive was £500 and for someone who enjoyed, but wasn’t massively bothered to setup, PSVR, I didn’t want to risk putting that much into it so went for the Oculus at £349. I believe the Valve Index is what everyone thinks is going to be the next big thing.
  • I might play the waiting game then, see what the new kit is like.
  • I see those bastards, shining out the back venting. To the BIOS and OFF I say!!

Those are a handy reminder at night for when I've forgotten to switch the thing off at the psu.

• cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    hahaha
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    I'd say the touch controllers swing it over to Rift for now but you can spend oodles of money and get some nice Vive kit. 

Rift S will be a lot easier to set up and still have nice controllers; one cable to plug into your 'pooter no sensors base stations or nowt. Relatively cheap still at £400 and quite possibly the most user friendly of the PC stuff.
    Oculus Quest will be cheap enough and all in one, no wires, all portable so you can take it to Ninty rooftop parties and stuff. Also starting at £400. 
    They're both announced formally at F8 the Facebook conference and probably starting to be sold tomorrow. 

The Valve Index may be the second coming of his Holiness with nice 'trollers and new screens but I have worries on the costs. If you've got a Vive already then it's a bit cheaper as some bits (Lighthouse base stations you plug into the power sockets and magic VR is trackable) are usable from that. I don't and the base stations currently retail for £125 each.. but it's Valve so they'll probably just chuck em in at cost as they're really nice and friendly.. probably.. *sigh*  
    Full reveal is also imminent. I hope it's crap because I don't want to spend all the monies to get cool crushy crushy finger tracking 'trollers and snazzy new wider angle screens. 
    Unfortunately... early rumours suggest it's not crap obvs.. *sigh* 

PSVR is great at what it does, has some fantastic games all of its' own and has all the numbers sold whilst also proving the demand is just about there for some early AA/AAA punts perhaps and will hopefully be all kinds of betterer for PS5. I'd expect  PSVR 2.0 to have some tracking like the new Rift S with cameras plastered all over the headset and one cable to connect  to make it play nicer in a front room.

tl/dr very much a wait and see time for PC VR. Give it a month at least and far more stuff will be known or reviewed about everything.
    GT: isanbard PSN: DAQster DS-FC: 0361-6861-4525 AC: Bumdirt
  • Valve Index reveal is 2 days away. TWO DAYS.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    It'd still be pretty handy if it was a bit shit SG.. it's not gonna be cheep cheep for me.. it might be shit right? Maybe?  Or like a cool grand for the headset so that'd be nice and easy to not spend on. 

Fingers crossed for really really expensive or just a bit shit.

Any other option gets unfortunate..
    GT: isanbard PSN: DAQster DS-FC: 0361-6861-4525 AC: Bumdirt
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I’m going with £750 all in. Which allows me not to feel too bad about my Rift purchase. I think it will be great though. Then next year when it’s £500 I’ll be selling my current kit.
  • I have a feeling it's going to be amazing and expensive. £750 sounds reasonable, but it's quite hard to assess how good it's going to be. It's amazing there have been no leaks at all since those early build pics.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Not really gaming related but can't afford a new laptop and don't want to spend much on this one as it won't last much longer. So any good deals on external hard drives, and would running a Web and SQL server from one be ridiculously slow, USB3. Would also move game and music library to there as well if it doesn't make them unplayable
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • COMPUTEX_KEYNOTE_DRAFT_FOR_PREBRIEF.26.05.19-page-034.jpg

New Ryzen processors announced, releasing on the 7th of July. Looking very tasty indeed, will be interesting to see how Intel will respond. AMD will also be launching a 16 core beast at some point too, probably saving it to counter whatever Intel come up with.

IPC looks to be substantially improved, 15% according to them. Latencies also reduced, which could be very good for gaming and things like music production. The current set of Ryzen processors are already excellent deals for the amount of performance that you get, these new ones are really pushing the amount of performance that's available to the average consumer, incredible for anyone who wants to do creative work as well as gamers, streamers an such.
  • Cool. I think I’m a year away from upgrading stuff so decent competition for intel should help. Haven’t got a strategy yet, maybe repurpose my current thing into an HTPC or something.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    If it was a different month, I'd swear these were an April Fools.

https://www.razer.com/gaming-accessories/kitty-ears-for-razer-kraken
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)

• Linus is all excited about amd, ryzen3 and navi. AMD Ryzing?
    Intel has hit a brick wall with the end of Moore's law and AMD is about to outmaneuvre them big time. Finally competition is back and consumers will be the big winners. Which means good news for pc heads and console gamers (PS5/bone2).

Coreteks was right after all.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Yeah, Intel has been in the position of having to respond to AMD for a while now, and with this new generation of Ryzen it looks like AMD really will have a pretty strong advantage. Intel still has more market share overall, but with their 14nm shortages and 10nm delays that won't last forever. Great news for us lot.
  • Does Quest do crossplay with Vive?
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    #4thestreamers

Yup. I was in a Razer store in Taipei, and they had a looped video of iJustine unboxing the pink (sorry, "quartz") range of accessories.

I don't think it'll work in Razer's favour. The gamers who like the brand now do so because of the "edgy" aesthetic. This includes men and women. Women who aren't into gaming won't be convinced to play PUBG because there's a pink keyboard now. And I'd wager a lot of women into games will find the idea of "pink means it's for girls" insulting.

Dunno. Maybe most people will continue to buy the black and green stuff, and the pink will just be another colour option, like the white range. Maybe I'm just bitter because I hate pink. ;)
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)

• It's seriously fucking awesome that a motherboard that you bought over two years ago can support 8/12/16 core CPUs released this year (assuming the 16 core AM4 Ryzen comes out this year...). Never been cheaper to get into some serious multithreaded performance.
  • The 16 core AM4 ryzen has just been announced, going to be a monster...

mbgvkw0.png
  • Nice! Amd is where it's at when going for a new laptop/pc.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • I think the 16 core is being released in September, so might be gunning for that one.. That said I think for general use and gaming the 8 and 12 cores will probably perform better most of the time.

There's new GPUs arriving soon too, hopefully the reviews will be positive and they'll perform comparably to Nvidia's stuff. One new thing they mentioned at the E3 conference was an 'Anti-Lag' feature with the new graphics cards, which will apparently make a big dent in the input latency. I'll have to wait for independant testing, but if it's legit then I would definitely be interested.
  • Price drops announced for the new AMD GPUs coming out on the 7th, to counter Nvidia's recent 'Super' release of the RTX cards (10-15% faster than non Super counterparts). It's not clear whether AMD intended to do this beforehand, but it looks like they've really been forced to in order to be competitive. Apparently it's the first time ever that a GPU lineup's price has been cut before a launch, it's certainly very rare to see anyway. They won't be competing in the high end with Nvidia, but hopefully the new cards will be solid performers in the midrange.

Both the new GPUs and the new 7nm Ryzen CPUs will be released on the 7th, with review embargos lifting then. Going to be fascinating to see how it all stacks up. On the CPU side AMD is pretty much set to take the lead, GPUs will still be lacking with performance/£ behind a couple years from where it really should be, a shame. But CPUs have never been better really, overall it will be a great time for PC building.
  • nVidia seem to enjoy pissing on AMD launches. They're getting freakishly good at it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!