Just given up on...
  • Spec Ops was awesome.

It was indeed. More people should play it. My COD loving friend laughed when I berated him for dismissing it. Some people.
  • Chief wrote:
    I didn't think it was as amazing as people said. Felt far too unsubtle in its message and was extremely obvious with its "twist". Opinions and all that, though.

That's because it wasn't really a twist.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • It was supposed to be, but the poor and blatantly obvious storytelling buggered everything up.
  • But that's like saying Fight Club wasn't such a good film because the "twist" could be seen from light years away. It's still great despite that.
  • Sorry, I just can't agree. I thought Spec Ops was nothing new and tried too hard to be hard hitting, instead coming off as clumsy.

It was an average game as far as I'm concerned, in every way possible except for its visuals/setting.

Like I said earlier: opinions and all that.
  • Sorry, wasn't attacking your opinion or anything if that's what it seemed like. If you think the whole game was average; fair enough. I thought you were saying it was average/overrated just because you saw the "twist" a mile away, ie judging the game on just one small aspect.

Gameplay was indeed very average but I enjoyed the character exchanges and development.
  • Not at all, bud. Just a healthy exchange of opinions going on here! :)

I think I may have been a victim of the hype.
  • I just fucking love Russians.

хорошо привет
  • Hold the phone. There's a twist in Fight Club?
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I enjoyed 2033. Even read the book which I gotta say was a right old struggle. Got Last Light sitting on the 360 hard drive and will get to before I eventually join the new gen.
  • g.man wrote:
    Hold the phone. There's a twist in Fight Club?
    Brad Pitt saw dead people.

There's a chance I may be confusing it with something else...
  • Nier. Only because I just bought a PS4 and that's eating up my time. I'll probably watch all the cutscenes on YouTube though as I want to know what happens in the story, which was my main reason for playing, as the gameplay was pretty crappy and the design lazy, to be honest.
    Gamertag, PSN, NNID: mikemsp            3DS code: 3668 - 8117 - 9395

Currently playing: Bone
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Webbins wrote:
    Metro 2033 was very good indeed. I didn't even have that much of an issue with the so called wonky shooty mechanics. Atmospheric, immersive and traded progression over skittish chaptering, fizz, bang and whistles. It felt very old school for its time, in that it attempted to tie more of a story and legend to its game length than some hastily drafted popcorn shooter. The benefit of a book I guess.

This.
    All this love for Metro. I just don't get it. I don't mind a shooter here and there but Metro just isn't a good example.
    Dark,

Because you're underground.

dingy,

Because you're underground. And there's been a nuclear war.
    clunky

Because you're Pleb McNobody, not Hero McShinytits. The first gun you get is called 'the bastard' because it's shit, but better than trying to punch the monsters to death. There's no laser-guided x-ray sniper rifles.

and stale.

(Because you're underground...? ;))

Nah, far from it. There were always two or three different solutions to each section (stealth it? kill 'em all? lure em away, one by one? distract them with grenades? should I risk taking out the lights?), even though the progression from location to location was linear, the gameplay was almost sandbox.

Probably the only true survival horror we've had in ages. One of my games of the generation.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Ugh, not Metro again. Shudder. Hate to recall how bored I got with the game.
  • Quite. It's got a real underground following.

Sorry.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Ass Crud IV

Just stuck it on for the first time in ages, first story mission I get is a night time stealth mission where I have to avoid circles on the radar. In a fucking boat. Who thought these were a good idea?
  • It's pronounced radaaarrgh actually.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Better a quitter than one of those people who spend tens of hours finishing a game they don't like. They're just weird.
  • AJ wrote:
    Better a quitter than one of those people who spend tens of hours finishing a game they don't like. They're just weird.

I will have that last fucking achievement on SvR 2009, no matter how awful it is.
  • Ass Crud IV Just stuck it on for the first time in ages, first story mission I get is a night time stealth mission where I have to avoid circles on the radar. In a fucking boat. Who thought these were a good idea?
    Just picked this up this week second hand from CeX.
    And this type of game illustrates perfectly why I will never be sucked into this full price digital only future. I can't imagine living with myself if I had permanently bought this at full price.

Anyways...
    I read a couple of reviews and thought it sounds good, I had skipped the last 3-4 titles as they frustrated more than entertained and I liked the sound of the ship stuff so I thought i'd give it a go.
    I've put about 15hrs into it over 5 days and I was enjoying it, but then I woke up this morning and I have two things I can do today, one is paint some metal garden furniture that is really old and dishevelled and two is to play this as a reward later.
    I realised I'd rather paint the chairs.

The shippy bits are rather good. Travelling the high seas with my little butt-kicker is quite rewarding, I usually pick a target, more often than not considerably larger than me, fire off a couple of long distance mortar shots then pile in with the foreguns, sweep down the side of the ship and give it a good old 13 cannon broadside, then circle around and pummel the unfortunate sod. The shouts of your crew and the cannon smoke are all very evocative but once you have disabled the ship the trouble starts. 
    The melee combat is terrible, half the time the counter button doesnt seem to register, you get attacked by 4+ opponents from all directions, the camera is too tight so you often get insta/surprise attacked, the combos take far too long to finish off the enemy and it's just not the slightest bit fluid.
    Then if you are attacking a larger ship you have to not only kill the crew but you also need to complete a secondary objective like climb the main mast and cut the flag down. This is where it falls apart again.
    The free running/climbing is still fucking terrible.
    The games consistency in where you have to press freerun to proceed or where you have to push the jump button to jump or simply push up is completely fucked.
    Sometimes you just press forward and freerun to jump gaps, sometimes you need to both and press jump, sometimes you need to jump up, sometimes you need to press up and jump. It's all a frigging mess.
    The responsiveness to your commands is sluggish and there is a bit of auto aim to the freerunning that seems to want to magnetise you to every fucking ledge or stack of crates that will actually hinder your movement instead of aid you.
    After failing a timed chase story mission for the 4th time because the game had given you 3 possible routes forward, 2 of which would actually hinder your progress and the, frankly, seemingly random freerun decision making engine decides to make me jump at an oblique fucking angle to the direction I'm actually pushing the stick, I decided to give up.
    My god even just letting go of the ships wheel and getting down to your cabin (something you will be doing a lot) that is literally 5 feet away is an obtusely frustrating experience. Once while quickly trying to jump from the rail I was perched on to get the floor I ended up super leaping so far that I ended up triggering the auto lift that sent me to the top of the mast, from there you choice is to jump into the sea or slowly randomly climb your way back down to the deck, either way its actually quicker to smash your brains in by hitting the deck and reload.

How Ubisoft have, even by accident, never brought themselves to improve this freerunning lark is beyond me. It's the core of the game, get it right, make it fun and fluid before adding all the other shit in.

As for the rest of the game, it needs to die and it's not a Ubisoft problem per se it's just a symptom of the lack of imagination present in the big releases nowadays. The game is as far as I can tell almost entirely made up of fetch quests. Almost everything is a fetch quest. Every side mission (bar the assassinations) and some of the main story quests so far are fetch quests. fetch, fetch, fetch.
    Want a new suit, fetch these stones found scattered across the world map, 20+ of them.
    want to make amends for inadvertently getting lots of assassins killed, I've marked 30+ places on the map for you to go to.
    Hey, look at this cool set of armour in this commandeered house. It needs 4 keys to open the door.
    You need to free your crew from the evil slavers, the crew have been separated into ones and twos over this map and you have to go and release 15 of them.
    Fuck off.
    As the evil slaver, why would you logically separate them? just put them all in one big group.
    I'm sick to death of devs using fetch quests to pad out their uninventive games.

I paid £12 for this, its going back today to exchange for something probably as equally unimaginative so thank god I didnt pay the quite frankly obscene digital price for this and have it sitting there on my HD mocking me forever.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • bibidybobbidyboo
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @martingwilliams
    Xbox
    bordude
    PSN
    bibidybobbidyboo
    Wii
    bordude / bibidybobbidyboo

Send message
    pantyfire wrote:
    Ass Crud IV Just stuck it on for the first time in ages, first story mission I get is a night time stealth mission where I have to avoid circles on the radar. In a fucking boat. Who thought these were a good idea?
    Just picked this up this week second hand from CeX. And this type of game illustrates perfectly why I will never be sucked into this full price digital only future. I can't imagine living with myself if I had permanently bought this at full price. Anyways... I read a couple of reviews and thought it sounds good, I had skipped the last 3-4 titles as they frustrated more than entertained and I liked the sound of the ship stuff so I thought i'd give it a go. I've put about 15hrs into it over 5 days and I was enjoying it, but then I woke up this morning and I have two things I can do today, one is paint some metal garden furniture that is really old and dishevelled and two is to 
    play this as a reward later. I realised I'd rather paint the chairs. The shippy bits are rather good. 
    Travelling the high seas with my little butt-kicker is quite rewarding, I usually pick a target, more often than not considerably larger than me, fire off a couple of long distance mortar shots then pile in with the foreguns, sweep down the side of the ship and give it a good old 13 cannon broadside, then circle around and pummel the unfortunate sod. The shouts of your crew and the cannon smoke are all very evocative but once you have disabled the ship the trouble starts.  The melee combat is terrible, half the time the counter button doesnt seem to register, you get attacked by 4+ opponents from all directions, the camera is too tight so you often get insta/surprise attacked, the combos take far too long to finish off the enemy and it's just not the slightest bit fluid. Then if you are attacking a larger ship you have to not only kill the crew but you also need to complete a secondary objective like climb the main mast and cut the flag down. This is where it falls apart again. The free running/climbing is still fucking terrible. The games consistency in where you have to press freerun to proceed or where you have to push the jump button to jump or simply push up is completely fucked. Sometimes you just press forward and freerun to jump gaps, sometimes you need to both and press jump, sometimes you need to jump up, sometimes you need to press up and jump. It's all a frigging mess. The responsiveness to your commands is sluggish and there is a bit of auto aim to the freerunning that seems to want to magnetise you to every fucking ledge or stack of crates that will actually hinder your movement instead of aid you. After failing a timed chase story mission for the 4th time because the game had given you 3 possible routes forward, 2 of which would actually hinder your progress and the, frankly, seemingly random freerun decision making engine decides to make me jump at an oblique fucking angle to the direction I'm actually pushing the stick, I decided to give up. My god even just letting go of the ships wheel and getting down to your cabin (something you will be doing a lot) that is literally 5 feet away is an obtusely frustrating experience. Once while quickly trying to jump from the rail I was perched on to get the floor I ended up super leaping so far that I ended up triggering the auto lift that sent me to the top of the mast, from there you choice is to jump into the sea or slowly randomly climb your way back down to the deck, either way its actually quicker to smash your brains in by hitting the deck and reload. How Ubisoft have, even by accident, never brought themselves to improve this freerunning lark is beyond me. It's the core of the game, get it right, make it fun and fluid before adding all the other shit in. As for the rest of the game, it needs to die and it's not a Ubisoft problem per se it's just a symptom of the lack of imagination present in the big releases nowadays. The game is as far as I can tell almost entirely made up of fetch quests. Almost everything is a fetch quest. Every side mission (bar the assassinations) and some of the main story quests so far are fetch quests. fetch, fetch, fetch. Want a new suit, fetch these stones found scattered across the world map, 20+ of them. want to make amends for inadvertently getting lots of assassins killed, I've marked 30+ places on the map for you to go to. Hey, look at this cool set of armour in this commandeered house. It needs 4 keys to open the door. You need to free your crew from the evil slavers, the crew have been separated into ones and twos over this map and you have to go and release 15 of them. Fuck off. As the evil slaver, why would you logically separate them? just put them all in one big group. I'm sick to death of devs using fetch quests to pad out their uninventive games. I paid £12 for this, its going back today to exchange for something probably as equally unimaginative so thank god I didnt pay the quite frankly obscene digital price for this and have it sitting there on my HD mocking me forever.

I bought the first game in the series and found it unbelievably boring and I've not touched the series since. I buy digital but only once I know the games are not piles of shit!
    Twitter: Mr Three-Dee@martingwilliams
  • The second one was quite a large improvement on the first and I genuinely enjoyed it, but after that it's just pretty much been milking the cow for all it's worth.
    Gamertag, PSN, NNID: mikemsp            3DS code: 3668 - 8117 - 9395

Currently playing: Bone
  • Yeah, second one was excellent. Subsequent ones are best viewed as expansion packs. I really enjoyed them, but I just love running about rooftops and shit.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    It's a total misstep of a series. I cringe everytime I see someone wearing merch.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Good post there Panty, it's good to get it off your chest.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I played the first to completion and enjoyed it in spite of its faults. Never really bothered with any of the others until Black Flag on PS4. Again, game has many faults, but the freedom to island hop and the ship battles were immense fun. None of that in Unity so I may just pick it up when it drops to £15.
    Get schwifty.
  • Thinking about it, Assassin's Creed was actually one of my favorite series from last gen. Fuck the haters.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Well fuck you and your Auditore pants.
  • I only played the second one. It was fun in a half-broken sort of way, but by the time I got to the end I'd had enough.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!