Just given up on...
  • That's a very specific play-style, I  much prefer mixing things up, but fair enough.
  • And that statement's general purpose enough that I'm not going to bother quoting Yoss from the last page.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I do like mixing things up it’s just that ARs aren’t part of that mix. In Titanfall that usually leaves you quite limited.
  • There's always charging across the battlefield to bop them in the face.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yep, that’s definitely fun for a bit. Doesn’t sustain a whole campaign for me.
  • Not ‘just’ but about a month ago I put God Of War down and I haven’t had any desire to go back - it’s beautifully made and i can see why people like it, but I just found it all a bit Frankenstein and a bit...boring.

- it’s not doing anything new for me in terms of how it plays. I had a similar issue with Uncharted 4 in that it felt like a really, really shiny last gen game. Every time I walked into an area and saw ‘the shiny thing’ that I had to go and tap on to progress I just got less interested.

- It seems to try to make every effort it can to seem like the most cinematic experience ever - all of which I found to be completely undermined by the unending amounts of loot, upgrades and secret tat - I think that TLOU did a much better job of making finding and foraging feel like part of the struggle personally.

- The kid just feels too synthetic to me - maybe the tech just isn’t there yet but I found the changes in mood and tone as soon as you enter combat regardless of what *just* came before too jarring.

This probably all says more about me and I’m probably not helped by the fact my time to play games is quite sporadic but I just couldn’t get on with it.
  • Yeah but is it Outrun?
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Couple of just given up ons for me:

Alien Isolation: great atmosphere, love the aesthetic, hated the insta-deaths and lack of checkpointing. These things might have bothered me less were it not a stealth game, but slowly sneaking forward for 10 or 15 minutes only to die and have to slowly cover that ground again is not my idea of fun.

i wish id played alien isolation on pc. theres a hack which keeps the xenomorph stuck in a vent for the entire game. that would be ideal. explore the station at my leisure without having to repeat sections as yoss pointed out.
  • @danclarke I felt similar about watching vids of the new tlou. Funnily enough. As the fidelity improves, shiny switches get more jarring.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Whoever started this thread has given up on the thread. Pretty fucking meta.
  • Facewon wrote:
    @danclarke I felt similar about watching vids of the new tlou. Funnily enough. As the fidelity improves, shiny switches get more jarring.

Exactly - you’ve summed up a lot of my rambling in a single sentence.
  • Devs obviously need to put more work into the fidelity of shiny switches.
  • I know the circumstances aren't great, but just given up on OP being deleted user is kinda making me chuckle.
  • Which deleted user was it?
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • danclarke wrote:
    Facewon wrote:
    @danclarke I felt similar about watching vids of the new tlou. Funnily enough. As the fidelity improves, shiny switches get more jarring.
    Exactly - you’ve summed up a lot of my rambling in a single sentence.

I get like this about some games, and then buy right into others that do almost the exact same thing.

I reckon a lot of it is just due to my mood and willingness at the time to suspend disbelief.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • This site's search functions.

And also Darkest Dungeon. Just not enjoying it at all. People live, people die, people go mad, grindy grindy grind.
  • WorKid wrote:
    This site's search functions.

You persevered longer than most, that must say something.
  • I felt it was likely to be some form of meta game, with a huge payoff. Maybe Peter Molyneux was behind it all. I was wrong.
  • Jotun, WTF. 
    Ponderous walking and controls, a heavy melee that takes an eternity to hit AND is used to trigger buttons and progress which means you are left waiting to progress all the time and, the worst sin, terrible, terrible checkpointing that drops you back at the beginning of the level that you then have to slowly traipse back through waiting forever for the heavy melee animation to play to pass all the buttons again. 

1.5 levels in and I've turned it off.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • I can cross that off my list of interesting things that keep appearing in sales then, thanks.
  • Yeah, my reaction wasn't as strong, but still, nowhere near finished it and no desire to return.
  • The most galling bit?
    As you tramp back through the entire level, the areas that in any other game would be a checkpoint, that you've triggered earlier by standing on the sigils are all still triggered. So why make me go past them all again!? Start me at the last one triggered for crying out loud.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Hollow Knight. Played for a couple of hours and it's just not clicking for me. Love the style and plenty of other elements but the lack of clarity in navigating levels and a perceived lack of progress in the early hours puts it into that category of 'I really want to like it...'.

There's definitely a good game there but I just don't have the patience for grinding through rough openings to find it any more.
  • I was pretty much convinced that would be my take on it, but I found myself enjoying it a) immediately and b) immensely.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Yeah, a couple of friends also playing said pretty much the same so it's partly my issue but it does seem to be the consensus that the early stages are hard going.

Shame as I do feel like I'm missing out to an extent but I have comparatively little gaming time these days so I don't want to waste it with something that feels like a chore.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Feeling similar Cosby. I keep going back but everywhere looks identical and I'm bored with it.
  • No point playing something that isn't floating your boat, especially as it's 30hrs to credits for any sensible first time playthrough.  You are most certainly missing out an a thoroughbred worldie though, it's the best game I've played since Trials Evo.
  • I'm just about to start Nioh. Given how difficult it is supposed to be I envisage a return visit to this thread fairly soon.
  • Skondo wrote:
    I'm just about to start Nioh. Given how difficult it is supposed to be I envisage a return visit to this thread fairly soon.

Bloody amazing game, combat thats better than bloodborne. Curtis and Dubs still play it i believe. i have the dlc to finish off, though newborn baby has meant my gaming time has been next to zero.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!