Just given up on...
  • Webbins wrote:
    Shame about Ruiner, Face. Some games just aren't your thing, even with advice. I feel if you'd seen me play it, it would enlighten you, not that I was boss at it but I took to the style required to beat it. Some of the bosses were pad smasher worthy though.

Yeah. Just too many games, and I'm an old dog and some new tricks never come to me

Getting better at absolute drift though.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Not sure if I've given up on it but have drifted away from Horizon: Zero Dawn. It's a great game, but I think I spent too long doing all the icons I possibly could in an area before moving on with the story and therefore getting a bit bored. I should just plough on through the storyline really.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • I've started and stopped with HZD three times now. I just don't find it engaging unfortunately.

Given up on God of War. It's just not fun. I've had more fun in the first twenty minutes of Spiderman than I have in five or six hours of God of War.
  • Probably grim dawn.

So many things right as a diablo clone but it's not actually exciting. And the good Loot versus shit to just turf doesn't seem well balanced.

Tried out torchlight 2 as well. Promising on some fronts, but controller integration on pc isnt that great. Hmmmm.

So that's 2 probably ditched.

Oh, and Dex. Tried it. Possibily spoiled by dead cells tight controls. Movement and fighting unnecessarily clunking and slow.

A shame, as it could have been a great 2d action a
    RPG. Story and setting solid, nice enough to look at. But meh.

• Tokyo 42.

Everything's too small and I can't see what's going on from my sofa. Also, the aiming is a little fiddly with a joypad.
  • I adored the game aesthetically, gameplay mechanisms needed to be orders of magnitude tighter and refined. Such a shame, it could've been a absolute pearler.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • I do wonder how different it'd be on PC; that's obviously what it was designed for.
  • The other night I started, and then gave up on, Adr1ft.

I really like how it looks and (mostly) like how it controls. But the music seemed to be aiming for the tension-inducing Gravity soundtrack, but horribly failing and just being an irritant.

The whole oxygen thing is just annoying as fuck. Again, aiming for tension, but just fucking irritating.

There’s also a bit of a lack of direction. Fair enough, the space station has been torn apart but it’s still, largely, by the look of the debris, in the right layout. I don’t know my way about, but the character I’m controlling really should, so I don’t think it’s unreasonable to get a bit of help from her. I was tasked to do three things. I did two, then found myself being tasked with another three things, and it’s unclear if I need to do them to complete the third of the first three, or if I’ve accidentally moved on prematurely.

However, the final nail in the coffin was when one oxygen-depletion death lead to me being stuck in one area. I have not yet unlocked two of the doors that could get me out of there, and the third, which I had been passing through in both directions, trying to work out what the fuck I’m meant to be doing or where the fuck I’m meant to be going, no longer thinks I’ve done whatever I did for it to be unlocked.

I couldn’t face replaying those early stages (when the oxygen isssue is worse) and gave up.
  • Trying spelunky again. Hmmm.

Some of these traps a bullshit.

Someone talk me into it.
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    I gave Tokyo 42 a total of 10 minutes. Almost immediately after exiting my pad I got stuck on the scenery and just died again and again. Gave up after 5 deaths.
    It's a goddamn snoozefest out there.
  • @Facewon It’s a perfect 10. I can’t get on with it myself, but everything about the design oozes quality. Derek Yu is a smart cookie.
  • Yeah. I can see quality. I just can't see enjoyment yet.
  • Like every rogue like you just gotta learn it.
  • It's no dead cells....

• Because there are a lot more variables in play and each run is genuinely different. It's not just about what equipment you get, but how you improvise through each situation with scarce resources, and the risks you're willing to take. Although it's certainly overly harsh at times.

I don't know how much you've played but there are some basic tips that will help - carrying an item to set off traps, making ropes go downwards, etc.
  • Subterrain.

Everything wrong with pc gaming? Top down survival game with the most unnecessarily awful UI ever. Just constantly poor decisions on what triggers what and what things mean.

Uninstalled because I blew myself up trying to work out a menu.

Fuck you.
  • Okami on Switch

This is the third time I’ve bought Okami and bounced right off it, so have no one to blame by myself!

Always look at the beautiful graphics and convince myself that I’ll give it a proper go this time.  But outside the graphics and settin there’s just not much I enjoy.

Combat isn’t much fun with a single attack button, a camera that is a bit off and lots of drawing on screen for special moves.  I was actively avoiding it before long and dismaid when a random foe ran me down.  Way too much talking with NPCs sometimes even having to talk to the same bloke multiple times in a row to get to the point.  Comedy sidekick who also won’t shut up.

About 3 hours in I wasn’t sure where to go next, the thought of walking around a village asking people what to do bummed me out.  Thought about seeking a guide to find out, then fought, maybe just stop playing if you don’t like it much!  I’m sure it gets better but I’m happy to leave it there.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • Played okami on the wii for a couple of hours and didn’t gel with me either, thought about getting it on the switch but your mini review highlighted many elements I seriously can’t be arsed with. Thanks for saving me £20
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • I still haven't finished it, but it does open up a fair bit eventually. Don't know that it's enough to save it from the issues you raise above.....
  • Just given up on ori and the blind Forrest for the second time, both efforts got me 50% of the way through.
    Not sure what isn’t jelling with me, I love a good metroidvania and this is very polished.  Possibly after hollow knight it feels dated, certainly the combat and level up / builds are piss poor in comparison.  Also found the new abilities weren’t very exciting after the first couple.  The pacing isn’t very good either.

• I'm glad I played it before Hollow Knight. In my head it's still a 10, but HK is one of those 're-evaluate your scoring system' games as it's miles better than the next best game in the genre.
  • Yeah, Hollow Knight is amazing so far.  Almost as good as Super Metroid.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I'm struggling with Hollow Knight a bit. Was getting into it and then another few hours later it's starting to drag.

The structure of it and a lot of the design decisions are great. I can appreciate all that. But I just don't find it much fun to play. Can't quite figure out what it is about it yet.
  • I’m with moot

• I should be with Jon and Gav, I was taking a punt on something I half expected not to like with Hollow Knight, same as Darkest Dungeon (which I did half like) and Dead Cells (which in all honestly I'm almost fully expecting not to like while hoping I will).  Just realised I'm not making tons of sense but I've just started my holiday and the whisky is out again.  HK grabbed me completely and I can't pinpoint why as plenty of what appealed while playing were things that would put me off on paper.  Exploration, for one.
  • Exploration and how the map uncovers and teases you and gradual powering up etc is what is so good about it. And the whole setting is intriguing in the same way Dark Souls is/was.
  • It’s all so tightly designed. I’m finding it hard to pick faults with it. If I was picky, I’d say annotating he map could be better.
  • I suppose I like to look at these games screen to screen first and foremost.  Ori might not have the best pacing, or much exploration to its world if that's your thing, but the character controls were good enough to hold up as a (top tier) straight 2D platformer.  Hollow Knight feels far simpler in a move/jump/swipe way, but I'd play a left to right hack 'n slash platformer with the same mechanics for sure.  I enjoyed getting from A to B in both, it was fun to double jump about or dash onto a lower platform mid fall etc, whereas something like The Mummy Demastered had me constantly thinking 'I wish I could just warp to B'.
  • I found Ori great until after the first escape sequence.  After that it gradually gets more annoying, with strange difficulty jumps, and really annoying 2nd and 3rd escape sequences.  Was happy it ended.  Although I did go back and collect everything in the game afterwards.

Very different game to HK - Ori is a continual scoller while HK is more focussed and room based.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!