Just given up on...
  • I haven't played it yet, I'm turning into Muzzy.

Edit: Dandara
  • Think that's it for RE2 remake and me.  Played through with Leon and started with Claire. was enjoying it greatly (again) until I heard Mr X footsteps.  Really poor design decision imo, breaks the tempo of the game.  Game is much better before and after him.
    Overall it's great fun though, a really intelligent remake which keeps in some of the clunkyness (e.g. the inventory) but that's part of the charm ala MGS.
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • I got an S+ rank on my third run, which was Claire’s A route. I didn’t find X much of an issue at all, I can see why people don’t like him, but as my Resi veteran friend pointed out, he stops you from slipping into a ssecure state of easy routes when progressing with puzzle parts which is something REmake did with its far nastier (IMO) Crimson Heads. Goofing him by doubling back or figuring out how to make my progress in the S+ run as efficient as possible was loads of fun. 3hrs total and 3 saves used, really looking forward to tackling it on hardcore now.
  • Psyvariar Delta.

I have these "don't really want to play games" phases from time to time (perfect time to join a gaming forum, I know) and it seems to have unfortunately coincided with this game being released on steam.

My "sort of" internet friend was bigging it up so much, and I was really looking forward to playing it, hoping it'd shake me out of my stupor, but, well, it seems really boring, I like to play aggressively, I like shmups with mechanics that reward you getting up close and personal and taking risks, and while I suppose "bullet grazing" is the epitome of "risk taking", and I did learn to love it in games like exceed 3rd where it's coupled with aggressive play, this is just uugh, you're just hanging around the bottom of the screen like in danmaku unlimited 3, hoarding and grazing, hoarding and grazing.

I'll make sure I go back to it and give it another chance, but, blimey, after so much hype, it just seems like such a let down. So boring.
  • Sorry you didn't get on with it, Clippa. I always enjoyed buzz / bullet grazing (no more than any other mechanic, mind), and thought this was a pretty damn fine example.

'Course these days my skilz are so blunted I play purely for the ambiance. Can't chain shit.
  • I'm definitely putting it down to my gaming-fatigue more than anything else.

I will give it another chance. I played it for 3 hours the day it came out and got my 1cc but didn't feel any urge to go back. It's right at the front of the shelf though for when I get my mojo back.

I don't know if anyone else gets these phases, they seem to come to me every few years, gaming is my hobby, but I can only muster a quick blast on spelunky while listening to athletico mince or frank skinner for an hour at the minute, just no passion for gaming at all.

It's not so bad since I'm doing more creative stuff with my free time, but it's a pain in the arse, I love gaming as a brainless escape and I just can't seem to give in to it at the minute.
  • Aye, I absolutely get those phases. The last time it happened was towards the end of the last console gen, I was bored with what was out there and couldn't see any light on the horizon. I disappeared from here and fell off gaming in general for a good couple of years.

Then, one lazy Sunday, I stumbled across a piece of character art for a new hero shooter that Blizzard were developing, and holy shit I just had to play that game! 'Twas the strangest thing, the way it grabbed my attention and refused to let go. I hadn't played an online multiplayer game since Quake 3 / Unreal Tournament, so it wasn't exactly one of my go-to genres, but the characters, the world design, the cinematics, I just wanted to play in that world so much. 3 years and 2000+ hours of playtime later I'm still hooked.

I s'pose what I'm saying is, don't worry about it. Inspiration can come from anywhere, and at any time. And it might not be in the shape you'd expect
  • Welcome to the forum clippa. Make yourself at home.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Yes re phases. Big time.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Yeah, i often go read some books for a while to recharge

• I’m currently just watching Netflix on commute rather than playing switch. As well as at home.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
    Nerd.
    Nerd.
    Actually if you could see my read list on my kindle you would call me a “sad nerd”

• hylian_elf wrote:
    I’m currently just watching Netflix on commute rather than playing switch. As well as at home.
    What you watching?

• Did Hill House, then Russian Doll, now watching The Good Place.
  • Sex Education earlier in year.
  • My wife watched that.  I couldn't work out when it was supposed to be set.
  • At current time. Somewhere in Wales. With an American educational institute setup or something.
  • It looked quite good.  I found myself paying attention to all scenes containing Gillian Anderson.
  • I loved it. But maybe we can discuss in TV thread instead. :)
  • You can't give up now, we've only just started.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Pool Panic. I really enjoyed it to begin with, love the art style and music. I particularly like the creepy/cheery aesthetic throughout. Everything has a weird gurning face and probably has its own little goofy sound effect.

I had a few laughs as the different balls were introduced with their various personalities, and then the variety of the levels themselves. However, once they started to introduce more complex puzzle elements, it became clear that there just wasn’t enough signposting for me.

At this point, the mildly annoying controls became much more frustrating. The combination of stick and buttons needed to make a shot was quite uncomfortable, particularly if you were making a tight shot. I found the direction would occasionally slip slightly as I was trying to press the trigger too. All in all just too fiddly.

It’s a shame it wasn’t better managed as there were some clever puzzles. The level where you had to hit the flag pole to ring the bell and bring the balls out of their tents. Or the one where you can pick up a hat and basically herd all the balls into the holes without any shots. Or the level with a lake where the balls were underwater - the underwater effect was also cool.

But it seemed for every well designed level, there were several that were poor. I have no idea how it’d be possible to complete within the shot limit for quite a few. I assume there was a key thing I was missing but that comes back to my point about signposting.

Ultimately, the wackier and more obtuse it got, the less I wanted to play. It was an exercise in frustration partly because there’s definitely something great in there. Cool ideas let down by poor implementation, unclear solutions and some awful controls.
  • I tossed a coin to play that or Crossing Souls at lunch.  Looks like luck guided me well.
  • dead cells

Don't get me wrong, the gameplay in terms of general mechanics are fun but a lack of progress over a long period of time had just killed this for me. Boss patterns are there to be learned but only managing to get to the boss every fourth or fifth run means I'm breaking that learning pattern.
    I keep going back to it again and again but it's not fun for me. Just a slog.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • The main thing that's putting me off having another go is how easily I beat the second boss (who I only saw the once). That was my last proper go. I can't remember if I worked out much of a pattern, I mostly just walloped him with turrets, traps and spam attacks. It took me ages to beat the first boss, so I'm expecting my success on the second to have been a fluke and I can't seem to motivate myself to ram my head against that for a while. I might play fixed seed runs so I can choose my weapons (which I presume is a thing post patch).
  • That's the whole thing, spending the hours playing and just getting nowhere. Learning that collecting all the weapons is pointless because it then serious raises the rnd for your runs.
    Think it would have worked better with a weapon choice tbh. But for now, it's staying on the naughty step.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • RE4

Probably an odd one to give up on, given the praise it gets.

Got as far as the big fish thing and thought, that's enough.

I think it's probably good if you want to run through it once you've played it before and know where to go.  But for me, trying to kill everyone so I can explore the area, I just find the controls and combat too annoying.  And with a few areas with waves of enemies - this isn't CoD.  It's a typical older Japanese game that majors on execution skills, but it isn't enjoyable.

There is charm in there and I can imagine it was great during it's time.

I think I enjoyed rearranging things in the attache case more than the game.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    The lake is definitely a lull but if I can entice you back it ramps way the fuck up after that
  • OK, one more attempt.
  • Ok, fishface dealth with and Chunk from The Goonies.

The atmosphere back in the village just after getting Ashely is excellent.

Might stick with it....

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!